Very 1st Arcade Game you ever played?

Missile

Another Striker
Space Invaders, but wasn't at the time of release. I remeber thinking it was cool you could hide behind the shields, so I would do that a lot and not really play it properly.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I honestly can't recall the first arcade game I played.

I remember playing Bubble Bobble.
I remember playing Super Punch-Out and thinking about how different it was from the NES version.
I remember playing After Burner.
I remember playing Street Fighter.

And I remember everything from the arcade boom of the early 90s.

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
Most likely Galaga. At the first opportunity I could get out of my parents reach with a coin in my hand :lolz:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Street Figher 1 or Warriors of Fate, can't remember which. Just played those games on mame the other day, WoF seems to age well, but SF1 is total ass.

losgunn

n00b
My first arcade game was a combo Pac Man/Galaga cabinet that was tucked into a corner of the local bowling alley's pool room.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I don't remember, but it was most likely one of the standard popular games of the early/mid 80s.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
"Tetris" sit-down table style was the first arcade that I can remember...

but "Mortal Kombat" is the first arcade experience that I'll never forget. I was 12 and my cousin was 7... we stayed in the arcade for hours and didn't bother going on any rides at the theme park. We couldn't believe what we were watching and I remember seeing Raiden's fatality. JAW. HIT. THE. FLOOR.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hmm, let's see...it was either 1942 in a Bradlees department store...

...Or Renegade and Sky Shark in an Embassy Suites hotel in Texas.

I think it was all around the same time in the mid 80s.

MartyFmTowns

Banned
My first games in arcades was dangar ufo robo and Mr Heli very enjoyable games and I think that my snk first game was samurai shodown and sidekick

Martyr

n00b
I think that should be A.P.B by Atari, awesome game (as far as I can remember).

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. in my neighbor's garage. His dad owned a Chinese restaurant and kept spare cabinets in their garage - I spent a lot of time in there as a youngin'

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

My first games was Quartet. I had no idea what I was doing.

Last edited:

tcdev

NEST Puppet
I remember distinctly - Pong!

I used to be 'encouraged' to do gymnastics one evening per week at the local Police Citizens Youth Club when I was in primary school - ie. before '78. I really disliked gymnastics, so part of the bribe to go was that I'd be allowed to play a single game of Pong after class. As soon as the class finished I'd race out to the machine when my father came to pick me up; it was definitely the highlight of the night - or even the week!

Next was Space Invaders, then Galaxian. After that it's a blur...

EDIT: Actually, Pong was the first arcade video game I ever played. I recall playing a completely mechanical car racing game, with the road on either a rotating drum, or a loop of material. The car was like a matchbox car on a stick, that was controlled directly with a steering wheel to move left/right. I can't recall how the game registered 'crashes' or whether there were any obstacles at all; maybe you had to simple stay on the road? The game was at one of the local shopping centres, and I was quite young, so this was probably early-mid 70's.

The shopping centre was completely demolished many, many years ago, replaced by a much more modern shopping centre topped by residential towers. I now have an office just up the road from there, and on the odd occasion I pop down at lunchtime, I'm reminded of that game.

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
As I recall, the first few arcade games I played were Rampage, Operation Wolf and Final Fight at Wunderland. Only a nickel to play! (plus the cover charge) ;)

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm not sure of the first to be exact but I was a huge marvel/x-men fan as a kid growing up in the 90s, remember that awesome x-men cartoon! (yes I did re-watch it on netflix recently ha ha) anyway I nearly passed out when I saw the mega widescreen 6 player cab in a Perth Arcade in Australia whilst on vacation there in the early 90s. Playing it again on my PS3 isn't the same:(

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
Galaga and Space Invaders at a bakery. Then Rastan at a grocery store by my school. I used to skip school to play Rastan. Freaking game was so good and difficult.

Cubb

n00b
Donkey kong it was in a bowling ally and it was donkey kong
Could of been galga or pacman but I was drawn to donkey kong.
Of course I did play the others after.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
IIRC, it was Samurai Shodown at a Pizza Hut.

Might be why NG has such a special place in my heart.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Centipede for me, down at the Cafe at the bottom of my street. Lasted about 1 minute. Much like my love life.

Most hours I spent were probably Streetfighter 2. Had one at the cafe up from my school and I was the local champ for a while. Good times, they had a SF2 cab and a Neo cab that had Pulstar and I think Nam in it. Did a mean roll and chips too so that was my afternoon sorted!

spoonz

Quiz Detective
If I remember correctly my first game was Zaxxon. My dad bought me one token and said play whatever I wanted but when I lost that was it. I barely lasted 30 seconds.