SNK celebrates kof 20th anniversary with price drops

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they had more coming down the pipeline for this anniversary. We'll just have to wait and see.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
What would be better if SNK ported a bunch of kof titles to steam for kof 20th.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you were expecting here? a new full retail release? a brand new game? a giant kyo pinata?

Actually, I was expecting something along the lines of a KOF 20th Anniversary artbook. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Just take the KOF 10th anniversary artbook, add in illustrations, screenshots and sketches from KOF XI, XII, XIII, and numerous spin-offs like Maximum Impact 2, KOF '98 Ultimate Match, KOF '02 Unlimited Match, KOF Sky Stage, and so forth. Toss in some artwork from Fatal Fury (the original King Of Fighters), interviews with a few developers and illustrators, a handful of original illustrations and a brand-new cover and voila- instant artbook!

A few of the recent news threads have amused me, since a few years ago, I posted a poll asking what direction SNK Playmore would be heading in over the next few years. One of the choices was, "Nope. They're done. It's all pachislot and cell-phone games from here on out." Now, I can't recall how many people voted on that entry, but those that did may be psychic (or at least able to read the writing on the wall).

Now, I'm not quite ready to give up completely on SNKP (since all it takes is one good new game to turn things around), but I can't help but think that over the past five-odd years, SNKP has become the company Aruze originally wanted them to be.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they were the company that Aruze wanted them to be, SNKP would be releasing more games along the line of Shadow Hearts.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
I don't think they have the ability to make triple A releases anymore but I do think they should be churning out quality HD remasters of the classic series on the new consoles download services. If dross can sell for 99cents on the App Store then I'm sure most of us and a lot of people who don't know about these games would pay a few dollars for a game on Live or PSN.

You would have to think they could sell a Metal Slug Remaster, Neo Turf Masters, Garou etc for $10 a pop and come up with some good numbers?

Fygee

20 Year Member
If they were the company that Aruze wanted them to be, SNKP would be releasing more games along the line of Shadow Hearts.

I loved that game and it's sequels. I'm perfectly okay with that.

Koudelka on the other hand....

Fygee

20 Year Member
i thought koudelka was pretty good... :(

I'll put it this way, its one of the better terrible games out there. Great story and setting, good characters and music, TERRIBLE gameplay.

Sacnoth didn't really find their stride until Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ya gotta play the series in chronological order to appreciate the improvements over time.

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Wasn't the way I would like to be celebrating the 20th anniversary but SNK Playmore had their own idea in mind :P

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I don't know..... downloaded NGBC for $5..... haven't played that since my PS2 days..... fun for cheap.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Actually, I was expecting something along the lines of a KOF 20th Anniversary artbook. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Just take the KOF 10th anniversary artbook, add in illustrations, screenshots and sketches from KOF XI, XII, XIII, and numerous spin-offs like Maximum Impact 2, KOF '98 Ultimate Match, KOF '02 Unlimited Match, KOF Sky Stage, and so forth. Toss in some artwork from Fatal Fury (the original King Of Fighters), interviews with a few developers and illustrators, a handful of original illustrations and a brand-new cover and voila- instant artbook!

It seems strange that Udon hasn't brought over any SNK artbooks. I asked an Udon rep about it years ago, and he mentioned that some the people who were into the Udon-published Capcom artbooks vociferously disliked SNK stuff. People would drop by Udon's convention booths to pick up Street Fighter books and quip about how they hated SNK.

I suspect that the real reason is the lack of new SNK artbooks and the fact that the company just isn't as popular as Capcom. Still, I wonder if there's some Capcom-SNK nerd rivalry lingering out there.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I don't know..... downloaded NGBC for $5..... haven't played that since my PS2 days..... fun for cheap.

Normally, I avoid buying downloadable video games as I'd much rather purchase more physical media like cartridges and discs. That being said, I just picked up Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, KOF Sky Stage, Metal Slug 3, and NeoGeo Battle Coliseum for the Microsoft XBOX 360 at just $5.00 apiece. Even I'm impressed with that deal! ;)