Unibios settings question

I'm planning on grabbing a unibios chip once my 4 slot board arrives. The MVS is in a public space. I've read about the arcade protect mode. I'm assuming this locks out customers from accessing the cheat menus. My question is if i can retain the censorship fixes (blood n bounce) after powering down the unit and keep the protect mode on. Hopefully I can set it and forget it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AFAIK, on an MVS the UniBIOS will keep the settings after power off, because it saves them in the MVS backup memory.I know on my CMVS it saves the region and home console modes, but I have not tried changing the settings for blood, etc.

Regards.

Hairy Otter

New Challenger
The info is saved in the backup ram, therefore, the backup battery must be in working condition.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Cheat settings are not saved to backupRAM so if your going to set the cab to usa arcade mode then you will loose blood etc in the games that require it as a cheat. If you set to euro arcade mode you will have blood in more games but you will loose one of the coin counters (ability to start on 2up side for example). It really depends on the cab, weather is has one shoot for each player or not.

Raz

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Multicarts, at least the 161 I own... Do not seem able to save softdips. Real carts are no problem, set and forget just like you said.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
the 161 in 1 can save soft dip settings, you need to set the dip settings, exit the dip menu, then exit the game holding 1P start button for 5 seconds until it resets. This saves the dip settings for that game.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
the 161 in 1 can save soft dip settings, you need to set the dip settings, exit the dip menu, then exit the game holding 1P start button for 5 seconds until it resets. This saves the dip settings for that game.

How many soft dip settings can it save?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player

Nope I can't... You see the design of the 161 cart prevents you from exiting the game when a memory card is inserted.
Because I have the built in memory version of the Omega I can't (with out opening the shell up) ever remove it. :P

Pasky

Nope I can't... You see the design of the 161 cart prevents you from exiting the game when a memory card is inserted.
Because I have the built in memory version of the Omega I can't (with out opening the shell up) ever remove it. :P

Oh I see. I did not know that.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

So the 161 uses the memory card to store the dip settings? or it uses the backup memory of the MVS? I also think that there is a way to disable the included memory card of the omega, maybe with a mod that adds a switch IIRC.

Regards.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So the 161 uses the memory card to store the dip settings? or it uses the backup memory of the MVS? I also think that there is a way to disable the included memory card of the omega, maybe with a mod that adds a switch IIRC.

Regards.

No, having a memory card inserted prevents the 161 from exiting the game and saving the dip settings to the backup memory. This is not a limitation of the memory card, it is how the 161 and other multicarts are programmed.

I believe only 8 or 9 game's dip settings are saved inside of backup ram. The oldest played game will be removed when a new title is inserted.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
No, having a memory card inserted prevents the 161 from exiting the game and saving the dip settings to the backup memory. This is not a limitation of the memory card, it is how the 161 and other multicarts are programmed.

I believe only 8 or 9 game's dip settings are saved inside of backup ram. The oldest played game will be removed when a new title is inserted.

Thanks for the replay NeoTurfMasta. I checked the manual of the MV1C (should have done that before asking) and found that indeed, the MVS saves settings for up to 8 games before overwriting the oldest one when you save the ninth.

Regards.

Cheat settings are not saved to backupRAM so if your going to set the cab to usa arcade mode then you will loose blood etc in the games that require it as a cheat. If you set to euro arcade mode you will have blood in more games but you will loose one of the coin counters (ability to start on 2up side for example). It really depends on the cab, weather is has one shoot for each player or not.

Raz

Man, that's a bummer! I Don't think sacrificing functionality is worth the boobs/blood. :/ I ordered a 161, but I'm not sure I will end up using it because of the lack of high score saving etc. It's looking like original carts with standard bios might be best for my specific situation.

One of my co-workers is obsessed with his Metal Slug scores. I have two coin slots on my cab as well. Maybe I'll still grab the bios for days that I am working/playing.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Man, that's a bummer! I Don't think sacrificing functionality is worth the boobs/blood. :/ I ordered a 161, but I'm not sure I will end up using it because of the lack of high score saving etc. It's looking like original carts with standard bios might be best for my specific situation.

One of my co-workers is obsessed with his Metal Slug scores. I have two coin slots on my cab as well. Maybe I'll still grab the bios for days that I am working/playing.

Well with the latest Unibios, you can save your high scores to the memory card. As long as you have an original cartridge, you shouldnt have problems saving to the memory card. Then it cant be overwritten by battery loss or by plugging in new carts.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
On mvs board set to aes is it possible to save scores or settings specific to aes mode, like kof survivor score/time?

Pasky

Is there anyway to increase the number of settings saved other than a memory card? Larger backup ram?

Well with the latest Unibios, you can save your high scores to the memory card. As long as you have an original cartridge, you shouldnt have problems saving to the memory card. Then it cant be overwritten by battery loss or by plugging in new carts.

Hmmm... I have a functional memory card slot. Do the memory cards die over time? It looks like a coin cell in there, but the card looks very thin.

As an update: I snagged the 161. That thing is super screwy with saving settings. Very fun checking out the games. It opened up my eyes to Super Dodge Ball and a few other odd titles I probably would have passed on. It is definitely not a permanent solution for my cab though. I'm going to pick up the original carts of the games I want. Maybe I'll keep it around for a CMVS later down the road.