Why the Tommo Neo Geo X continues to be sold 6 months after contract was terminated.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I'm not sure whether it's because SNK Playmore didn't have the financial resources to take legal action against Tommo, or they're in the wrong over this and know it? It might be because Tommo had flashed some cash and bought a continued partnership? I think a hell of a lot of people were taken in by this cheapily made emulator masquerading as original hardware.

Either way they still seem to be manufacturing, promoting and selling all available accessories, games and hardware with little regard for any libel action.

Why is this? Discuss.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I can't believe there is anyone still interested in purchasing this monstrosity. I mean isn't Tommo hemorrhaging money over this crap? Why would they want to keep producing this stuff? Last i heard Tommo was found not to be in any breach of their contract but once again they should just move on and not waste anymore assets on NGX. Besides all SNKP cares about is crappy mobile games and Pachinko machines.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
There are still no signs of mega pack vol 2 so things may not be as cherry as you'd think.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Tommo must have a lot of NOS laying around, it wasn't exactly a hot seller.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
A decade down the line, the unreleased Mega Pack vol.2 will be covered in post-it notes by proto hoarders.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
There are still no signs of mega pack vol 2 so things may not be as cherry as you'd think.

Very true. I reckon negotiations are ongoing behind the scenes. Tommo must have a lot of Mega Pack Vol 1 to shift as most people that bought an X are either not interested in playing much more than what is included on the memory or realised the system is shit and re-sold it/stuck it in the attic.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
most people that bought an X are either not interested in playing much more than what is included on the memory or realised the system is shit and re-sold it/stuck it in the attic.

I'm sure it's a mixed bag.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I don't think snk actually have a case - despite their disatisfaction at the product reception the rumour is they have no cause to dissolve the license unless tommo breaches any of the stipulated conditions- which mostly revolve around ownership and branding. Both sides having acted in (legally) good faith up to a point and then falling out, I don't think we're likely to see new games being licensed.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I'm pretty shocked people are still talking about this. I did a video on the original news story way back and over a thousand people responded to it. I'll never forget that. This really should be left in the past and forgotten.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Why shocked...? It was potentially the biggest thing since kof13. Even though the product didn't live up to our expectations it got people talking about the neo and it's library in a way that I don't think any single game could have done... And the situation remains an intriguing mixed web between fan types, sink and a western publisher.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Unfortunately, due to all that exposure, even the mvs market is starting to skyrocket.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Why shocked...? It was potentially the biggest thing since kof13. Even though the product didn't live up to our expectations it got people talking about the neo and it's library in a way that I don't think any single game could have done... And the situation remains an intriguing mixed web between fan types, sink and a western publisher.

I agree. This is probably the first piece of Neo Geo Hardware that caught the attention of the wider gaming public (since it's heyday in the 90's) . Suddenly people who already knew I had a thing called a "Neo Geo" brought up the X with me after reading news coverage from their mainstream news outlet.

Unfortunately, due to all that exposure, even the mvs market is starting to skyrocket.

I have seen some ridiculously over priced AES carts. But overall the popular MVS carts I've been looking at seem to have fallen in price over the last couple of years. King Of Fighters 2002, Ultimate 11, Metal Slug etc.

Last edited:

pipes

Well, the X seems to be nicely quarantined in the UK at least.

pipes

Being witness to the ongoing and seemingly never ending struggles of the Tommo customer has made me appreciate life more. Thank you Tommo.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I think as long as Tommo isn't violating the agreement, they cant be forced to stop selling the X. I just wish SNK would get into the HW business again..... stuff is pretty good. Just think about how much pounding their systems have had in the 24+ years since release.... still working.

pipes

This thread really is irrelevant at this point. Tommo isn't pushing that X garbage anymore. It's a failure, they know it. If they could go back to the day before its release...this thing wouldn't exist right now. They'd all be piled up at the bottom of a landfill somewhere.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I thought this was the Neo Geo Pocket sub-forum now.

pipes

I guess this place is still here so it can serve as a reminder to anyone else that intends on dreaming up another stupid idea for a Neo Geo console in the future. Mega Packs and Rocket Cables will forever act as a deterant to those with thoughts of leaching off of our beloved Neo Geo ever again. Fuck you for trying Tommo.