Diagonals in Magician Lord / Cyber Lip

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I've always felt the controls in Magician Lord and Cyber Lip felt a bit off, but I never really thought about what it is. So I decided to do some experimenting and pay close attention to see if I can nail down what it is.

In Magician Lord, it seems that diagonals are treated differently depending on what you are doing. Hold down to duck, then roll the stick over to a diagonal: you stay ducking and noting happens. Hold a direction and start walking, then roll the stick down to a diagonal: you keep walking. It gets even weirder if I keep holding this diagonal and press attack: there's a quick duck for that attack, then I stand up and keep walking. D'oh!

I guess the solution for me is to just try to avoid using diagonals all together, as the game is rather unfriendly towards "oops" inputs.

Next up, Cyber Lip. This is another one I've had some weird control issues with. Sometimes when I'm walking, a roll to diagonal (up or down) kicks in right away, other times it takes a second or so before it registers.

I think this one is related to shooting. If I stop attacking and roll the stick, it works. If I'm shooing, sometimes the roll gets ignored for a bit. This is most noticeable when using the full-auto powerup and holding down the button.

So I guess the solution here is to be mindful of my button mashing when I need quick maneuvers. It's embarrassing to walk right into stuff instead of ducking, lol.