Games that got a bum rap

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Bionic Commando achieved the rare feat of being as excellent in the arcades as it became in its bastardized NES version. Kudos.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
As far as I can remember most mainstream media over here hated hard on God Hand.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Castlevania II was ahead of its time, the choice of not only the developer, but the translation of the US version are just poor, poor examples of ruining the game. Shit should have had a map too. There's a translated version I'm playing through now, most of the the dialog is now better hints and you know what? It's got a MAP. Select button from the gods. Otherwise? CV II is top tier in my book, even with all its broken shit.

So, do you still have to walk block by block and throw holy water to find the hints? Or did they change that, too?

I can't put my finger on why throwing fire on each bush in Zelda is any different, or if it's no different at all, any takers?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Castlevania II was ahead of its time, the choice of not only the developer, but the translation of the US version are just poor, poor examples of ruining the game. Shit should have had a map too. There's a translated version I'm playing through now, most of the the dialog is now better hints and you know what? It's got a MAP. Select button from the gods. Otherwise? CV II is top tier in my book, even with all its broken shit.

The hints are poor and there was no map because NoA wanted to sell issues of Nintendo Power, which had printed both.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The hints are poor and there was no map because NoA wanted to sell issues of Nintendo Power, which had printed both.

Castlevania II is a Konami game. If they gave a fart they would have included their own map (either printed or ingame), regardless of Nintendo Power's wishes.

Fact is, that game was lazily translated and kicked out the door with a minimum of cost and effort.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Chaos Legion - I liked the way the legions were implemented into the game, specially during boss fights. Can see where it got it's bad reviews from however.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Chaos Legion - I liked the way the legions were implemented into the game, specially during boss fights. Can see where it got it's bad reviews from however.

Never saw one but I guess I should have figured it had bad reviews. Man that was a great game with a great OST and a lot of potential for a sequel. Definitely one of coolest action games I've ever played. Maxed everything out in that game lol.

Shame it wasn't better received.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So here's the deal on CV II. I read an interview a coupe of years ago and the director said in the planning stages the whole thing was that Dracula's power had corrupted everyone near where his body parts were, hence even in the JP version, everyone that you spoke to, spoke lies. The hints were still there just not how they were supposed to be. In the JP manual there is A MAP which was omitted for the US release. Why? Who knows, a lot of the poor translation is also what fucked up the game as well. The core gameplay is still there, i.e. holy water to open bricks and such. I'll get a link to the "remix" of the game to show you what was changed, I'm playing it on my PSP right now and can't wait to get my Everdrive so I can play it on the Famicom. Also, for the record, the FDS music sucks compared to the US release.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a patched rom with the map, retranslation, and saving. It's badass.

Oneeventhorizon

Rugal's Thug
I really likes Star Fox Assault on the GameCube. Sure the on foot sections sucked. But if you ignore those. The flying sections are great!

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Brave Blade. Way too many "lolz it's not Garegga so it sucks" generalizations. Play it, it's awesome.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've come to this revelation two hours ago.

3 Count Bout.

It went from being "difficult to the point of being unplayable" to "easiest Neo Geo clear of all time".

AUTOFIRE SUPLEX

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've come to this revelation two hours ago.

3 Count Bout.

It went from being "difficult to the point of being unplayable" to "easiest Neo Geo clear of all time".

AUTOFIRE SUPLEX
I think it's time to teach King of the Monsters a lesson in humility. Com can button mash faster than me? Let's see how it fares at 30 BPS.
I think I just had an epiphany, maybe this is how it's supposed to be played.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I think it's time to teach King of the Monsters a lesson in humility. Com can button mash faster than me? Let's see how it fares at 30 BPS.
I think I just had an epiphany, maybe this is how it's supposed to be played.

Try the autofire on SamSho and watch the CPU still win the clashes

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Sam Sho clashes are random. You can also not hit it and win sometimes.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What was the fighter that a magazine called "Just another fighting game from SNK"?

Was it Garou: MOTW?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What was the fighter that a magazine called "Just another fighting game from SNK"?

Was it Garou: MOTW?

No, definitely not Garou. I know what you mean as I remember the quote but can't remember the game.