Anybody into the Amiga Cd32?

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Looking for some game recommendations and any tips about the system. I've read a couple places that you can use a 3 button Sega Genesis controller. Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Here is my tip, get an A1200 or better still emulate it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The NTSC and PAL compatibility is a problem. I have a converter, and some games still don't work.
There's a ton of great games, but you can play them all on an A1200 too. It's just a more versatile platform.

I've heard conflicting messages about using a Genny controller, so I haven't tried.
Picked up about 20 more games last year though :)

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
I have one, NTSC. Super cool system, but mine goes mostly unused. The PAL/NTSC issue is the biggest pain in the rear. I used to have a PAL capable TV, not so much anymore. Still, its useful for some NTSC games.

For me, its a magical, flantastical key to a a bunch of weird-ass European games that aren't available on anything else.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
I have one, NTSC. Super cool system, but mine goes mostly unused. The PAL/NTSC issue is the biggest pain in the rear. I used to have a PAL capable TV, not so much anymore. Still, its useful for some NTSC games.

For me, its a magical, flantastical key to a a bunch of weird-ass European games that aren't available on anything else.

This is what intrigued me about the system. I enjoy playing off the beaten path type games.

What are people's favorite games?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cool thing I found out about newer Samsung LCD TV's... I found out they can take both 50/60Hz signals just fine, and just about every resolution you can throw at it (lower resolutions do look like pixellated shit of course though). If you're looking for a TV to play the PAL system on though, look no further.

This upscaler does 50/60Hz too with the press of a button:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2B9Z20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Akira - It's not great, but it's unique to Amiga. It's neat.

Adventure games - CD32 versions are almost always talkie. Simon the Sorcerer, Beneath the Steel Sky, Dark Seed.

DragonStone - Zelda clone

Speris Legacy - A better Zelda Clone. LttP.

Exile - Adventure Platformer. Jetpack like Hero

Fury of the Furries - This embodies everything Amiga platformer. Amazing game.

Heimdall - Like Landstalker on Genny.

HeroQuest - Kind of a weird RPG. I think unique to Amiga.

Lotus Trilogy

Platformers - Flink, SuperFrog, Arabian Nights

ATV

Anything Team 17 and Core Design

Alien Breed and Chaos Engine.

Gloom -the only FPS that is playable. Avoid the rest.

Avoid any FMV games. worse implementation ever.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. I've got a Samsung TV so I'll see if it can handle the signal when I get my system in.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
There are some ISO's floating around that have 100's of Amiga games on them, and they play on the CD32.
These are not as common with the fall of underground-gamer, but I think I have them saved if you cant track them down.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
There are some ISO's floating around that have 100's of Amiga games on them, and they play on the CD32.
These are not as common with the fall of underground-gamer, but I think I have them saved if you cant track them down.

There's a guy...on the English Amiga Board I think...who made a really nice package for creating your own CD32 compilations. I've made some decent ones with games that are playable on NTSC 32. My favs to play:

PC Kid (AKA Bonk's Adventure) - Hands down, best version of this game. Made by Factor 5, so it doesn't suck.
Turrican - Might seem a bit shit at first and the game will probably kick you ass the first few times. Keep on playing and you'll eventually get why people like it.
Apidya (must be played in PAL mode) - Super cool Gradius clone.

That's all that's coming to mind for the time being. I guess I haven't played for a long time.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Bump!

So I got my system up and running. One thing I can confirm is that the 3-button original Sega Genesis/Megadrive controller does work. However, the 6 button does not work 100% correctly. I only have Chaos Engine so far but I'm having a good time with it. And yes, the stock Amiga controller's d-pad might the worst in history.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
it's a piece of shit.
This.

I had one briefly and didn't mind Morph and Arabian Nights. I wouldn't have minded getting Lotus Trilogy and IK+ for it.

But overall, it was gash. And that's coming from someone who enjoys the 3DO and Jag btw...

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
Thank you for this thread. I recently picked up one of these and needed some game suggestions to look for. Now I just need to find a controller. (Mine came with a mouse and educational software called Socrates. I think it was in a Dr's office or something.)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Broken and I are both Amiga guys.

he's active on their forum, I lurk. You can join there and they're very very helpful.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
If you plug in an Amiga mouse you can switch to Pal mode. Helps out a bit but some games are still messed up.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Was looking into a Indivision AGA MK2 4000D/CD32 adapter. Can do VGA dvi HDMI out. Says it can display all screen modes at 60hz.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Best piece of advice I can give you when dealing with the Amiga:

Regardless of what model you buy, get a PAL machine and a PAL/50Hz capable display.

virtually everything on the internet available to download is European software and almost all of it runs at 50Hz. You can run them at 60 Hz, but they will run too fast and music out of sync.

If you are even remotely serious about an Amiga, get a European PAL machine. All the good stuff is Euro.