SNK Playmore sues Square Enix and get their offices raided by the police

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Your logic is flawed

activision Blizzard fucks up since a decade and they dont get punished.

The discussion is JP Devs/Pubs. I really don't give two shits about Blizzard.

Japanese games get disrespected and dissed because they are foreign to western gamers (the new casual twats). Sqaure enix is only doing well because they bought eidos.

Final Fantasy XIV is doing just fine for dumb casuals and its niche hardcore base.

Taito has turned over profit every year since it's buyout since 2005 under Square Enix.

Square Enix itself is in a rebuilding stage. Final Fantasy XI profit over 11+ years alone has generated more money than any Final Fantasy in the series.

It's not something so simple as Eidos doing well.

Its always funny to see the same people who cry about that capcom doesnt release the old resi and didnt bought resident evil 6 for that reason are the same people who buy call of duty and telling the industry this is the direction to go. Also capcom will release the old gamecube remake on pc and next gen console btw.

I could give two shits about your consumer observation about Western views regarding Japanese Companies and casuals.

Especially when there are many Japanese consumers outside of the SF series upset by Capcom's decisions over the last 6 years alone.

There was a reason certain key JP employees left the Company. The global PR nightmare over one IP and their poor handling of it.

why the hate for SNK? this is good news if SNK gets more money to make games. They are really in financial trouble everyone can see that by the less amount of new games they developed in recent year

My logic is flawed and you post a comment like this. Funding a game via a Copyright Infringement suit from another Japanese Developer as good news. When all three Companies have had a track record of poor performance based on decisions by Upper Management for years.

To go any further into this with you is a waste of my time.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
They are in financial trouble due to their own judgement.

There is a major difference between the current states of Capcom, SNKP, and SE.

SNKP and Capcom can't admit their fuck ups and reorganize their upper management that caused them.

SE after years of wasting money on R&D with internal engines and major fuck ups. Admitted their issue, reorganized their upper management and are slowly attempting to rebuild from their mess.

Getting funds from settlements is by no means a fix to an internal upper management issue.

People keep saying that SNKP is in trouble. Aren't they a very profitable company?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
People keep saying that SNKP is in trouble. Aren't they a very profitable company?

They are profitable in certain areas to make up in others. They have been very cautious and defensive on the Dev end with lower risk rereleases and mobile games. Minus KOF12 and 13.

Many say they are in financial trouble due too the steady decline in revenue/net income over the years with Playmore and not comparing it to prior years as SNK. I personally think they still have some time before actual real financial troubles. It all depends on what they are willing to risk at this point.

SNKP has an advantage over Capcom and SE as far as overhead.

I haven't been watching SNKP to the extend I have with SE and Capcom in the last few years due to personal experience. Most of my experience with SNK was in the 90s and the coin-op side.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
I don't know, I see it as a good thing. At least it shows they hold significant value in the IP. KOF13 was a huge step in the right direction for them as a company, and they need to keep the momentum in the IP to carry it through to whatever the hell is coming next.

If that requires slapping Square around a bit, go for it. A lot of people have viewed SNKP as a game company just passively waiting around to shut down or get acquired for a long time.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I don't know, I see it as a good thing. At least it shows they hold significant value in the IP. KOF13 was a huge step in the right direction for them as a company, and they need to keep the momentum in the IP to carry it through to whatever the hell is coming next.

If that requires slapping Square around a bit, go for it. A lot of people have viewed SNKP as a game company just passively waiting around to shut down or get acquired for a long time.

SNK isn't just King of Fighters. I think ppl are expecting too much out of this Copyright Infringement.

HSG didn't even get extremely popular until last year yet the Manga first came out in 2010. Now all of the sudden SNK claims Infringement, not really surprising at all.

Capcom and NetherRealm are just waiting around. Who knows if they will even do anything. All of this might even be settled out of court.

The new King of Fighters as been in development so it's funding has already been budgeted. In the end it isn't going to cripple SE or make SNKP all of the sudden have money to develop another game. SNKP has it's own money to make games.

This is the main reason I responded to vaillian's comment. Stating my logic is flawed, yet their whole post contradicts itself.

