Best non CRT televisions for classic gaming?

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
Isn't this question like asking who's the best dude to bang in prison? PVMs 4 life, yo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Not quite HD, still, not bad either...

What's worse, NONE of these TVs have VGA input for the dreamcast goodness.

There are actually two interesting alternatives to CRTs, coming straight from the dark ages of flatscreens:

1. PIONEER PDP-V402E.

This is a 40 inch monster, the biggest 4:3 plasma ever build. Used mainly for multimedia presentations of all sorts, like on game fairs... Anno Domini 2002 ;).

Specs are top noch for retro gaming, but here's a link from the shmups forum that'll explain everything:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43256

Big ups to Fudoh for another brilliant review for the retro gaming front. Dreamcast goodness galore ;).

Plus additional specs from the PIONEER page I found:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Plasma/PDP-V402

2. HITACHI CMP 307XE.

This ones a 37 inch plasma with similar specifications, which are listed here:

http://www.chip.de/preisvergleich/11687/Datenblatt-Hitachi-CMP-307-XE.html

Seems interesting, too, although even more hard to find than the PDP.

Well, you won't find any of these new anyway but so is the situation with almost any CRTs. Check on places like Craiglist or go through small ads, which are widly spread over the net.

All in all I have to join the popular opinion, that designing & producing the perfect non-CRT, zero lag, 4:3 retro flatscreen would be the perfect Kickstarter call and a possible goldmine for this potential Neo-Nipkow ;).

We'll see... until then: Long live CRTs!

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
An LCD/LED still won't match a professional CRT (like the PVM and BVM) for picture quality (color accuracy, black levels), even with the XRGB.

Incorrect, LED TV's with full LED arrays can best CRT in both color and black levels. Such TV"s however cost an arm and a leg and due to cost (people weren't willing to pay $800+ for 32-40 inches)/new energy requirements they are only available in larger TV's now. I had a 40 inch Sharp Aquos that had the full LED array (not that shitty ass edge lit crap lots of TV's use these days), it stomped the shit out of my PVM-20L5 and BVM-20F1U when it came to black levels and color. LED TV's have surpassed CRT and Plasma already when it comes to picture quality, you just have to be willing to dish out the money for it. For example, that 40 inch HDTV cost $1100 after tax when other 40 inch 120hz HDTV's at the time were going for $500-600. I think this TV was from 2011 or so as well.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
My older 42" LCD XBR4 1080p/120hz with proper settings for gaming still smokes most newer cheap garbage LCD/LED TVs out of the water and has very little to no input lag.

The biggest mistake ppl make is not learning the settings on their damn TVs or the lack of options on cheaper models. I've come across cheap ass Vizio's that don't even have a game off or options to manually turn off post processing even.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Incorrect, LED TV's with full LED arrays can best CRT in both color and black levels. Such TV"s however cost an arm and a leg and due to cost (people weren't willing to pay $800+ for 32-40 inches)/new energy requirements they are only available in larger TV's now. I had a 40 inch Sharp Aquos that had the full LED array (not that shitty ass edge lit crap lots of TV's use these days), it stomped the shit out of my PVM-20L5 and BVM-20F1U when it came to black levels and color. LED TV's have surpassed CRT and Plasma already when it comes to picture quality, you just have to be willing to dish out the money for it. For example, that 40 inch HDTV cost $1100 after tax when other 40 inch 120hz HDTV's at the time were going for $500-600. I think this TV was from 2011 or so as well.
In any case, OLED TVs have better colors than LED or plasma. Aren't the best "TVs" you can get these days the latest model OLED PVMs and BVMs? Those could be used a TV, with a digital tuner. Some of the big screen TVs (40" and larger) are impractical to use as anything but a living room TV.
The Neo and other systems were designed with CRT in mind as the display. So a HD TV might be good for it, but only if you emulate the CRT look exactly. And then you might as well have a CRT anyway.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

They still haven't surpassed CRTs excellent motion handling and multisync support that isn't upscaling.

120hz is horrible for games.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
They still haven't surpassed CRTs excellent motion handling and multisync support that isn't upscaling.

120hz is horrible for games.

My comment was directed at Joe's comment about color and black levels not being as good which just is not correct.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
In any case, OLED TVs have better colors than LED or plasma. Aren't the best "TVs" you can get these days the latest model OLED PVMs and BVMs? Those could be used a TV, with a digital tuner. Some of the big screen TVs (40" and larger) are impractical to use as anything but a living room TV.
The Neo and other systems were designed with CRT in mind as the display. So a HD TV might be good for it, but only if you emulate the CRT look exactly. And then you might as well have a CRT anyway.

