What's this about a black kid being shot again

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cop couldn't handle his business. He shot an unarmed man. Even if he isn't guilty of a crime, he should lose his job.

Or Woodstock 99. I was there. Selling the $3 bottles of water that had a lot to do with the rioting.

A black cop shot a black unarmed youth?
Link?

People do not need to be armed to be shot. This sounds right when you say it out loud, but there are endless scenario's where this is incorrect. If I have a gun, and a large man is charging me, I am going to shoot.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
People do not need to be armed to be shot. This sounds right when you say it out loud, but there are endless scenario's where this is incorrect. If I have a gun, and a large man is charging me, I am going to shoot.

Are you a cop or a science nerd?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

Yeah, just forget about the taser or using hand to hand combat training...

Cops are supposed to be professional and uphold the law, not trigger happy amateurs (and pussies) who throw their training out the window.

Shooting an unarmed person without thinking of other non-lethal options? This is true 'Murrican mentality.

The cops could have ended this with a well-deserved ass-beating or tasing, if the kid was in berserker mode. Instead they shot him 6 fucking times.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

Cops are supposed to be professional and uphold the law, not trigger happy amateurs (and pussies) who throw their training out the window.

Shooting an unarmed person without thinking of other non-lethal options? This is true 'Murrican mentality.

The cops could have ended this with a well-deserved ass-beating or tasing, if the kid was in berserker mode. Instead they shot him 6 fucking times.

Gun Drawn, and a man charges you, you shoot. You don't stop, unVelcro your Taser, and then tell them to stop again. This isn't an FPS where you simply toggle weapons.
That's how you get pistol whipped with your own gun.

You have 2-4 seconds to react. Sure, throw down your gun and get into fisticuffs?!? Goooo UFC MMA because only real men fight....
""This is true 'Murrican mentality.""

The idiot should never have challenged a cop with a gun.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Nothing to do with being a "real man" and machismo bullshit. You have to be sort of naïve to believe that the Cop took the only available course of action, with all that Police training.

It's about the Cop being a fucking professional and trying to avoid loss of life when trained not to be a mindless, cowardly asshole with a gun.

It's about the Police having respect for human life, even a lowly black life (sarcasm).

It's a fucking shame that 'Murrica has this "shoot first" ask questions later mentality.

No wonder so many other developed countries think of us as stupid, racist, ultra-violent, uneducated hillbillies.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Gun Drawn, and a man charges you, you shoot. You don't stop, unVelcro your Taser, and then tell them to stop again. This isn't an FPS where you simply toggle weapons.
That's how you get pistol whipped with your own gun.

You have 2-4 seconds to react. Sure, throw down your gun and get into fisticuffs?!? Goooo UFC MMA because only real men fight....

The idiot should never have challenged a cop with a gun.

I know next to nothing about guns so apologies if this is dumb, but in this situation wouldn't it be preferable to shoot to stop someone coming at you, rather than to kill him. Like in the leg or something.

Am I making this stuff up off films I've seen or can this happen?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I know next to nothing about guns so apologies if this is dumb, but in this situation wouldn't it be preferable to shoot to stop someone coming at you, rather than to kill him. Like in the leg or something.

Funny you mention this. He was shot in the arm 3 times and didn't stop. Then two more in the head put him down.

or

You can tune into Fox News where they tell you his was shot in the back with his hands up. Choose whatever fits your argument better.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Shot three times in the arm, cops still couldn't subdue him after he was gimped?

Twice in the head, twice.

There was gunshot residue on his clothes, btw. Police haven't let anybody examine what articles of clothing had the residue.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

No.

No.

No.

NEVER shoot to hurt, you shoot to kill.

In the eyes of the law, lethal force is just that...LETHAL. You never shoot to hurt. A police drawing and using a firearm denotes the need for lethal force. If not, "less than lethal" force must be used.

