DIY - MVS Cart Sleeves - PSD Template Available

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Have you thought of using a thin plastic for a sleeve? That'd be pretty cool, I'd think. Can't remember where I've seen em other than how some steelcase Xbox 360 games had a plastic sleeve to go over the case.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Have you thought of using a thin plastic for a sleeve? That'd be pretty cool, I'd think. Can't remember where I've seen em other than how some steelcase Xbox 360 games had a plastic sleeve to go over the case.

I know what you mean, but I would think that printing an image onto plastic would be tricky. It would need to look good and not rub off.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I know what you mean, but I would think that printing an image onto plastic would be tricky. It would need to look good and not rub off.

Hmm... Yeah, unless you stick adhesive graphics on em. I'm not sure how they'd work otherwise D:

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Update:

I had to recreate the file in a 600 DPI environment, and add the top "dust cover" flaps. I decided to get rid of the MVS label and go with a full spine-front-spine image. At this point, I'm not interested in using the game logo text, I think that the sleeve looks more modern with basic fonts.

Any other thoughts before I do a professional print job?

Metal-Slug-1.jpg

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Greetings. I ended up getting 2 sleeves printed at my local Staples store: one was 100 lb paper, while the other was 70 lb gloss paper. The heavier paper was durable, but ended up splitting and cracking during the folding process. Below are some images showing the 70 lb gloss print out:

DSC00662.jpg
DSC00664.jpg
DSC00667.jpg

Now the hardest part is finding high quality images to make other sleeves. If anyone has some scans or knows of a great resource then please let me know.

Last edited:

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Did you hand glue the edge?

Yes, I used a glue stick.

I need to adjust my measurements a bit as the printout was about 2 mm too tall and 2 mm too wide, so I may use a double-sided tape for the edge next time.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I actually like these. I think they'll look better after some shelf wear too as odd as that sounds.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I actually like these. I think they'll look better after some shelf wear too as odd as that sounds.

Reading this after the vagina thead is so fuck'n funny. :lolz::lolz:

---

All jokes aside, the box looks not bad. Very retro. NES-ish.
icon14.gif

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
did you crease the back edge of the fold on the thick stock? that would prevent spliting i suspose

fluxcore

Another Striker
Looking good! I presume there's a flap on the bottom of this latest version (i.e. all edges covered)? Will certainly make a few of these for myself eventually. Shipping on windy sleeves is just too expensive for me unfortunately :(

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Is the bottom open like a VHS box?

Yes, currently the bottom is open just like a VHS box/sleeve.

It wouldn't be hard to add the bottom flaps so that the MVS cart is completely protected. I could post 2 different template versions and anyone interested in this project could choose which version to download.

I'm in the process of refining the dimensions as a few extra millimetres made the sleeve too loose. When I finish the changes, then I'll print out the updated sleeve and see how it fits.

I should have some time this weekend so stay tuned.

fluxcore

Another Striker
There's a pretty great solution for papercraft gluing, if you are familiar with the little correction-fluid-tape dispenser rollers, it's like that, but it dispenses adhesive tape. Really fantastic for card boxes etc.

Also, I have to say I'd rather have the flap at the bottom and the open edge at the top. Seems weird to have the possibility of picking it up and having the cart fall out. I'd have these in a bookshelf anyway, so dust getting in the top isn't so much of an issue...

Last edited:

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I updated the first post to include DIY instructions, a link to download the empty photoshop template file, and cleaned up the non-essential thread history.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I like them as well - much nicer than plain white sleeves.