3DS 'downlaodable' version, what a rip!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
So I happened to be in 'a well known games store' looking through the 3DS new releases and wondering how any console could have so few games in the pipeline.....
When I noticed that they charge the same price for downloadable versions of new ninty titles as they do for the 'physical' game with cart, case and manual!

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Cheeky, money grabbing bastards.

Simple, don't buy a download unless it's discounted appropriately.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Cheeky, money grabbing bastards.

Simple, don't buy a download unless it's discounted appropriately.

Agreed. I still pay more for physical copies on everything. I feel like any of us born back in the NES/SNES/Genesis days insist on physical items. Kids born ten years ago will push the entire industry into DL only games. Once games stop being "objects", ill be much less likely to buy them

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
clever move by the developers. No resale market!
Feels like a confidence trick to me.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The real thing going on here is more than what you are spending, moreso what you can walk away with. Which is nothing. What happens when you decide to sell your console loaded with games attached to your account? You won't give your account to the next owner would you? I think most are missing the real reason for Digital Downloads. YOU CAN NO LONGER SELL YOUR GAMES. You buy it, it's yours. Don't like it? Tough shit, you've given them money. I wish people would wake up to this.
Gamestop THRIVES on used sales, why do you think they push preorders? They don't make money on new stock that doesn't sell, but a used game? At least a 100% markup from what they paid. It's everybody trying to get some nowadays, what happens when everything is digital download? Gamestop will sell used electronics, they do now and it will thrive juicing people for Ipads only dollars cheaper than a new one. That's why a used game is only 3 dollars cheaper than new. You're getting fleeced no matter what.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Agreed. I still pay more for physical copies on everything. I feel like any of us born back in the NES/SNES/Genesis days insist on physical items. Kids born ten years ago will push the entire industry into DL only games. Once games stop being "objects", ill be much less likely to buy them

I've always preferred to buy physical unless something is download only like the latest phoenix wright. If I'm paying the same price for something, might as well get something physical instead of just a license to play it until they remove it from the servers (MvC2)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
522498210_b2a45eb896.jpg

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'm getting to old to care much anymore for the physical clutter of new games. I'm perfectly fine with getting primarily digital downloads now and the disc based games I get just go into a cd binder. Aside from the older stuff like 16-bit era and prior which I may sell one day I have zero intention of moving any of my newer games.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm 37 and live two hours away from where I could buy a game, so I end up being part of the problem now.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I'm 37 and live two hours away from where I could buy a game, so I end up being part of the problem now.

amazon does not get along with your 56k connection?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Despite you are allowed to "migrate" your profile to a new 3DS, I agree this is not a great deal for the user, loosing the reselling opportunity.

However, buying a JPN console allows you to download latest JPN releases also from a western country, without have to wait weeks... that's kinda nice, if you are in that kind of mood.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The real thing going on here is more than what you are spending, moreso what you can walk away with. Which is nothing. What happens when you decide to sell your console loaded with games attached to your account? You won't give your account to the next owner would you? I think most are missing the real reason for Digital Downloads. YOU CAN NO LONGER SELL YOUR GAMES. You buy it, it's yours. Don't like it? Tough shit, you've given them money. I wish people would wake up to this.

It's not that they aren't awake to it, too many people either don't care (because I just want it now) or are complicit and just accept being screwed.

I'll go out of my way to buy physical releases (buying across regions, buying from publisher stores, etc) because as you said, it's the only way to actually have something for your money.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
It's not so bad. How much time do you waste selling a game? How much money do you make per hour? Does that make up the difference?

With the time you save yourself not selling games you can spend online reading the forums; waiting for a thread like this to pop up, and share this calculation with others.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I'm not necsessarily against digital downloads. I'm happy that it we end up seeing some games at all, like senran kagura. However, I'm not ok with full retail price for both physical and downloadable media. The DL has to have some kind of discount on it, for me to even consider.

Phyeir

<========= Bought a EU 3DS for physical release of Senran Kagura Burst in English

Yes, I realize how asinine this is. That serious about having physical release titles.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I like digital... fuck carrying around a bunch of 3ds games...

And if you ever sell your 3ds the person who buys it can re-download all your games even if they factory default and make a new profile/

Phyeir

That only last as long as that system's market exist, tho.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Once people start buying the dl version at full retail, the next logical step is obviously to phase out all physical copies.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I guess it's worse in the UK as we are so royally overcharged for the games in the first place.
The large dedicated games store near me charges up to £35 for a 3DS title.
The supermarkets are a bit cheaper and don't tend to offer the download cards, but they don't have much of a range.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I like digital... fuck carrying around a bunch of 3ds games...

I'm slowly warming up to this idea. I bought the Link Between Worlds 3DSXL to replace my red one, and I was expecting a physical version, since the original bundle I bought was also physical. I was kind of upset at it being digital. But having it at all times, completely effortlessly has been really nice and convenient. It's made me think about overall replay. Like, will I play this game enough to -want- to have it at all times, or is it something I will likely shelve for awhile after beating it before coming back. And since I never sell my games after buying them, any thoughts of resale are a total non-issue to me.

Of course, having already been building up quite a pile of digital games on my 3DS thanks to the eShop (for things like Shovel Knight, and Retro City Rampage), the Virtual Console and Sega's 3D arcade classics releases, the idea and practice of this kind of always on hand without needing to carry a slew of different game cards convenience has been steadily building. A Link Between Worlds is still the only retail 3DS game I own digitally, but It's been making me seriously reconsider future retail buys for the system.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
The amount of complacency in this thread makes me sad. When it has gotten to the point where you know you are getting taken advantage of and yet are not only ok with it, but are SMILING as the screws are given one more turn...you can keep your 'convenience', thanks.

Point and laugh and make old man & lawn jokes all you want.

It doesn't change the fact that with this digital only movement, You're Still Getting Suckered And You Like It.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
What really irks me is a lot of new games don't come with a manual anymore. It makes me feel like something is missing when I buy a new game :/

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really do like being all digital, especially in a handheld, but fuck paying full price. If a physical version is $40 then the digital should be $30 or so.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Physical and download versions being the same price is ridiculous. However, there must be a good number of people paying the price for the digital downloads. I think it's just a matter of time until download versions will be the only option.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Come on guys!
It's just not the same!
How can you post pictures of your 'virtual' collection?
How can you brag about your ultra rare cover variant, or compare the US cover art unfavorably with your import version?
How can you dust them off in 15 years and flog them on fleabay for a small fortune?
Digital is a rip!