Warlocks of the Fates Shinryu Senki NEO GEO PROTO 神竜戦記 new on youtube

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
It is so simple.
We need this protos for collection, and close for good the snk on MAME.
And people can able to make is own emulator just for collectors.
Xacrow still don´t get it right? Fine.

I think Google translate heavily derped.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Xacrow's not releasing these ROMs because he could be sued and his reputation, both personally and professionally would be severly damaged.

No, that's the standard "I don't want to share it outside of my group of friends" line. I get that a lot when I'm looking for specific things, such as desuiciding things that haven't been released outside of that "group". They said they are afraid of being sued by Sega for getting an original copy of the game working again. So yeah, that's B.S.

In the case of desuiding roms being released, they are also afraid it will devalue their games...so it's purely a selfish reason.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
In the case of desuiding roms being released, they are also afraid it will devalue their games...so it's purely a selfish reason.

This is one attitude I do not think I will ever understand. Sad that it appears to be somewhat common in gaming :(

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Yeah, its coming up on a reverse search here:
http://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/amphitheatre/4023/NeoGeo/OldNews.html

Under the date 15/05/2000, but that date seems much older than I thought.

Not only that, also this is interesting:

"FAKE ??: Conversei com vários amigos sobre a veracidade de tais fotos e nenhum deles acreditou que poderia ser verdade. Daí mostrei as fotos para um amigo fanático por NeoGeo e bem-influenciado que foi atrás de maiores informações. Ele descobriu que todas são verdadeiras!! O chinês que tem os dumps, recentemente revelou que, assim que todos os games novos saírem em Roms (os games novos e protegidos), ele irá lançar os protótipos um por um, um por semana. Vocês acreditam?? Eu não. Tanto porque para saírem os novos games em Roms teriam que conseguir descriptografar os Roms, o que não deve ser nada fácil. Creio que o chinês disse isso para pararem de perturbá-lo um pouco. Se alguém possuir maiores informações sobre os fatos narrados aqui, ou até mesmo correções, por favor contate-me via E-Mail."
which translates to:

"?? FAKE: I talked to several friends about the veracity of these photos and none of them believed it could be true. Then showed the photos to a fanatic friend for NeoGeo and well that was behind influenced more information. He found that all are true !! The Chinese who has the dumps recently revealed that once all the new games come out in Roms (new and protected games), it will throw the prototypes one by one, one week. Do you believe ?? I did not. Both because the new games to come out in Roms would have to get decrypt Roms, which should not be easy. I believe the Chinese said that to stop disturbing him a bit. If anyone has more information on the facts recounted here(...)"

So a chinese guy could have several prototypes for 14 years. Now try to find him LOL

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I'd also take any of the new Indie games over this. Well, maybe not that Pony game. OK, definitely not that Pony game, but Kurtz's Knight's Chance, and the entire catalog from NG : Dev has blown away a lot of SNK and the third party's earlier work. I don't disagree that it would be nice to play some of these lost pieces, but fuck... So many people saying they'd rather have these discarded titles that weren't released over the heart-and-soul poured into Knight's Chance or something like XYX/Fast Striker? Madness.

Makes me wonder why some of you are even here. Is it really for the games, or just to collect the SNK logo?

I like this post. Allow me to try to explain, at least from my perspective.

I'll start with an analogy. There are people who paint meticulous Van Gogh and Picasso reproductions on the head of a nail. Sometimes they do some incredible original work. They are impassioned, dedicated, and the results are impressive. But the only reason anyone cares or notices is BECAUSE these were done on a small area, and thus required more work, time and patience than just doing a normal painting, for everyone to enjoy.

Nobody looks at these nail paintings and talks about the beauty or meaning of what has been painted. All that matters is that it was done on a quarter-inch nail head.

So, the Neo Geo is the head of the nail.

A great game is a great game, I agree. But the Neo hardware is antiquated and ancient compared to modern technology. Almost any modern phone, game system, or other electronic device is capable of easily trumping the Neo in power. So if you are making a Gun Lord, or whatever, why not just make it on something else? Why choose the Neo Geo? I feel in many cases it is simply because of the reputation of the hardware... its legend almost legitimizes the prices people charge for what are ultimately homebrew games (again, not using that word in a disparaging way). Am I expected to have more fun playing Gun Lord on a Neo Geo than if I played it on a Xbox One or something?

