Blazblue... good series?

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm having a hard time getting into these games? The characters are great, but the system is strange. Thoughts?

spoonz

Quiz Detective
Blazblue is a good series, the learning curve however is kinda high. You should play through the tutorials in the game to get up to speed with what your character(s) can do and consider checking out Dustloop for discussion and guides for characters as well.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Spoonz is dead on. Go through the tutorials, then hit Dustloop for bread and butter combos (BnBs), max punishes and character-specific strats. If you're looking for a game to just screw around in, Blazblue's probably not the best choice.

If you want to see BB had its absolute best, check out the Evo 2014 grand finals. Incredible set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvY6BbiUE0

Spoonz is dead on. Go through the tutorials, then hit Dustloop for bread and butter combos (BnBs), max punishes and character-specific strats. If you're looking for a game to just screw around in, Blazblue's probably not the best choice.

If you want to see BB had its absolute best, check out the Evo 2014 grand finals. Incredible set.

Second this, and it was an amazing top 8! Very glad I got on up that morning and went down to the ballroom.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Blazblue and just about all the fighters made by Arc system works are known for being deceptively simple at first glance but ridiculously deep once you learn about all the systems in the game, they get surprisingly technical and as such can be hard to get into, but as everyone else is saying, if you can wrap your head around it they're really great games

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Blazblue and just about all the fighters made by Arc system works are known for being deceptively simple at first glance but ridiculously deep once you learn about all the systems in the game, they get surprisingly technical and as such can be hard to get into, but as everyone else is saying, if you can wrap your head around it they're really great games

This is very true. I saw so many posts when the first BlazBlue came out where there was the Jin/Ice-car meme. However if you actually played the game competitively there was more to it than ice car spamming. Rachel was a deadly character when in the proper hands...I feel the series has gotten much better since the first iteration.

spoonz

Quiz Detective

Hands down the best finals of the day, lots of emotion and great moments.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member

343de795dddb951ab89d8e9849457e6b0fa990b932c164f64dd4cec827d87f34.jpg

Seriously though, i have tried and tried and tried to like this game.
but i just can't.
especially odd to me since i love guilty gear and persona arena.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I think Blazblue is a good serie but very different from Guity Gear and others Arc System games.

Combos are harder to do in Blazblue, often you have to push the button exactly at the right moment (at the good frame).
In Guilty Gear there is what is called Gatling combos where you have more frames to push the button. No specific timing to do, a combo like Punch, Slash and Hard Slash in GG.
The only thing which required a very specific timing at the frame in GG are the cancels (called FRC).

The complete gaming system is more complex in GG but it will be more difficult to perform big combos in Blazblue.
These 2 games are very different so I understand why bartre love GG and not BB.

In BB you learn a big combo (which will change a little dependind of where you begin the combo on the screen: middle of the area or on the wall, these kind of things) and you will try to place it many times.
So you often do the same combos during the match.

GG was more based on Okizeme, which is the mind game after you put your opponent on the floor (when he's waking up).
So it was less pure combos.
In BB this doesn't exist because they put in the game a rolling system that allow you to roll forward or backword when you are on the ground.
GG and BB are really different.

I play a lot to BB with my friends and I for me this is a great game, it take a lot of time to play well and learning combos but when you did it this game is really fun to play.
Lots of good characters very different, graphics and music are great as usual with Arc Sys.
And like in all Arc System games if you want to play really well you will only play with one or two characters. You can't play randomly with all characters like in Street Fighter 4.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No matter how much I try i can't like this series. It looks good but i hate the fighting system. It's just not any fun for me. it feels broken and purposely over complicated. I keep wanting it to be Guilty Gear but it never will be.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
No matter how much I try i can't like this series. It looks good but i hate the fighting system. It's just not any fun for me. it feels broken and purposely over complicated. I keep wanting it to be Guilty Gear but it never will be.

I felt the same way on the early part of the series. It was like they were trying to be so different that they made each character not quite fit the archetypes you're used to and in doing so, just made the serieshard to get into. Except for Ragna and Jin, who were more straight forward and overpowered.

