Dimahoo tips

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Been playing this lately, and getting my ass handed to me. Any advice? Has anyone 1 cc'd this?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, set the difficulty at 1. :lolz:

Only know a couple guys that 1CC 'd this game game. One guy used Gremlin and the other Bang.

Moto is supposed to be the best, but he's way too fast for me. I like Karte. Good balance. But lack of overwhelming firepower power and a good solid piercing shot makes things tough for her late in the game when the Big Guys come out and play.

Learn how to use the magic meter to get treasure. This game is a hella fun score board.

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah, set the difficulty at 1. :lolz:

Only know a couple guys that 1CC 'd this game game. One guy used Gremlin and the other Bang.

Moto is supposed to be the best, but he's way too fast for me. I like Karte. Good balance. But lack of overwhelming firepower power and a good solid piercing shot makes things tough for her late in the game when the Big Guys come out and play.

Learn how to use the magic meter to get treasure. This game is a hella fun score board.

I was trying to figure out the scoring mechanic. So many items fly at you its crazy. It is a great game though. Love how different each character plays

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The scoring mechanic is based upon the sets of items you complete.

http://www.world-of-arcades.net/R8zing/Dimahoo/items.htm

Picking up an item is worth points. But, once you complete a set, then a scoring multiplier kicks in, for that set. So, the first set of items is worth item x1, the second set of times is worth item x2, then item x3, and so on and so on...

And since special items are a set, this also holds true for the special items as well. :)

---

One of the challenging parts of this game is to complete a set of items as fast as possible, to get the scoring multipliers to start kicking in. And in order to do that, you have to remember which enemies dorp which items, which items you picked up so far, and which items you need to pick up to complete a set. I know it sounds easy, but it's so not when you're dodging a ton stuff coming at you on the screen.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=25690

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Paging Chempop, the dude gave me a college level education in this game.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
As far as I can tell, rank seems to be tied to the number of items you collect.

So, there seems to be two main strategies to this game:

1. Avoid items like the plague (to keep rank down) and go for the 1CC. Or,

2. Grab items like gold and play for score.

So since most shmupers play for score.... Just have fun storming the castle and get rich quick. :vik: / :p

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
As Tyranix pointed out, playing for score and survival is going to be a completely different experience. My advice is to try BOTH methods, this will give you a better sense of how rank works.

For scoring it’s a ton of memorization and planning a route. One key thing to remember is: timing the enemy destruction while your magic is deployed and the gauge is depleting will allow you to get multiple value items from different enemies in a single magic attack - as long as your magic is deployed, killing things with regular shot will trigger item drops.

Here is a beginner strategy, easiest to execute with Karte and Solobang.
Stage1
1) start with a lvl2 magic, collect the lvl2 and lvl1 shoes and food
2) then charge to lvl8, collect the lvl8 and lvl7 shoes and food, and a whole bunch of accessories
3) then go for the next highest lvl6, then lvl5, etc finishing off SHOES and FOOD by stage 1 boss.

Once you are good at this (it will take A LOT of practice), now try to get as many amulets and axes, you’ll eventually be close to finishing those sets by stage1 boss too! Once you are really really good at that, now try to get as many shields from the big tanks and dragons as possible... eventually you’ll do all that and get the 3 secret items in stage 1: Pinwheel, Fairy, Gem.

Now try SURVIVAL low-rank play. Use Solobang, collect 1 magic and basically NOTHING ELSE, NO powerups, NO items, NO excess magic, but bomb fragments are okay. Proceed to obliterating the Stage1 boss in a matter of seconds! As you can see, rank varies greatly. The biggest influence on rank is your Magic and Shot power, and collecting full sets and having a multiplier. It’s almost a completely different game.

The biggest challenge to the mechanics are keeping track of that tiny number in the corner that shows what level your magic is at. If I could say what Dimahoo’s biggest flaw is, it’s that they didn’t make that number larger and more visible. It’s the most important thing in the game so you better learn to just know what level it’s at, listen to the sound as it charges. Pay close attention to the item list in between stages so you can quickly try to memorize which items you are missing from the next set you are after.

Happy to try and answer any specific questions.

Also, I made this a while back:
8256635904_346ddbbdc2_c.jpg
link to hires: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8256635904_c27c4b1e9a_o.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The one thing that the developers could have done better in this game is the Item Sub-Menu.

In the game, you can access a Item Sub-Menu and see what Treasure you have collected. To open: Hold down START for 3 seconds, then hit "A." Next, the list will pop up in the upper left hand corner. Hit START to cycle through it. To close: Hit START and "A."

IMHO, having an item sub menu is cool, but having a huge text list cover the field of play is not cool. It's a huge distraction during the game.

Would have loved to see Capcom simplify the sublist menu access command to just the "Start Button," and either replace the text list on the side with a small icon list, or put the small icon list at the bottom of the screen like D&D.

1397193166418.png

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
This game is crazy hard. I had no idea about that item sub menu, not very practical look at mid game.

I was playing this game totally wrong... I would do my best to hit things with Max level magic all the time, which nearly always results in death.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
This game is crazy hard. I had no idea about that item sub menu, not very practical look at mid game.

I was playing this game totally wrong... I would do my best to hit things with Max level magic all the time, which nearly always results in death.

Yeah, no joke. And the Battle Garegga devs thought they made an easy one.

Sometimes I wonder if they're referring to the Elemental System or 2 Player mode. :scratch: / :lolz:

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
its really a big fun game and a really love all the boss enemies in this great game. But still it´s hard to achieve a good score. I prefer also Karte for playing

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug

This. Now I am tempted to switch out batrider and replay this game knowing about rank and item sets.