Neo Geo MVS 1-Slot Purchase Advice

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about buying this cabinet:

"Selling original Neo Geo Arcade game running its original MVS game board.
Mint 25inch Monitor, mint on both sides with side-art, working coin mechs. Arcade cabinet is in great condition. " - $600 Canadian

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-ga...ne/1013656046?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What I really want is a 4-slot but these things don't show up locally very often so I'm considering this one.

There aren't many pictures or details but from what you see what do you think of this machine?
The seller says it's in great shape but the joystick area doesn't look mint. It's probably just fine cosmetically but I've been looking at some of the pictures here of your cabs and many look way better (like new).

Can a 1-slot be easily converted into a 4-slot?

If so, what's a ballpark cost of the required parts?

How easy would it be to swap games from the front of the unit? If I got it I would have it backed up against a wall (or in a corner).

Would I be able to get a 4-slot marquee and is it the same size as the marquee's for the 1-slot?

Should I just hold off and wait for a 4-slot?

Also, what do you guys do with your cabs regarding game credit? I don't want to have to put in quarters and at the same time I don't want unlimited credits. I want there to be some challenge. Can you limit games to 3 or 4 credits? Would I need the UniBios in order to do something like this?

Thoughts?

TIA!

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
First that price is WAY to high for a cab in that condition. Making it a 4-slot is as easy as just pulling out the 1-slot mobo in there and slapping in a 4-slot. There would need to be some CP changes to add a game select button but by this point it's just not worth it for that cab. Wait until a 2 or 4-slot show up and you'll be much better off in the wallet and also in terms or putting the cab back to the proper condition.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If the cabinet is a 1-slot wouldn't it be Jamma wired not MVS?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If the cabinet is a 1-slot wouldn't it be Jamma wired not MVS?

Yep, but adapters can be obtained very easily.

That CP has seen better days and the price is way high. For what you want to do, it would cost a lot and the finished product (unless you're good w painting and such) wouldn't look up to par.

I'd wait it out. Not everything neo on CL or kajiji is a quality find these days.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Yep, but adapters can be obtained very easily.

Oh for sure, the point I was raising was that it wouldn't be a simple swap, there would be an additional step.

I agree with the posters above, looks like a lot of work for the money.

It is hard when you see something like that that you've been waiting for, even if the condition isn't the best, and you start to get an itchy trigger finger. I'd go with the advice, though, and wait for something better.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll take your advice and wait for something better to come along.

In USD, What would you consider to be a fair price for this particular cab?
Maybe he'd be willing to drop the price if it doesn't sell.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
OK, I found another MVS 1-slot that I'd love some advice on.

The seller is willing to let me have it for $400 Canadian (without the multicart) if he can't sell the cabinet over the next two weeks.
His current asking price is $600 CAD with the multicart.

Below are the details. Does this seem like an OK deal?
Can you tell if this was an original Neo Geo cabinet or is it just some generic box? It certainly doesn't look near as pretty as a Big Red.

--Add Details--

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/4646373707.html

***RARE*** NEO-GEO MVS ARCADE CABINET $600
Selling a NEO-GEO MVS arcade cabinet in mint condition.

1-slot Japanese motherboard -- far more reliable than 4-slot boards

Coin-operated system (key included).

25" original monitor in perfect condition with no scratches. Colours
are amazing.

Happ Pro Sticks and buttons

Original Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move MVS Cartridge + Marquee

161-in-1 NEO GEO Multigame Cartridge with Instructional Graphic
Sticker -- No need to change games!

This amazing cart combines 161 of the best Neo Geo games onto a single
Neo Geo cartridge. The cartridge uses a built-in OSD (On Screen
Display) to first graphically navigate to the game you wish to play.
Once finished playing, simply hold down Player 1 START button for 5
seconds to immediately return to the OSD game selection screen again.

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/4646373707.html

---

What do you think?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
that thing doesn't look so good... don't pay the price he's asking (400 CAD).

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
OK, I found another cabinet that I'm considering. This one is a 4-slot.
This one looks great but I haven't seen it first hand yet. He's asking $700 CAD.