Since they've added so many characters and refined the series, the game is more approachable, but still far more nuanced than many may like. Litchi was unplayable for me at first, but now I can play her and see how she was putting out the punishment she was at Evo 2014. I don't even get that deep into these games, but do play them enough to appreciate what's there.

And I agree on the Guilty Gear comment as well. Glad that series is finally making a return. Now where's my Jam?!?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Seriously though, i have tried and tried and tried to like this game.
but i just can't.
especially odd to me since i love guilty gear and persona arena.

Not as uncommon as you might think. I know a bunch of hardcore Guilty Gear heads who hate BB. It's just different enough from GG mechanically that those small things annoy the shit out of them. Some folks just dismiss it as GG-lite but I think it's a matter of feel more than anything else. I'm the opposite personally. I always found the GG games unforgiving and needlessly obtuse.

Not sure if anyone here has tried Under Night In-Birth yet but it really strips away a lot of the needless complexity of anime games. Enjoying it greatly thus far.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Depends on what you're looking for.

I can see why people hate the game...it's a little mash friendly. But in a post SF4 fighting game world-- I'll take what I can get. It's the most "hardcore" game to come out in a while in the genre. Huge combos and big damage for punishes.

Fighters have changed drastically to be more casual with their sudden surge in popularity. It doesn't help that developers are shaping these games after what they are reading from sub-par players crying on forums. I think Aksys does this far less than Capcom, so I respect them for it.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
Not as uncommon as you might think. I know a bunch of hardcore Guilty Gear heads who hate BB. It's just different enough from GG mechanically that those small things annoy the shit out of them. Some folks just dismiss it as GG-lite but I think it's a matter of feel more than anything else. I'm the opposite personally. I always found the GG games unforgiving and needlessly obtuse.

Not sure if anyone here has tried Under Night In-Birth yet but it really strips away a lot of the needless complexity of anime games. Enjoying it greatly thus far.

In my area the main complaint is the combos. In Guilty Gear games past you could pretty much chain anything into simple combos and while it exists in BB as well it was more like a set path for combos rather than chains for some characters that apparently turned some people off. I actually found GG series to be a little more forgiving than BB but that's just my opinion.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Sure BB and GG are very different games and that's a good thing.
There's no interest to do a copy of GG.

I agree that GG is better than BB but honestly that's possible to have fun with the 2 games but like all Arc Sys games it takes some time to really enjoy it.

To spoonz: I agree with you that's what I was talking about earlier, gatling combos (chain combos) of GG are much more easy to perform in BB big combos are hard to do due to the perfect timing "at the frame" .
A lot of people stop BB because of this.
Compare to GG, the whole system is easier to learn in BB and more classical but combos are more difficult to perform I think

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Arc System Games are different for sure. I happen to like them all but my all time favorite of their games is the original Guilty Gear for PSX, that was raw and heavy, it had that personality that fighters had back in the good old days. Nowdays fighting games are so different, not saying better or worse, just different, this is my favorite genre in video games mind you.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
What you say remember me my own experience with GG.
I discover GG on PSX like you and I really enjoy it, it was different from others fighting games but not too complicated.
Then I stop GG after this episode and only play to this license again many years after with "GGXX Slash" episode.

A friend was playing GG since a long time and he always tell me "C'mon let's play GG this is the best fighting game ever!!".
The problem is when he plays all I only see explosions, flash, many kind lights everywhere on the screen, air double dash, double jump.. I was kind of "WTF is this game???" so I keep playing KOF :lolz:

Finally I begin to play GG seriously with him and I realised that the gaming system wasn't so difficult and also realise that GG is certainly the best fighting game ever created.

We past hours and hours on GGXX Accent Core on PS2. Best matches and tournaments we ever made (I'm playing Potemkin).
And during a long time when I play to a more classical game like KOF of Street Fighter (which I also love) I feel like something was missing.
That's the problem with you play a lot to GG, the other games often looks empty and with only few possibilities.

Now I have less time to play so classical games are pretty cool, no need to play a lot to enjoy it.

GG definitively the best fighting games ever for me.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I don´t like the series. I don´t like the grafix and I don´t like the character settings. The gameplay is bustling and with less tactical improvement. Well at least I think so...

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I know a lot of persons who don't like GG and BB, it takes me a lot of time to really try it and enjoy it.