As for tazing/beating the guy...let me ask you this: How differently would the Rodney King event been taken had a cop just shot him in the head vs a bunch of them kicking the shit out of him? I'm guessing FAR better had they just shot his ass. Sure, there would have been protesting, but a video of them beating him into a pile of mush is what eventually led to the riots happening in the first place.

This isn't a videogame where you get slow-mo time to pick and choose your targeting. Big moving man, couple seconds to get it done. You shoot center mass.

Also, people need to stop gobbling up whatever the media decides to say. Wait for the facts, media is complicit in making this worse and getting people more worked up.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Also, people need to stop gobbling up whatever the media decides to say. Wait for the facts, media is complicit in making this worse and getting people more worked up.

Quite True. I'm out.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think this case will likely hinge on whether or not Brown did in fact charge the officer after attempting to grab his weapon. If he did make a 2nd attempt for the officer's weapon and charge him from a close distance, then well, then he's not leaving the guy too many options. If he was shot from some distance away, well then I'd say the officer is likely culpable to some extent.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

You always shoot center mass (chest cavity) - shooting specific parts of the body is mostly the stuff of hollywood.

The intent when shooting another person is to stop them from being able to attack you. Once they are no longer a threat you stop shooting.

I think this case will likely hinge on whether or not Brown did in fact charge the officer after attempting to grab his weapon. If he did make a 2nd attempt for the officer's weapon and charge him from a close distance, then well, then he's not leaving the guy too many options. If he was shot from some distance away, well then I'd say the officer is likely culpable to some extent.

Spot on analysis.

Unarmed means nothing.

A blow to the head with fists is considered a use of deadly force. People seem to forget that.

The standard for justifiable homicide is pretty clear: if you reasonably believed death or grievous bodily harm was about to be perpetrated upon you then you can use deadly force to stop the threat.

If the kid tried to take the officers gun then it's probably a good shoot. Hell, I'd argue simply attacking someone you KNOW has a gun on them could justify deadly force. You're in serious shit if someone takes your gun.

Martials Arts are the things of Dojos and movies. An officer isn't going to engage in "hand to hand" combat against a suspect. That's asinine. If he goes down and loses his weapon then he is in a world of pain. Fighting someone is fucking dangerous, even if you've got two or three other guys. They aren't going to brawl a suspect like Batman.

Taser's arent an instant submission tool. You aren't going to stop someone who is crazy aggressive. . They aren't a wonder-tool hollywood makes them out to be. As a citizen any time I'd need to tase someone, realistically I'd be better off (and most likely justified) in shooting them.

They're supposed to serve and protect...and I agree about not being trigger happy but I think you have a distorted view of Police Training.

I can't agree with your fixation on the suspect being unarmed. Unarmed does not equal no threat.

Do you know how many cops were there when the kid got shot?

I truly don't know.

Also please don't think I'm justifying what the kid or the cop did. Clearly the whole thing needs to be investigated so we can actually know whether he was in the right or wrong.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
You always shoot center mass (chest cavity) - shooting specific parts of the body is mostly the stuff of hollywood.

The intent when shooting another person is to stop them from being able to attack you. Once they are no longer a threat you stop shooting.

Correct.

One of the main rules when you take an NRA safety course, "Never point a firearm at anything unless you intend to destroy it."

Destroy may sound harsh, but that's the gravity of the situation you are doing by taking a firearm and pointing it.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It was amazing reading through the passive racist post here that try to validate the racial profiling of predominately minorities, perspectives of which are coming from people who have no fucking ideal what it feels like to go through life on the receiving end of such hatred.

Ever been out and about just minding your business and suddenly have cops confront you because you fit a profile. Here's just one of my many harassment stories. One day I was at a burger joint waiting for my order to come up playing some metal slug on a big red to pass the time. While playing I noticed out the window some pigs pull up.

They entered the place and just approached me and begin to tell me that it was reported someone matching my description had caused some problems in the neighboring Taco Bell. Do you know how it feels to just randomly out of no where be accused of something you did not do based on the color of your skin, these two pigs had nothing else but that to go on while looking for their so called culprit.