"An LCD/LED still won't match a professional CRT (like the PVM and BVM) for picture quality (color accuracy, black levels), even with the XRGB."

Which has nothing to do with your original comment. You said LED TV's aren't as good when it comes to color and black level, this is just plain incorrect. The comment had nothing to do about which is better for old stuff. With the XRGB mini my sharp shat all over any CRT I have ever had (and I have had LOTS of CRT's, commercial and consumer) when it came to color accuracy and black level. CRT's are better than LCD's for old shit but its not because of color accuracy or black levels any more.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

You're out of your element here. Please stop posting garbage.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You're out of your element here. Please stop posting garbage.
So do you have all three types of TV (OLED, LED, CRT)? Most people don't have all three types, so it's hard for them to comment. I suppose if you've seen all 3 types in a TV store, it could be different. But it's better if you own all three types, and you have all three types right next to each other for comparison.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
So do you have all three types of TV (OLED, LED, CRT)? Most people don't have all three types, so it's hard for them to comment. I suppose if you've seen all 3 types in a TV store, it could be different. But it's better if you own all three types, and you have all three types right next to each other for comparison.

So by owning all three types you consider yourself an expert?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you're having all this trouble, just get a small cheap CRT off kijiji. Flat screens will never do classic gaming good.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
What's the consensus on monitors in modern arcade machines? Most of us have probably seen the video of the RS rep demonstrating Mushihimesama in a New Delta 32 cab, but I wonder what the actual quality and response time of the monitors are.

Questions aside, I want one.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Yet you are leading ppl to believe you need all 3 to be an "expert" and compare then.
well, that guy was claiming I was "out of my element". But who does really know about the different TV technologies and how they compare to each other, unless you either work at store that sells TVs, or in broadcasting (where they use OLED monitors), or you have all the different types of TV (OLED, LED, plasma, CRT). It easier to compare different technologies, when you use them all the time. Not many people have an OLED TV, so I didn't think it was necessary to say that I didn't.

Last edited:

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Some production houses are getting rid of their Pioneer production Plasma displays; if you're in a major city, it's worth checking around on Craigslist. You may have to install input cards (I had to put track down an HDMI card for mine) but they're well worth it.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
well, that guy was claiming I was "out of my element". But who does really know about the different TV technologies and how they compare to each other, unless you either work at store that sells TVs, or in broadcasting (where they use OLED monitors), or you have all the different types of TV (OLED, LED, plasma, CRT). It easier to compare different technologies, when you use them all the time. Not many people have an OLED TV, so I didn't think it was necessary to say that I didn't.

Yup, just got brain cancer reading one of your posts. Thanks douche.

The point still stands, your original comments were incorrect (then you went off on some shit that was not even being discussed). Most the seasoned members you see posting and calling out your bullshit do so BECAUSE they have access to the equipment being discussed and or use it on a daily basis. Like they said, you are out of your element.

Unlike you we do not talk out of our ass making up some mythical electronic voodoo magic passed down from CRTJesus. Now excuse me while I go start my chemotherapy for the cancer your stupidity gave me.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Dude. Dude.

Twin Lead > All

Personally I find twin lead unreliable as there is a high chance of stabbing myself in the testicles with the screwdriver while cranking down the terminals on the back of the TV. All in all I just rather play board games, they are much better and far more reliable. They even taste better when I eat the small colorful pieces that come with them, far better tasting than my jizz encrusted NES and windows.

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
What would you say to one of these NEC Plasmas for example this one

I see these all the time used as "menus" at Dunkin Donuts and the like. I bet if you looked long enough they could be had on the cheap.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
What would you say to one of these NEC Plasmas for example this one

I see these all the time used as "menus" at Dunkin Donuts and the like. I bet if you looked long enough they could be had on the cheap.

We have one at work and I only managed to hook up a Famicom to it through component. It looked way better than a normal HDTV without using something like an XRGB. It was not CRT or XRGB good but it was not bad. I think most of them take RGBS via BNC but they moved ours into the training department and wall hung it so I cant try straight RGB on it. These usually pop up for $100 or so locally from time to time. Personally I think they look good with HD material and if one ever pops up again I do plan to nab it.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i once had a late 90's model 32in. TOSHIBA since it was new, and i thought it the cat's total ass... until i replaced it with my current 46in. LCD,
a WORST BUY "INSIGNIA" house brand with 3D analog video processing, one of last they marketed with such processing on board, i believe.

granted, the occasional CRT trickery effect is quite broken, but for my part, that is an acceptable trade-off for the utter unvarnished crystalline truth
in which this LCD of mine seems to display each and every one of my SD sources;

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-141_zpseda2dd5c.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-142_zps57537c28.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-143_zps9804aec8.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-144_zps93d4b089.jpg

Last edited: