MVS Homebrew Development

FinalAttack

New Challenger
So I was looking to try my hand at making a MVS homebrew. Is the neobitz devkit still available for download? Where is a good place for resources to get a grasp on the basic framework?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I noticed Jeff doesnt have his tools posted on NeoBitz anymore, I have a zip of them I found on a website a while back. I wonder if he has any updated version he would be willing to share? If not I can post the ZIP i currently have that he released a while back. I think its the version some other dude used then tried to take credit for :(

Edit: Here is a link, ill leave it up for a bit, https://www.mediafire.com/?yyg2gifij357ny4

Last edited:

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Awesome thanks guys, really sucks people cant just give a guy a shout out.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
What kind of game were you thinking of making?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
A new platformer would be great. The Neo is a fine system for platformers (Magician Lord, for instance) but there are not enough of these games for the Neo.

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
As long as it's not something like CPHD or TotC...

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I wouldn't mind developing for the neo geo as well. Will check out the links above thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I noticed Jeff doesnt have his tools posted on NeoBitz anymore, I have a zip of them I found on a website a while back. I wonder if he has any updated version he would be willing to share? If not I can post the ZIP i currently have that he released a while back. I think its the version some other dude used then tried to take credit for :(

Edit: Here is a link, ill leave it up for a bit, https://www.mediafire.com/?yyg2gifij357ny4

He took them off the site because some guy on NGFL tried to claim it as his tools and didn't credit Jeff for all the work he put in to making them. Send Jeff an email on his site Neobitz.com, he might have some new tools to make things even easier.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Does anyone have a decent hardware setup for booting code on a real MVS/AES? I've been looking at this for a while and have the necessary software / skills, but it looks nightmarish to get a development cart. (It's wonderful programming with something like an EverDrive - faster than starting up an emulator sometimes.)

Pedrobear

Cheng's Errand Boy
There's really no off the shelf solution, testing code usually means burning and fitting a bunch of EPROM.

That's that or designing whole PCB/adapters for other kinds of memory (like PCMCIA flash cards).

In most situations you can debug better on mame anyway, it's pretty accurate and you can watch ram values etc...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There's really no off the shelf solution, testing code usually means burning and fitting a bunch of EPROM.

That's that or designing whole PCB/adapters for other kinds of memory (like PCMCIA flash cards).

In most situations you can debug better on mame anyway, it's pretty accurate and you can watch ram values etc...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236491-Something-I-ve-been-working-on

This is really the best option for small meg games right now. The USB loader allows MVS roms to be loaded into the CD's memory.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
IIRC Nightmare Tony released a Neo Geo Programmer's Guide. Perhaps that could be of some use.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Not released quite yet, but its getting there.

Minor correction to this - the development bios is stable and has been available for some time. The NGCD Universe Bios release (which also has built in pc2neo/development features) is still under development.

When you purchase a PC2NEO development kit you receive the PC2NEO USB adapter, development bios, PC client code, and one of NeoTurfMasta's Neobiosmasta's for NGCD. Turf, have you finished testing your latest version of the NGCD NBM?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Minor correction to this - the development bios is stable and has been available for some time. The NGCD Universe Bios release (which also has built in pc2neo/development features) is still under development.

When you purchase a PC2NEO development kit you receive the PC2NEO USB adapter, development bios, PC client code, and one of NeoTurfMasta's Neobiosmasta's for NGCD. Turf, have you finished testing your latest version of the NGCD NBM?

Yeah it works fine. I just need to do a full run, which I plan on doing this week.

Vas

Marked Wolf
He took them off the site because some guy on NGFL tried to claim it as his tools and didn't credit Jeff for all the work he put in to making them. Send Jeff an email on his site Neobitz.com, he might have some new tools to make things even easier.

Xian xi this really disturbing to read I been a member there for years due to it was mostly uk based back in the day. There is basically only a handful of us who regularly visit thease days :( . Do you mind pm me the users ID if you can remeber it. I hate to have a rat in the rank's.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Xian xi this really disturbing to read I been a member there for years due to it was mostly uk based back in the day. There is basically only a handful of us who regularly visit thease days :( . Do you mind pm me the users ID if you can remeber it. I hate to have a rat in the rank's.

I outed him on NGFL, I remember his name being Sebastian something. He made his own homebrew shmup type game called thunder something.