My first thought of the allegation was to respond with insults and profanity but luckily I opted to keep my composure and to rationally handle the situation as opposed to giving the pigs a reason to escalate things with violence. The whole time I never looked the pigs in the eyes and I just kept playing slug to show them they weren't intimidating me in the least.

I responded to their claim by bringing up the fact that if in fact I was the one they were looking for I should be on the security surveillance. They thought this over for a second and responded by saying stay out of Taco Bell than took their racist sorry asses on. My crime was fitting a profile and according to a certain Moderator here that I once had a conversation with by his logic if you don't want to be randomly harassed than you shouldn't fit a profile which in this case was basically being a minority.

Michael Brown was a bully and thief but to say that the punishment far outweigh the crime is a understatement.

And while blacks are currently and rightfully outraged at being potential targets for summary execution by cops and society at large the community is told "Time to listen, not just shout".

The situation in Ferguson is just the most televised incident of cops killing unarmed minorities. There has been 4 incidents this month alone of cops executing Blacks racist Judge Dredd style.

4 Unarmed Black Men Have Been Killed By Police in the Last Month
From New York City and LA to Ohio and Ferguson, MO, they all died under disputed circumstances.

—By Josh Harkinson
| Wed Aug. 13, 2014 9:50 PM EDT

Email

Police confront protestors in Ferguson AP

Ferguson, Missouri, has been consumed with protests since Michael Brown, an unarmed African-American teenager, was shot to death by police on Saturday. Brown was not the only African-American man killed by police in recent weeks under disputed circumstances. Consider these three other recent incidents:

Eric Garner, Staten Island, New York / July 17: Eric Garner, a 43-year-old asthmatic father of six, was confronted by New York City police officers for allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes. When he resisted being cuffed, an officer appeared to put him in a chokehold—a tactic banned by the department since 1993. A video of the arrest, first obtained by the New York Daily News, shows Garner gasping,"I can't breathe!" while officers relentlessly smother him:

More MoJo coverage of the Michael Brown police shooting

Ferguson Is 60 Percent Black. Virtually All Its Cops Are White.
"Hands Up, Don't Shoot:" Peaceful Protests Across the Country Last Night
Exactly How Often Do Police Shoot Unarmed Black Men?
A Few Horrifying Pictures From Ferguson Last Night
Anonymous Posts St. Louis Police Dispatch Tapes From Day of Ferguson Shooting
Incredibly Powerful Photo of Black Students at Howard University
The Ferguson Shooting and the Science of Race and Guns

The city medical examiner later ruled Garner's death a homicide, saying neck compression from the chokehold killed him. But the officers involved in the arrest may not face charges if the homicide is found to be justifiable. Staten Island district attorney Daniel Donovan is investigating the case.

John Crawford, Beavercreek, Ohio / August 5: Two police officers responded to a 911 call about a man waving a gun at customers inside a Walmart store. According the Beavercreek police department, 22-year-old John Crawford disregarded officers' orders to disarm before being fatally shot in the chest. Crawford's gun turned out to be a .177 calibre BB rifle that he'd picked up from a store shelf. Walmart surveillance camera footage was turned over to the police but hasn't been released to the public or Crawford's family. "Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying a BB gun in a store that sells BB guns?" asked Michael Wright, the family's attorney, during a joint press conference with the NAACP. "All the family demands is answers." The Ohio Attorney General's Office is investigating the case.
John Crawford

Ezell Ford, Los Angeles, California / August 11: When police conducted an "investigative stop" of 25-year-old Ezell Ford on a Los Angeles sidewalk, he "wheeled around and basically tackled the lead officer," then went after his weapon, an LAPD spokesperson told the LA Times. But in an interview with KTLA News, a woman who identified herself as Ford's mother said he was lying on the ground, complying with the officers' orders, when he was shot in the back. On Sunday afternoon, a handful of people protested the shooting outside LAPD's headquarters. The LA County District Attorney and the department's Force Investigation Unit are looking into the shooting.

