Baseball and the Neo Geo

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I vaguely remember that Nolan Ryan was a badass around 87-89(?) and hit some milestone like 2k or 5k strikeouts. I can't remember. I had an Upper Deck KGJ rookie card that had a misprint, I think the back was upside down or something. I sold that to the store owner for a month's worth of free credits on the arcade machines. Win-win for him, it was his machines and he used tokens so it's not like I could run off with quarters...lol

And to think only now in 2013-2014 did I finally own a Bubble Bobble PCB to call my own.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I was obsessed with baseball cards as a kid.

I still have some of them, but I'd be shocked if I owned a card printed after 1996.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Jibbajaba. It's Heavenly bodies, not Celestial bodies.

I have no doubt that the Doctor of Desire is rolling in his grave now.

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
images.jpg

This card got me hooked on collecting. Griffey launched Upper Deck into the stratosphere and UD's quality/ holograms were unrivaled at the time.

I freaking love 2020 and BS2 but I found BS Pro a huge let down. The graphic style is weird and it doesn't play as well as NES Baseball Stars. Maybe if I played it in '90 I'd have a different opinion?

NES Baseball Stars had Contra-level infamy in my neighborhood. We used to sit around for hours taking turns, watching each-other play. Maybe it was seeing your name in the game, stat tracking or the gorgeous gameplay/ graphics and great music?

That game was magical back then, I fucking miss that shit.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
If you like Baseball Stars on the NES, do yourself a favor and check out Baseball Stars II. It was largely overlooked because it came out late in the NES' life (the SNES and Genesis were already out) but it is in my opinion the best baseball game on the system.

Baseball-Stars-2-nes-gameplay-screenshot-cover.jpg
baseball_stars_ii.gif

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
With all the hype in this thread of BSP, I might have to pick one up...

The most expensive (non autographed) card I ever had was the Topps team USA Mark McGuire. My dad bought a box the year I was born and we opened them up some time later. Then I think its price plummeted after the steroid scandal. I dunno. I lost interest in baseball after the strike & didn't really get back into it until like 2004.

Then there was the Williams Slugfest Baseball pinball machine that gave you free cards. Of course the owners always put a bunch of duds in there...

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
If you like Baseball Stars on the NES, do yourself a favor and check out Baseball Stars II. It was largely overlooked because it came out late in the NES' life (the SNES and Genesis were already out) but it is in my opinion the best baseball game on the system.

Thanks for the heads up! Always thought 2 was a bastardization, didn't realize SNK developed it.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
I'd definitely go with Baseball Stars 2 on this one. The gameplay is spot-on, and the players are so large on-screen, which is what really wowed me about MVS originally.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've always been partial to Baseball Stars 2, as well, but you guys have got me itching to try a season on Super Baseball 2020. I need to get me a working memory card setup.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Pro is my favorite because the graphic style is so boss! My all time favorite is Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB on SNES. All the Neo Geo games are awesome!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
2020 for me. There's just something about having robots and chicks to play with, stuff that normally wouldn't be in a baseball game.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
OK, one thing that's bothered me over the years. What the hell is the announcers name? I can never make it out in the intro to BS2... Michael Beer? Michael Beard? I'm seriously curious about whatever happened to this dude. Does he sit around drinking all day; praying and hoping that the call will come for Baseball Stars 3?... I hope so!

Edit: Alright, nevermind. Found this on the SNK Wiki:

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Beard

Last edited: