Ultra SF 4

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
SFIV in general has a very different timing on everything, not just combos. The new gen of people never played the other stuff and thus I think they might find it easier to learn. Us old dogs have to re-adjust to it, it's a learning curve but it's worth doing.

I started playing SFIV with Abel and Crimson Viper but I was getting floored, then when the Super update came out I started playing with DeeJay, also got floored, it wasn't until Arcade Edition that I found a better balance in my game, playing online helps tremendously and getting beaten is part of the process.

You may think you're a decent fighter in all of the other games but you've never had access to the different array of levels you find online, not even at a real arcade during the heyday would you be able to find so much top talent. Is this safety bubble people have been dealing with for years playing their thing either at home or at an arcade with people about their same level, you just never grow, now here we are in this day and age where everyone has access to play this games with one another and the real contenders just come from everywhere.

I could guarantee you that if you play some of the older games online you'll be right at the same level you are in SFIV.

I agree with almost everything 'cept the end. There are some older titles the best example is 3rd Strike where you will get bodied, hardcore, no matter what you do to start with. With SFIV the tutorials give you a decent example of stuff that works and a basic footsies knowledge will work to a decent amount. At least enough to play well against low to mid tier players.

With 3rd Strike nothing will prepare you for how the parry system works until you get bodied. It's brutal and demoralizing, however it has one of the greatest gratifications when you finally "get it".

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh c'mon, you can play 3rdS with the basics and it will get you just as far as any other game would. It's a shame that the Capcom creative team of SFIV decided that parrying was "too easy" I don't agree. I do like the trials which teach you the combo timing but in this day and age all the tools are there to become as good as you want to be in any given fighting game, it all depends on how much you're willing to work.

So when is it that we're gonna play something, geez!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The problem with 3rd Strike is learning to hit the opponent off time. Any other game (except CVS2 P groove) this isn't a problem because it's not really possible to punish opponents for good timing other then fake outs. In 3rd Strike you get beat down for it cause they can parry you all day for it.

As for playing I've been trying, but can't fix the problem. I tried port forwarding, but it didn't fix the problem. Only other thing I can think of is trying it on PS3.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I have gotten a shit-ton better with Juri the last two days. The online timing was throwing me off the whole time, even with a good connection. I never played fighting games online in the past, due to shit internet. Later on, my connection speed has been much better along with my setup. Still... online play has just enough latency to not break out of a throw at times.:annoyed:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I have gotten a shit-ton better with Juri the last two days. The online timing was throwing me off the whole time, even with a good connection. I never played fighting games online in the past, due to shit internet. Later on, my connection speed has been much better along with my setup. Still... online play has just enough latency to not break out of a throw at times.:annoyed:

Getting off Wi-Fi and onto a Lan cable makes a big difference...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Hey let's have some games and put your new connection to the test. I'm a perfect candidate 'cause I'm not that good at this game yet.

XBL/PSN= electricgrave

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Sounds good. I should be able to play tomorrow. I only have Ultra on PS4. I guess I can play SSFIV AE on 360, but the stick I use is a little clumsy compared to my HRAP4. There's always Guilty Gear Xrd cross-play. Getting my SD2SNES flash cart on Wednesday, lol. Fuck those SNES Ebay prices.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I hear you man. I'm gonna hook up with Craig Thursday to play some HDR on PSN, he also has GGXrd, maybe we could all play together?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Sounds good. I went ahead and bought some PS3 fighting games with the Knockout sale (SSF2HDR, SF3: Third Strike even though I have them on XB 360, and Soul Caliber 2 HD for the hell of it). There are so many games I want to buy from the sale, but I will just get them on disc instead. My SD2SNES shipment got delayed and comes in today since it didn't come in Wednesday. So, I will try to get on when you guys do. Gonna add you to the friends list. Mine is Sancho025 for PSN and Sancho25 on XBL.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome, I also have those games on both PSN and XBL. I'll log in today around 8PM.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This is on sale this weekend on Steam if anyone is interested.

Speaking of which... do we have a neo-geo.com Steam group?

edit: Yes, we do. I found it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Jumping in on PSN, up for anything, gonna text Craig and see if he's up for some fundo.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Ok getting on right now. I almost couldn't stop fooling around with the SD2SNES I just got in.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That was great, good games all around. Next time we should play some SFIV, lol.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Did they ever fix the PS4 version? I'm getting the itch a little.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Gonna be out of town for 9 days after this evening. I am going to play Journey first, since it downloads in an hour. I may jump on a few hours before I leave and will probably mostly play as Juri since she is the only character I have been playing online, lol. I am trying to master at least one character and it is mostly paying off. I will try some others though. Hit me up.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey I want in on some PS3 SFIV if you guys are up for it.

PSN/XBL= eletricgrave

You can also text me and we can get togetha tu tha choppah! (617) 842-5871

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I tried playing this last night with a buddy on PS3 and we couldn't get it to work. Just to confirm SFIV is not compatible with USFIV?

We were thinking that the latter is just added content and should be able to play with the former.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
You mean the orginal SF4 as in vanilla? No, its not. I believe Super and AE are compatible with ultra users, not 100% sure