SNK PLAYMORE growing rapidly, increases Workforce 30% in one year

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
SNK PLAYMORE GROWING RAPIDLY, WORKFORCE INCREASES 30% IN ONE YEAR

Posted by Steve Hannley on 29 Jul 2014
After SNK closed in 2001, it seemed that it might be the end of an era. However, the company was restarted as SNK Playmore in 2003 and continued publishing games (although hardware still remained dormant). Amazingly, the company has survived an additional eleven years — and apparently “survived” isn’t the right verb. As of July 1 2014, the company has a workforce of 199 people. On July 1 2013, it had 151. That marks over a 30% increase year over year.

Certainly encouraging news for fans of series like Metal Slug, King of Fighters and Fatal Fury. Now let’s get a Neo Geo Pocket Color 2.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Those 199 are probably split in 100 for pachinko games, 95 for mobile games and 4 videogame designers.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
lol Neo Geo Pocket Color 2... because of course the first NGPC was a real cash cow for SNK... :rolleyes:

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Yeah maybe the should also think about a Neo Cd 3? Or maybe Hyper64-2?

I'm also sure most of the guys are working on their real cash cows = pachinko.

At least though they will stay in business and maybe make one or two real video games each 5 years as well.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Pachinko??? Niiioooo~! Bad pachinko.... BAD!!!! *slaps pachinko on the wrist*

6 1/2 Minute trailer of Fatal Fury Premium pachi

You wonder where they waste their money, resources, 3D artists. Pachi shit...

dan3skate

Quiz Detective
I wonder if Konami is feeling similar trends. I know they are big into slot machines in addition to their stellar video games..

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
6 1/2 Minute trailer of Fatal Fury Premium pachi

You wonder where they waste their money, resources, 3D artists. Pachi shit...

I have to say though it's insane how sophisticated those slot machines are. I mean here in europe our fruity slot machines are completely bare bone. A monitor with cut scenes? No way. Many different modes of play with attract sequences? No way ever.
Japanese people are very strange.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
199 employees, all versed in the skill of cock-teasing.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I wonder if thry ever come here and what they think of it all?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I remember reading an article a while back about how poor the work environment in SNK was. How they slept at their desks, worked overtime with no pay etc.. I believe this was during the development of KoF12.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I remember reading an article a while back about how poor the work environment in SNK was. How they slept at their desks, worked overtime with no pay etc.. I believe this was during the development of KoF12.

Sounds like crunch time. Hard to tell if the devs took it easy for the first 80% of the programming cycle and reaped the rewards or weren't given enough time to get their job done.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Sadly that's fairly common in the video game development industry as a whole.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Procrastination isn't limited to just the vg development industry.

Procrastination doesn't have anything to do with it. There's numerous that game companies work their employees to complete exhaustion, especially during crunch time before a game goes Gold. Having a three hour nap after working 20 hours straight is considered procrastinating. If you haven't already, read up on some of the horror stories from the development of L.A. Noire.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Was there any gameplay in that video? I'm starting to hate the way video game marketing is so similar to motion picture marketing. Actually, i'm not starting to hate it, I have hated it with a passion since the beginning of the PS3/360 era.

Everyday at work I hear someone say "dude saints row looks sick" and i'm like how in the hell can you even tell it looks "sick" when there was zero game play footage in that 3 minute video?

I will be excited for the new fatal fury when I see actual game play. If they spend half as much time developing the mechanics of the game, as they did with the exaggerated, dramatic, over-the-top character poses, then it might shape up to be a good game.

Or was that slot machine the actual game play? Please don't tell me the slot machine is the real game...