Snes cart prices

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I heared Demon's Cresr was recalled because it wasn't very good, hence the rarity, hence the price.

I actually enjoy it. A fun platformer.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
It's the same way with all 16-bit era stuff. Go to one forum, "what's the deal with Genesis prices?" Go to another, "what's up with Turbografx prices?" And I'm sure everyone here knows about AES prices.

I suppose in another 5 years the PS1 generation will go into their buying frenzy.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
There was a retro game night at one of my local game stores this weekend. It was clear that the SNES is the most popular "retro" console out there. There were about 10 setups at this event, and 4 of them were SNES. There was 1 Genesis, and 2 turbo consoles. I think the SNES is just the go to console for people getting into classic games. It does have a good library, and Nintendo is the only company that are still producing consoles, so i think its just a easier sell for people. Because of this, flippers and resellers know its a market to make money in. So the price just sky rockets.

Yes turbo stuff is really expensive to, but the number of people who go after turbo games vs SNES games is heavily on the SNES side.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It's the same way with all 16-bit era stuff. Go to one forum, "what's the deal with Genesis prices?" Go to another, "what's up with Turbografx prices?" And I'm sure everyone here knows about AES prices.

I suppose in another 5 years the PS1 generation will go into their buying frenzy.

I plan on retiring then, think of the prices we could charge for mint discs. It would be god-tier profit.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Even SFC versions are getting there, I seen Pocky and Rocky SFC carts go for 100$.

I guess X2 and X3 are more expensive due to rarity, I am happy the first X didnt go crazy expensive. Thats the best Megaman X imo.

It really depends on what the title is. Rendering Ranger R2 SFC cart is probably more expensive than most retail SNES carts.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
my prediction is that eventually there will be so many "repro" bootlegs out there that the overwhelming majority of people will accept them, and they will become one in the same as the real thing. Earthbound becomes a $20 game whether it's real or fake, because you won't be able to find any people out there who care about authenticity by this point.

I don't really know the present state of the market concerning SNES bootlegs but I would imagine that its not a big area of activity - after all these were games produced on a much greater scale than any Neo Geo stuff and I doubt anybody would take the effort to do a proper full scale AF3 type operation on any of these games because the profit is simply not there so any bootlegs would be pretty easy to spot anyway.
Plus there is the matter of the Everdrive so anybody interested in just playing the game can - with the exeption of those games which have the special chips inside - just get that instead of buying some half baked repros.
I think one of the general problems is that people are more into collecting than playing. Back in the days, people often bought a game, played / finished it and sold it / swaped it to get another game. Nowadays everybody just seems to be hoarding the carts so it seems that a lot of titles which are in no way rare seldom come up for sale thus creating the impression of rarity and driving the prices up.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
"what's the deal with Genesis prices?"
"what's up with Turbografx prices?"

Not gonna lie, I read that in the Jerry Seinfeld voice.

tumblr_m31ix1Zx2b1qi8jcb.jpg

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I picked up demons crest loose last year for $50...damn the price on that has jumped huh?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I guess the thing that I really don't get is the fact that these games can be found elsewhere. I can possibly see dropping big $$ to play a game that is simply not available anywhere else…but being able to get your hands on a ROM and getting something like an Everdrive…why would someone possibly drop big $$ on one game? Drop $150 for an everdrive, get the rom, call it a day. Get any SNES game you want from that point on no matter how rare…this is exactly what I'd do if I were just getting into collecting SNES titles. I just happen to have a vast majority of games I want now, because I picked them up on the cheap years ago.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I guess the thing that I really don't get is the fact that these games can be found elsewhere. I can possibly see dropping big $$ to play a game that is simply not available anywhere else…but being able to get your hands on a ROM and getting something like an Everdrive…why would someone possibly drop big $$ on one game? Drop $150 for an everdrive, get the rom, call it a day. Get any SNES game you want from that point on no matter how rare…this is exactly what I'd do if I were just getting into collecting SNES titles. I just happen to have a vast majority of games I want now, because I picked them up on the cheap years ago.

It's all about the conversation and the boasting about how much you dropped on a game you'll never play :/

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's all about the conversation and the boasting about how much you dropped on a game you'll never play :/

This is where video game collecting eludes me.

Things are just that...things. Nearly anything that is collected is no longer made and a fake is a fake (if there is a fake available). A video game is a game...the cart (at least to me) is of little value, the game is of value. The only reason I collected SNES games is that 10+ years ago! there really was no way to play roms on the actual console, if something like an everdrive was available back then! I would have bought one no questions asked.

I despise emulation on a PC...to me it really is missing the "soul" of console gaming. That is why I bought real NES, SNES and Genesis games. Now however, with the price so many are demanding, I wouldn't even bother getting them if I could play the same ROM on the same hardware for a fraction of the price.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Im always in the market for SNES games but goddamn have the prices jumped in the last few years! I own quite few games and managed to scoop the ones I really cared about early. For the most part its gotten out of hand and I dumped money into a SD2SNES and have everything at my finger tips. It was just better for me and works for what I need.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why buy an everdrive when a Super Disk and floppies will do the trick.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Overpriced fucking games on any classic console is fucking sad. I can't wait for this market to crash and everyone's shit they paid so much for goes worthless.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Overpriced fucking games on any classic console is fucking sad. I can't wait for this market to crash and everyone's shit they paid so much for goes worthless.

What? I'd probably lie in the middle of the street and die.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Investing in video games is stupid. The bubble will pop eventually.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i hope it pops so i can get some scoops....I was in this one group where this guy posted up a Flinstone NES so fucking jacked up, label peeling n shit...He spent $375 for it & was bragging.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
i hope it pops so i can get some scoops....I was in this one group where this guy posted up a Flinstone NES so fucking jacked up, label peeling n shit...He spent $375 for it & was bragging.

Why not just buy ever drives for everything? Why waste money on a second hand cart? It's not like the devs see a dime of your money.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Why not just buy ever drives for everything? Why waste money on a second hand cart? It's not like the devs see a dime of your money.

So one can brag/post pics of dinosaur peak on social media and gaming sites for other hipsters to see.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

The same goes why not just have a mame machine...

I like having individual carts of games from my childhood. I already did the group buy for the everdrive NES, SNES, & Gen...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The same goes why not just have a mame machine...

I like having individual carts of games from my childhood. I already did the group buy for the everdrive NES, SNES, & Gen...

No. No. No. That is not at all the same. Why is it that everyone clumps the flashcarts into the emulation camp? Emulation is EMULATING the hardware. Flash carts run on the ACTUAL hardware.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
No. No. No. That is not at all the same. Why is it that everyone clumps the flashcarts into the emulation camp? Emulation is EMULATING the hardware. Flash carts run on the ACTUAL hardware.

It's like disserting about the sex of the angels. I understand the use of the flashcarts for practical purposes. I understand to spend an huge amount of money for a fetish CIB game. I DON'T understand spend a lot for a loose cart...