Snes cart prices

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
No. No. No. That is not at all the same. Why is it that everyone clumps the flashcarts into the emulation camp? Emulation is EMULATING the hardware. Flash carts run on the ACTUAL hardware.

thanks captain obvious. what i mean by same, is that you can just download these games without paying the outrageous game prices on your pc.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
thanks captain obvious. what i mean by same, is that you can just download these games without paying the outrageous game prices on your pc.

But I believe we agree that the experience of playing an emulator VS playing the game on a flashcart is not the same, right?

Ya why do you think it's so expensive.

Not really, by that reasoning Legend of Success Joe is better than any of the Metal Slug games on MVS because it's more expensive, and I think very few people think that way. I think it all comes down to rarity combined with collectors desiring the game for completeness and another ingredients, I'm pretty sure.

Regards.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not really, by that reasoning Legend of Success Joe is better than any of the Metal Slug games on MVS because it's more expensive, and I think very few people think that way. I think it all comes down to rarity combined with collectors desiring the game for completeness and another ingredients, I'm pretty sure.

Regards.

I disagree.

Re to the mother fuckin gards.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have noticed that there are a lot of reproduction carts flooding the market for the super nintendo. In a few years all you will be seeing when looking for SNES games at a store will be repros.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have noticed that there are a lot of reproduction carts flooding the market for the super nintendo. In a few years all you will be seeing when looking for SNES games at a store will be repros.

You know, I'm a drooling caveman with severe brain damage when it comes to the tech/romchip/cost/eprom/boot-technique side of things, so I'm not saying it's possible for the fake to ever become indistinguishable from what's real, but..

my prediction is that eventually there will be so many "repro" bootlegs out there that the overwhelming majority of people will accept them, and they will become one in the same as the real thing. Earthbound becomes a $20 game whether it's real or fake, because you won't be able to find any people out there who care about authenticity by this point.

One guy disagreed with me a few pages back, so thankfully I don't think this will ever happen.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Well OP, it's time to stop thinkin' and start flippin'.

Seriously though, the way you feel about a game has no bearing on what a market dictates, obviously.

It's a really bad time to get into the SNES from scratch. It's a bad time buying games for any console really, but the SNES has become the worst.

Maybe it's because many of the kiddies who started with N64 since birth have realized it's a crumby system to collect for and have shifted their collector's mentality and money toward the SNES, on top of the fan base that never really went away to begin with. I don't know, it just seems like it's the "it" Nintendo system now.

I spent $80 on a loose Wild Guns at a FLEA MARKET almost three years ago. I felt like a total sucker. Not so much now.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, I've over-paid for Hagane, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, MMX3 etc. because deep down I knew that fabled day of "seein' it at da yardsale for $5" would never come like it supposedly has to many.

In retrospect, paying the prices I did wasn't a bad move at all.

I'm curious, andsuchisdeath. Admittedly, I'm shocked with today's prices for retro video games in general. So, with this in mind, do you see a coming crash in this market? :conf:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm curious, andsuchisdeath. Admittedly, I'm shocked with today's prices for retro video games in general. So, with this in mind, do you see a coming crash in this market? :conf:

I think I answered this question in post #80.

Hey I don't know though.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
still remember people were dumping SNES/Genesis games when PS1 first came out.......................

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
still remember people were dumping SNES/Genesis games when PS1 first came out.......................

Hindsight, right? There are a ton of people dumping their PS3, 360, and Wii games now that the new consoles are out. It won't be as big as with 16-bit, but there will be some sort of revival for these platforms once today's youth grows up and remembers their childhoods through rose-tinted glasses.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Once digital only games become the standard in the next few years people will yearn for the "pick up and play your game" physical media era to some degree, but it's a generational thing. Most kids these days getting a ps4 of Xbone for their first consoles aren't really going to care as much. As for the price of cartridge based games coming down, not a chance in hell unless there's another depression, recession, or massive correction. Reproductions will probably put the same dent into this as VC releases (very small). Of course these cartridges will fail eventually, but things like everdrives will help keep those with retro consoles happy.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
It's hard that bubble gonna pop in few years.
Million of guys who played those carts now are 30-40 yo so they can afford a 3-digit game, and at least a small percentage of them probably will be progressively wealthier until 60-70 yo.
Not to mention new rich peoples in other contries like China, Brazil or Russia who now have new economical possibilities and wish to recover what they lost. Indeed their collector's scene is growing fast.

On the other side, shitty carton boxes, batteries leeking, unintentional loss or damage will decrease the available quantity of this material.

Probably prices will know a stabilization like comics or LP's market, and only when our generation will be on the sunset's way will know a big loss of interest because has not that cultural value like stamps/books/coins.

Has no sense to hope that Hagane drops to 50$ in few years, it's not a passenger fashion like telephone cards in the nineties...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's hard that bubble gonna pop in few years.
Million of guys who played those carts now are 30-40 yo so they can afford a 3-digit game, and at least a small percentage of them probably will be progressively wealthier until 60-70 yo.
Not to mention new rich peoples in other contries like China, Brazil or Russia who now have new economical possibilities and wish to recover what they lost. Indeed their collector's scene is growing fast.

On the other side, shitty carton boxes, batteries leeking, unintentional loss or damage will decrease the available quantity of this material.

Probably prices will know a stabilization like comics or LP's market, and only when our generation will be on the sunset's way will know a big loss of interest because has not that cultural value like stamps/books/coins.

Has no sense to hope that Hagane drops to 50$ in few years, it's not a passenger fashion like telephone cards in the nineties...

Video games are an odd collectible to me. To me, their value is playing them...not looking at them. They're fun to display, but to me, that is not why I have/had them. Once you can get the exact same experience from a copy...I no longer needed the real thing. Once a good emulation machine with 720-1080 output and OEM controller inputs hits the market...I'm done with the physical hardware nearly 100%. I'd keep a few sentimental games like SMB or Zelda?..but everything else? Gone baby gone. I'll get teh romz on my box, hook up an OEM controller and blaze it in modern HD glory...and never look back.

I guess it's that I've played nearly all of these costly games...to death. I don't consider many of these titles be it SNES or otherwise to be worth $50, $100, $150+. They're good...but not THAT good...

Case in point...once I could easily obtain Sega CD roms and burn them on a disc so my OEM hardware could play them...I was on that system like a fly on shit. Before that? Wouldn't even touch the thing with as much as the good games were demanding. Same goes with a DUO R and Dracula X. I didn't get one until I could pirate the game and burn it...only then did I get the system. No way in hell I would ever drop what people are demanding for a real copy of that game.

Last edited: