Great pick up and play games?

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
For a lot of us as we get older, there's less and less time in the day to play. So I find myself playing games in really short bursts, like 10-20 min at a time.

A great feature of the 3DS and the Vita is the standby/sleep mode so you can always jump right back into a game from where you left off and do a stage or two, a battle or whatever and simply stop and continue your day.

Lately, I've found games like DKC on 3DS, luigi's mansion, TxK, hotline Miami, or classics like the gba wario ware inc., super punch out are great for short runs to get a quick fix!

Obviously a little more time is ideal, but you gotta work with the time you got!

I play on consoles and handhelds, but any of you guys play this way with whatever platform you have at your disposal?

Crazy Taxi, House of the dead 2, darkwing duck

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Lots of Atari games are good for this. I often only have time to game in short bursts, my Atari 7800 comes in handy for that. Asteroids, Food Fight, River Raid, Yars Revenge, Breakout, Xevious. all those are great.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Rez is pretty good at pick up and play. It's even better with a pair of Turtle Beach headphones!

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Waverace 64 is always a good one for me. You can play through it in about 20mins.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Gauntlet Legends N64, EDF 2017 360 two of my fav's to get a quick fix.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been killing time with Tetris Attack on SNES and Dr. Mario Express on my 3DS. Zen Pinball 2 on the Wii U is nice as well.

As for NG games: MS1, Panic Bomber and Puzzle Bobble.

For the most part, Puzzle games are usually a good quick games to get some game time in.

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
I have been playing à lot of master system games lately. Good fun and childhood memories...

simon_C

n00b
Lately for me it's been mostly super hexagon on the pc, or Alien Hominid and R-Type III on the GBA. Not been doing a whole lot of gaming lately.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Whenever day work gets too stressful, I play sudoku or solitaire on the cell phone. Good 5 minutes of change in activity to clear the mind a bit.

dr_spizzah21

Rugal's Thug
Spelunky is like the quintessential pick up and play game. You only get 1 life, level layouts are random, and the game is short (but not that you're going to beat it easily).

YUP.
I pretty much only play that game in bursts now, usually just for the daily challenge, but I've still logged so many hours in it.
Perfect Pick up and Play game

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Waverace 64 is always a good one for me. You can play through it in about 20mins.

MAXIMUM POWER!

I played the shit out of that game. A few friends and I when I was young used to go for time records against each other in a lot of games - Waverace and F-Zero the two big ones. Fun game.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
With run'n'gun being mention all of a sudden i was thinking this,pick up and play.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
Exactly. I play my PS3 & PS4 in short bursts. Two great pick up & play games that I'm enjoying at the moment are "Pinball Arcade" & "NHL 15" on PS4. "NHL 15" is missing many of the features that are in the PS3/360 versions, but it's still great to play with a friend or through years of a franchise by yourself. "Pinball Arcade" is a collection of over 20 classic pinball machines, in digital form. It's simply the best that the actual experience of playing pinball has ever been emulated on a video game console.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
For pc FTL on normal or hard is a great way to get a quick 15 to 30 min game. Maybe longer if you get lucky. :p

I've never played it, but the soundtrack is a work of genius.

edit:
oh yeah, so I'm actually contributing something of content and on topic I'll throw this suggestion out there:

GIGANTIC ARMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgztPYKHQto

Last edited:

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
for me, some good ones are mortal kombat 2, blazing lazers, killer instinct and blazing star. basically any fighting, shmup or arcade game

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
love playing killer instinct gold on the n64, play the game with jago amd beat it within 10 mins lol

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'd say...

Mr. Driller G (or 2)
Magical Drop III (or 2)
Tetris (any, but The Grand Master series definitely is the fastest paced)

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Recently, I've been having an absolute blast with Ninja Five-O for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. It's just an amazingly polished action/platform game. Plus, it's made by Konami: a company that can practically do no wrong in my book. :cool:

P.S. For the record, I picked this up at GameStop for $4.99. While there's no doubt I thoroughly enjoy it, I don't think it's worth the asking prices I've seen it go for here. Why's this particular game so through-the-roof expensive, anyway?! :eek:

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
On 3DS, get pac-man/galaga dimensions. This comes with the championship version of pac-man and galaga dimensions which are two older games re-done (well I might add). It also comes with the two original games... who doesn't like pac-man or galaga? I grabbed a copy of it at gamestop complete for $10 used. I can't recommend this game enough. Super Smash Bros on 3DS is decent if you like arena brawlers.

For Vita, I recommend Lumines (puzzle) and Dragon's Crown (beat'em up). I will second Spelunky only if you like high-difficulty rogue-likes.

Last edited:

Jedon20

n00b
I like playing retro games on my handheld game console JXD s7800b(from jxdofficial.com).
Usually, i spend 30min in gaming.
The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros are games i spend most of my time on.