The games that were licensed and developed through SNK for the Neo Geo are special, whether they ultimately suck or not. In many cases they reflect the conventions of the era in which they were made, and most have various tropes that are common to all licensed Neo titles. As a fan of SNK and Neo Geo, they are a fascinating curiosity. The homebrew Neo titles are just like any other games, but for some crazy reason the developers chose antiquated hardware.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The homebrew Neo titles are just like any other games, but for some crazy reason the developers chose antiquated hardware.

The crazy reason is guaranteed notoriety.

It's pretty easy to get lost amongst the indie crowd when releasing sub-par shooting games and Turrican rip-offs on modern technology.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
NG: DEV was offering Fast Striker on the iPhone for a few bucks a couple of years ago. It was not nearly as profitable as the neo business.

benimaru7

New Challenger
hahaha

I was in Japan last week and went to the Mandarake that has this. I think their copy is probably legit. Nicely hand drawn art, maybe an in house mockup. Whether their copy works or not we'll never know. Don't think there is any chance they'd sell it.

Sorry for the thread resurrection!
I just got back from Japan and saw the very same game sitting in the cabinet with the art and proto cart.
I'll dig out the pics I took.

Last edited:

benimaru7

New Challenger
I spoke with the guy running the store and it was donated by one of the producers working on the game, he also said its not a working rom which is a shame.

Still, it was nice to see an unreleased game in the wild.:D

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
They didn't have that art when I went last year. Thanks for the pics! Glad you were able to get some info from an employee.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The crazy reason is guaranteed notoriety.

It's pretty easy to get lost amongst the indie crowd when releasing sub-par shooting games and Turrican rip-offs on modern technology.
I agree but could you help me out and point me in the right direction 'cause I don't think there's enough Turrican clones out there going on that I'm aware of.

NGDev is justifiable as a DC release, yeah I'll pay 60 bucks to play Gunlord maybe even consider the MVS cart, a hard maybe but forget paying stupid money to play the other stuff, just not good enough to shell that kind of money, I have no objection to pay the price for a good game, like Guwange or Buttrider, hell even Dragon Blaze, but fuck that fast striker POS game, what a poor excuse for a shrump.

benimaru7

New Challenger
I always got confused with the floors at Nakano Broadway but I believe it was second.
If you are there its worth a look.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I was there. Nakano Broadway is build like a goddamn Shin Megami Tensei dungeon.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I spoke with the guy running the store and it was donated by one of the producers working on the game, he also said its not a working rom which is a shame.

Still, it was nice to see an unreleased game in the wild.:D

Well heck, that's more info then anyone's been able to get out of them since day one.
A total shock & shame (if it's true) to hear that about the rom not being functional.
That's the first we've heard of that.

Let me just say, that the first person that finally connects the dots here by putting all the parts together, will certainly find & score this game. It is hands down the most tangible of the remaining Protos. We have the the physical items at the Nakano shop. We have the past connection with N.C.I. We have the complete video on the Internet. And we have the emulated pics as well. It's by far the riskiest proto to spend crazy money on because it's out there & can turn up at any moment without warning. That's one hot potatoe man.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No you should go. Great place for buying otaku shit if you're into that, not so great for videogames IMO.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
No you should go. Great place for buying otaku shit if you're into that, not so great for videogames IMO.

From what I've seen of JP game stores (pics people have posted), 90% of what they, typically, have are loose Famicom games. Followed by shelf after shelf of wrapped Famicoms (mostly yellowed)...then, there's my favorite...broken systems labeled "junk" in katakana. These are typically awesome systems like MSX-2's, PC-8801's, and PSX systems(the awesome PS2, not a PS1), etc.

Where it's at are the glass cases...provided it's nowhere near sunlight.

Jon

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Loose famicoms and games, Mega Drive and the occasional FM Towns and PC-98 game. X68000 stuff was surprisingly rare (except for that "not for sale" X68 and Nemesis 90' Kai in Akiba's super potato.)

benimaru7

New Challenger
Well heck, that's more info then anyone's been able to get out of them since day one.
A total shock & shame (if it's true) to hear that about the rom not being functional.
That's the first we've heard of that.

Let me just say, that the first person that finally connects the dots here by putting all the parts together, will certainly find & score this game. It is hands down the most tangible of the remaining Protos. We have the the physical items at the Nakano shop. We have the past connection with N.C.I. We have the complete video on the Internet. And we have the emulated pics as well. It's by far the riskiest proto to spend crazy money on because it's out there & can turn up at any moment without warning. That's one hot potatoe man.

Maybe Mandarake can contact the guy who donated it, as hopefully that person would know where the other working elements of the game are, it's a long shot. I'm no longer in Japan so I can't go back to the shop, but anyone that's passing through could try to persuade them for more details.