NGH old style stick: Replacement vs Original

daybona

Juz,
I think we all can agree that swapping the original buttons from a NGH stick with Sanwas or Seimitsus is a massive improvement.

What's not so clear however, is whether or not a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick is really a huge improvement over the stock stick. I recently put a Sanwa ball top on my old style stick and was really surprised how much easier it was to pull off special moves.

I've got Sanwas in my cab and on a stick I made. They're nice, but not a huge improvement over the original NGH stick. Swapping buttons is relatively cheap and easy, but sticks are another story.

Is it worthwhile swapping the stick out on a NGH stick or am I better off just replacing the buttons and ball top? What do you think?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I personally don't think it's worth it. Those original-style units have pretty good sticks in them. Replacing the ball top and buttons are an obvious improvement. But the stick as a whole is lightweight and everything is a little bit too close together, so at some point (in my opinion) it isn't worth it to get too crazy with the upgrades.

daybona

Juz,
I personally don't think it's worth it. Those original-style units have pretty good sticks in them. Replacing the ball top and buttons are an obvious improvement. But the stick as a whole is lightweight and everything is a little bit too close together, so at some point (in my opinion) it isn't worth it to get too crazy with the upgrades.

Agreed. My modded NGH sticks should hold me over until I can pick up some Panzer sticks.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I really like the stick that's in the old home controller. I still need to swap buttons in mine.

Does it matter if you use the normal 24mm buttons or are the shallower snap ins recommended?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Great link, thanks Jibbajaba

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
One question I have about the old original sticks, is where is a good place to get replacement switches for it?
Mine are in bad need of replacement.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
One question I have about the old original sticks, is where is a good place to get replacement switches for it?
Mine are in bad need of replacement.

I ordered this LS-56 and removed its microswitches, bonus I used the blackball top as a replacement too.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Good tip. I'll have to do that. My controller is barely usable at the moment and I forgot the exact type of switches that I needed. May as well order up some buttons along with it.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I wouldn't mind replacing the stick in one of my units with a sanwa or similar for the sole reason that it appears to be impossible to find a replacement spring.