So how often are unarmed African-American men getting shot by the police? The short answer is that nobody really knows, but it's clear that blacks are often disproportionately targeted by law enforcement. In Missouri, for example, African Americans were 66 percent more likely than whites to be stopped by police in 2013, according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch. A similar disparity exists in many other states and cities.

UPDATE (8/14/14): Another case has come to light in California:

Dante Parker, Victorville, California / August 12: A Victorville resident told police that a robbery suspect had fled on a bicycle. The police detained Dante Parker, a 36-year-old pressman at the Daily Press newspaper, apparently because they found him nearby on a bike. Though Parker had no criminal record (other than a DUI), a scuffle ensued and Parker was tased repeatedly when he resisted arrest, according to witnesses. He began breathing heavily and was taken to a hospital, where he died. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is conducting an investigation

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There is no doubt the police profile and young black men and other minorities are disproportionately stopped by the police. NYC's stop and frisk? The actual DATA* on who they were stopping was outrageous.

*an anecdote isn't data mainman :keke:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

This should be quoted again.

If anything good comes from this maybe we will get a real reexamination of policing in America. Add that to some reform on the asinine War on Drugs and we'd be golden.

Crom knows we've got a decent little police state.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Hell, I'd argue simply attacking someone you KNOW has a gun on them could justify deadly force. You're in serious shit if someone takes your gun.

By that logic, anybody who has a gun (even if they were the initial aggressor) has the right to shoot anybody who attempts to defend themselves. What if said gun-toting aggressor makes an unarmed person genuinely fear for their life?

That's a fucked up way to look at things. Especially in the case of Police officers, who already have the legal system on their side, should they be prosecuted.

As for your other objections, I know that Officers receive hand to hand combat training. If they aren't supposed to use it, why train them in that skill? I've seen many videos of Police officers subdue a person via hand to hand techniques and/or tasing.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
By that logic, anybody who has a gun (whether they were the initial aggressor) has the right to shoot anybody who attempts to defend themselves.

Oh come on now, do you think that's what I meant? I'm talking about a justifiable use of deadly force. If someone attacks and they're gonna beat your ass and you have a gun you can shoot back. "Fighting" isn't a game or something kids do. If someone is punching you or kicking you then you're gonna get hurt, possibly badly - maybe paralyzed or even killed. Google "one punch kill" or "one punch paralysis" for some good times, anecdotal evidence of course.

That's a fucked up way to look at things. Especially in the case of Police officers, who already have the legal system on their side, should they be prosecuted.

Officers probably should be prosecuted when their shoots aren't good. They should also be prosecuted when they engage in other unlawful activities, particularly illegal arrests when they should have reasonably known what they were doing was illegal.

As for your other objections, I know that Officers receive hand to hand combat training. If they aren't supposed to use it, why train them in that skill?

How many cops use their guns in their entire career. Do you think they have to requalify in hand to hand? I dunno man. Their training isn't exactly up to par.

Again I don't know the specifics of the actual scenario in question. I'd assume hand to hand is a dangerous technique when your evenly matched. I'd employ other options.

I've seen many videos of Police officers subdue a person via hand to hand techniques and/or tasing.

Sure, depends on the person being subdued, the skill of the cop, and the situation.

We need more facts.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
St Louis. Need some Nelly pic with bandaid on cheek

Straight-outta-compton-nwa-movie.jpg

By that logic, anybody who has a gun (even if they were the initial aggressor) has the right to shoot anybody who attempts to defend themselves. What if said gun-toting aggressor makes an unarmed person genuinely fear for their life?.

As a rule of thumb, I'm not attacking someone with a gun unless I'm planning to get shot. If some armed person is making me fear for my life, then I'm making myself as non-threatening as possible. To think you'd engage in a little hand to hand combat to settle things is just Hollywood.