Baseball and the Neo Geo

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
You can certainly make the argument that Baseball Stars Pro, Baseball Stars 2 and 2020 are some of the best pick up and play sports games ever made. I love them all for different reason, but which do you think is the absolute best? I think most would say BS2 but I can really see a case made for each one.

These games were shining examples of how sports games just needed to be fun and have personality... not updated rosters and league reps censoring some of the "undesirable realities" of the actual sport.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
BBS2 overall is probably my favorite. Definitely the go-to choice when playing pals head to head. However, if playing a full season on my own (which I recommend) I love 2020... you'll just need to have a memory card for that... and a console/machine that'll take one.

Last edited:

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
BS2 for me as well. I haven't really played the BSP though.

What about it might make it better than BS2?

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
BS2 for me as well. I haven't really played the BSP though.

What about it might make it better than BS2?

I actually like BSP a lot. It's more difficult; and there is individualized/view-able player stats... it also has hot, mulleted female players that throw underhanded. Sexy.

BS2 blows it away presentation wise though.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I usually hate Baseball but I found BS2 actually fun. SNK has that cool quirk with sports games. I think that Neo Turf Masters is the best golf game ever made. It's the only Golf game I would ever play at least.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

An early video, so not that great. But it looks at all three baseball games on the Neo.

Everyone says that seasons are awesome in 2020. I wish my CMVS took a memory card. :( Can I just do it on my Neo CD?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

An early video, so not that great. But it looks at all three baseball games on the Neo.

Everyone says that seasons are awesome in 2020....

Jibba pron! ;) Nice vid.

Everyone? Don't listen to Panda, I kept preaching to him to do a 2020 season a year or 2 ago. :lolz: For me, it really does take a season to suck me into a good 2020 experience. Never been a fan of a quick game of it.

Edit - I'm def, not the first to recommend a full season, just often overlooked. DOO EEEETT!

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
With not watching the above video, this is my vision of what I would like in a Baseball Stars 3 type game. The presentation of Baseball Stars 2, the season mode of 2020, and the control of my players stats and the team roster of Baseball Stars for the NES. If you've played these three games to any extent you'll see that all of them have their pluses. Man, I could only imagine how well the game would do across mutliple platforms. I'm not talking using Neo Geo hardware, but more emulating the look of the game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I love BBS2 as it always brings me back to my steroid BB days when I used to collect BB cards. I used to go to a place called Triple Play Sports Cards. Every Sunday they would hold auctions for baseball cards. During the week people would bring in cards they want auctioned off and they get put in baggies on a wall with a bidding sheet attached. People would bid on them during the week by writing their bid on the paper and the auctions would end on Sunday at 12pm. I don't know why I was so obsessed with 1987 Tops cards. Maybe it was the wood grain look.

That's when I loved watching BB. Stuff was just unreal. Did they start a steroid division yet like bodybuilding?

To top things off they had 2 arcade cabs, both dedicated cabs from what I remember. Final Fight and Bubble Bobble.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Didn't Upper Deck make a splash for a bit? I remember those being premier priced and had the holo logo on all the cards.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Perhaps the Windy City bias clouded reality for your area. Everywhere else, it was about the 89 Griffey Jr. I think. ;)

Gotta agree with this. I remember those Upper Deck cards being big well before Jordan decided to try out baseball.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I started buying baseball cards in 86, but 87 was the first year that I was basically spending ALL of my allowance on them. And I was a Topps man, too. A few years ago I got rid of all my my boxes of worthless cards and just kept the ones that were either somewhat collectible, or had sentimental value.

And fuck Upper Deck, man. They started the trend that ended up killing baseball cards. TOPPS 4 LYFE.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
And fuck Upper Deck, man. They started the trend that ended up killing baseball cards. TOPPS 4 LYFE.

I can kinda feel you on this too. When UD started, the "premium" cards started coming out. I think LEAF had a go, then all the insert craze and bullshit started which is about the time I got out too.

Topps was great as the Costco in San Jose near me carried the 87s throughout the year. Hell, I think the place was actually called Price Club back then. All I know is that I felt extremely lucky at the time to get a whole damn box of cards. I remember I had that Bo Jackson craze too like most kids at the time. The packs Donruss and Fleer were those "special" 1-off purchases for good grades and crap. Ah, the good 'ol days.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
I can kinda feel you on this too. When UD started, the "premium" cards started coming out. I think LEAF had a go, then all the insert craze and bullshit started which is about the time I got out too.

Topps was great as the Costco in San Jose near me carried the 87s throughout the year. Hell, I think the place was actually called Price Club back then. All I know is that I felt extremely lucky at the time to get a whole damn box of cards. I remember I had that Bo Jackson craze too like most kids at the time. The packs Donruss and Fleer were those "special" 1-off purchases for good grades and crap. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Absolutely! FUCK UPPER DECK! That's when I fell out of collecting. My friends were all about Upper Deck "complete sets." Everyone needed the unopened complete set or just the rare insert cards. When it stopped being about the individual cards and players I lost interest. Or maybe I just subconsciously liked that stale shitty gum.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member

Everyone says that seasons are awesome in 2020. I wish my CMVS took a memory card. :( Can I just do it on my Neo CD?

Really enjoyed the video Jibba!

I love all the sports games on the Neo-Geo, it doesn't a good job at making these types of games fun!

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I went through and watched a few of those videos, would be awesome to see some more on the pce and neo. +1 to 2020 baseball, it is a lot of fun to play.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I went through and watched a few of those videos, would be awesome to see some more on the pce and neo.

Well, whenever I get around to finishing it, the next video is about Rondo of Blood. So there's some PCE love.

I never saw Topps for sale at Costco, but I did buy a box of Score there once. Ended up being one of the most worthless sets of cards in history. Although I did find a signed Chuck Knoblauch limited numbered insert card in that box. It's probably the only card I have left from that box, come to think of it. 92 Score, I think...

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I started buying baseball cards in 86, but 87 was the first year that I was basically spending ALL of my allowance on them. And I was a Topps man, too. A few years ago I got rid of all my my boxes of worthless cards and just kept the ones that were either somewhat collectible, or had sentimental value.

BS2 gets mmy vote.... It reminds me of playing a druged-up Roger Clemens MVP baseball on the SNES.

Don't be hating on the UD cards... Few people knew the secret of the gold hologram UD symbols when you purchased a factory set. Regular hologram UD symbols were silver.