He told me the Monitor is in good shape for its age and he thinks that it could probably use a cap kit in the next few years. Is this a big job? Is it something I could do myself?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-...ed/1017213055?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

"Neo Geo 4 slot arcade system for sale. I repainted everything. Fresh decals. New control panel, buttons, joys. Located in Aurora. Looking for $700.00"

Is this a reasonable price?

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
$700 for a cab with no games and a monitor needing a cap kit is insane. cap kits aren't terribly hard to do if you know what you're doing, but that's IF you know what you're doing.

i bought a big red 4-slot for $100 with a wonky monitor and Puzzle Bobble & Blazing Star carts, if that tells you anything. just wait it out. are there any auctions in your region?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
$700 for a cab with no games and a monitor needing a cap kit is insane. cap kits aren't terribly hard to do if you know what you're doing, but that's IF you know what you're doing.

i bought a big red 4-slot for $100 with a wonky monitor and Puzzle Bobble & Blazing Star carts, if that tells you anything. just wait it out. are there any auctions in your region?

This is the 3rd (and best Neo cabinet) I've seen pop-up locally (driving distance). And $600-$800 has always been the asking price. I'm beginning to suspect that these things are much easier to find in the US.
But even still that is a huge price gap.

The guy might throw in some carts. NAM-1975 being one of them... but I don't know more yet. One more? Two More? What titles? Talks are still in the works.

What would you guys say is a fair price for a very good condition Big Red with no games? I think it would help if I had a base to start with.

Right now $700 CAD is about $640 USD. If he gives me two games that would take the price down to about $570 USD if they were inexpensive games.

I appreciate the feed back. It all helps.

I'm going to go read about monitor cap kits.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If you're going to have to pay a premium (and it looks like you will) I would hold out for a mint condition cab. Do they usually sell for $600-$800 or do they just sit? That's almost candy cab territory.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you're going to have to pay a premium (and it looks like you will) I would hold out for a mint condition cab. Do they usually sell for $600-$800 or do they just sit? That's almost candy cab territory.

I haven't been looking that long but the first cabinet I was asking about in this thread is no longer posted. Could be it sold.
What's a ballpark price to pay someone to replace the caps on the monitor? It sounds like this is the only thing it might need.

What do you guys think a mint Big Red should sell for? $500 USD? Less?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't been looking that long but the first cabinet I was asking about in this thread is no longer posted. Could be it sold.
What's a ballpark price to pay someone to replace the caps on the monitor? It sounds like this is the only thing it might need.

What do you guys think a mint Big Red should sell for? $500 USD? Less?

I paid around $300 and it came with a few carts, but that was a year ago. I'd rank it as very good though, not mint condition. Unless they've had some work or never seen public use, mint doesn't really exist. That said, $400-$500 would not be unreasonable.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The one in question looks like a conversion, hardly "rare." I'd pass entirely, honestly.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I paid around $300 and it came with a few carts, but that was a year ago. I'd rank it as very good though, not mint condition. Unless they've had some work or never seen public use, mint doesn't really exist. That said, $400-$500 would not be unreasonable.

Great price! When you were looking how many did you see? Did Big Reds seems to be for sale often? Or did you have to hold out of a long while?

I understand what you're saying about 'Mint'. Not going to happen. But I don't need mint just something that looks good and not beat up.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
The one in question looks like a conversion, hardly "rare." I'd pass entirely, honestly.

This is the most recent one I've found and the best looking:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-...ed/1017213055?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Is this the one that you think is a conversion? He did say he repainted it and put on fresh decals. What makes you think it's a conversion? What are the things to look out for.
I wouldn't mind a conversion but I'd want to pay conversion prices vs. original prices.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There's usually one or two for sale within driving distance at any given time, so not that rare. Beat up/non-working cabs tend to sit or are given away.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This is the most recent one I've found and the best looking:

Is this the one that you think is a conversion? He did say he repainted it and put on fresh decals. What makes you think it's a conversion? What are the things to look out for.
I wouldn't mind a conversion but I'd want to pay conversion prices vs. original prices.

That one looks legit, http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/4646373707.html was the one I was calling a conversion.