Great pick up and play games?

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For a lot of us as we get older, there's less and less time in the day to play. So I find myself playing games in really short bursts, like 10-20 min at a time.

A great feature of the 3DS and the Vita is the standby/sleep mode so you can always jump right back into a game from where you left off and do a stage or two, a battle or whatever and simply stop and continue your day.

Lately, I've found games like DKC on 3DS, luigi's mansion, TxK, hotline Miami, or classics like the gba wario ware inc., super punch out are great for short runs to get a quick fix!

Obviously a little more time is ideal, but you gotta work with the time you got!

I play on consoles and handhelds, but any of you guys play this way with whatever platform you have at your disposal?

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
For me atm the fastest pick up and play are Metal Slug 1st Mission and Match of the Millenium on the NGPC - you need about 15 mins for a full playthrough (or in my case: turn off the power and curse evil ryu) on MOTM.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I found the newer Mario games to be great for pick up and play. The Wii gamea are sectioned off like SM64 and the 3DS titles are definitely developed with your tastes in mind

I'd you want a narrative that allows saving at any time, then Zero Escape:Virtue's Last Reward is a great candidate. Amazing story and some creative puzzles also

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually do have that game as well, just haven't dug into it yet! Might be next on my hitlist.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
While I own the consoles involved w/ it, I've found that I am playing a hell of a lot on the Retron 5 lately because of this. Getting involved in a game for 20mins and then being interrupted isn't a prob w/ it's save states. It's not for everybody; especially the enthusiast; but it makes things a lot more convenient.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Any classic Mega Man! Also good beat em' ups....ie..Final Fight, Streets Of Rage, Sengoku 3 etc...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Metal Slug 1/2/X
Neo Cup 98/SS3
Marvel v Capcom
Sunset RIders
Alien v Predator
Neo Drift Out
Shocktroopers
Any Mario Kart
Espgaluda
Ikaruga
Elite Beat Agents any version (if you want to destroy your DS)
Castle Crashers
Dragons Crown

Tons more, would probably be easier to consider one console only.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
ya youre probably right, its a pretty general question...kinda like the fav game of all time thread but not as hard to decide on lol the other part was if people actually do play like this though, its like a power nap.....but gaming instead :D

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
i still play tetris on my ps3, thats one game that never gets old.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I like playing a few quick rounds of classic fighters such as any of the King of Fighters, Shodowns or Street Fighter IIs.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
EDF 2025, great, mindless fun perfect in short bursts.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Puzzlers are my go to in a time killing situation. Play till you loose on magical drop, can't take much more than 5 minutes.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Street Fighter, shmups, beat em ups, Tetris. When I was on jury duty I brought the Game Boy Pocket and Tetris to pass the time. As I've gotten older and have less time, these are the genres I've come to enjoy most. Quick but challenging.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Puzzlers are my go to in a time killing situation. Play till you loose on magical drop, can't take much more than 5 minutes.

Yup same. Puyo Puyo Fever, Bust a Move and Puzzle Fighter 2 were my go to quick play games on PSP.

I tend to gravitate towards arcade style games for this reason. Shmups, Run and Guns, Beat em Ups. Its all good.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Spelunky is like the quintessential pick up and play game. You only get 1 life, level layouts are random, and the game is short (but not that you're going to beat it easily).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Now what I want to know about are those "put down and don't play games".

Because, I don't want to play them, naturally!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I've got you covered!

7YoJV0z.jpg

For pick up and play, I've generally liked anything with quick level progression. So a platformer, puzzle game (Picross and Professor Layton games are great, adventure (like Phoenix Wright or point and clicks), etc.
The rhythm games like Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents are worthwhile as well.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Check out Retro Game Challenge. You play a kid who's playing games with another kid trying to accomplish certain things in 8 different games on the Famicom. Each game seems heavily influenced by an actual Famicom game. There's 1 game that's an RPG which isn't as PuaP as the rest are but otherwise it's pretty cool and offers a decent variety.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
How about the new Batman games where you just whoop a couple hundred goons?

Or for that matter any Dynasty Warriors game or even Bushido Blade on PS1.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Project Diva and DJMax Technika Tunes, if you like rhythm games. Play a few songs and put it back down.

Reminds me, I should get Lumines for the Vita too. That's another good pick up & play. Puzzle + Music = Fun

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Project Diva and DJMax Technika Tunes, if you like rhythm games. Play a few songs and put it back down.

Reminds me, I should get Lumines for the Vita too. That's another good pick up & play. Puzzle + Music = Fun

yea i saw that at a local game shop for like $8, ill probably snag that next time im there.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
You can always play a few matches on Windjammers.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
For pc FTL on normal or hard is a great way to get a quick 15 to 30 min game. Maybe longer if you get lucky. :p