There is really nothing more to continue saying about this and it's rather boring. Just your typical corporate bullshit on all sides.

Too the gamers, it just fanboy bait.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Turn about is fair play as Square issued a cease and desist order a few months back when its IP was being violated without permission. Well I guess contrary to what some think here these companies will go after even small fish who screw with their property.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/18/final-fantasy-type-0-translation-psp-vita/

I can't fault Playmore for wanting to be compensated for the use of their IP

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
HSG didn't even get extremely popular until last year yet the Manga first came out in 2010. Now all of the sudden SNK claims Infringement, not really surprising at all.

As much as people like to accuse companies as being ambulance chasers so to speak, sometimes it doesn't get brought to their attention until it gets popular enough where it gets brought into the spotlight. I'm not saying this is case all the time but not all companies have teams that scour every bit of the internet looking for patent infringement cases.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I can't fault Playmore for wanting to be compensating for use of their IP

It's stupid to expect compensation for a drawing of an arcade machine and some of the characters therein. What damage was done to SNKP by this to deserve compensation?

This lawsuit should be thrown out.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Turn about is fair play as Square issued a cease and desist order a few months back when its IP was being violated without permission. Well I guess contrary to what some think here these companies will go after even small fish who screw with their property.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/18/final-fantasy-type-0-translation-psp-vita/

I can't fault Playmore for wanting to be compensating for use of their IP

Nothing new on the SE end, they have always been serious about it. I'm not denying SNK going after SE. Ppl thinking it's gonna give the ability for SNK to make another game however, is stupid.

As much as people like to accuse companies as being ambulance chasers so to speak, sometimes it doesn't get brought to their attention until it gets popular enough where it gets brought into the spotlight. I'm not saying this is case all the time but not all companies have teams that scour every bit of the internet looking for patent infringement cases.

Very true.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I'm not sure what the fair use policy is in Japan. They probably let it slide when it was released in manga form. But now it's being broadcast over television and their label everywhere. Whether they get any money out of it, at least they are informing the public that their intellectual properties aren't in the public domain, they need to give their consent first.

Say what you will about the lawsuit.
One thing's for sure, though: it's gotten SNKP the most non-mobile game-related attention since KOF XIII.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Nothing new on the SE end, they have always been serious about it. I'm not denying SNK going after SE. Ppl thinking it's gonna give the ability for SNK to make another game however, is stupid.

its not only about money, suing SE will give them some publicity about them and their IPs which cant be bad.

The discussion is JP Devs/Pubs. I really don't give two shits about Blizzard.

Final Fantasy XIV is doing just fine for dumb casuals and its niche hardcore base.

Taito has turned over profit every year since it's buyout since 2005 under Square Enix.

Square Enix itself is in a rebuilding stage. Final Fantasy XI profit over 11+ years alone has generated more money than any Final Fantasy in the series.

It's not something so simple as Eidos doing well.
Your logic is again flawed. First of all if you include inflation any old FF generated more money than FF11, and the most important thing you forgot is that back in the day the market was much smaller therefor SE or better said Sqare, enix, taito and Eidos all of them used to have a bigger share in a smaller market. Same way with SNK, ADK, Saurus and what ever IP are now part of SNK. That alone you can see that japanese gaming industry was much bigger than it is today

I could give two shits about your consumer observation about Western views regarding Japanese Companies and casuals.

Especially when there are many Japanese consumers outside of the SF series upset by Capcom's decisions over the last 6 years alone.

There was a reason certain key JP employees left the Company. The global PR nightmare over one IP and their poor handling of it.
So where are western gamers punishing EA, Blizzard and Activision the same way brave japanese do with capcom? All their games are selling well so i guess they do everything right by ripping off the consumers. But capcom is the evil guy..sure

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/magazine/biggangan/pop20140811.shtml

I haven't translated it yet, but this came up on my twitter feed an hour ago.

Edit: Poorly translated with app on my phone.

For one contents journal series works of "high score Girl", as there is a suspicion of copyright horizontal law violations, now that I had raided by the police authorities in the 8/15, 2014, our company, line investigation by the police because it is cracked, I will refrain from publication of details on this matter, but our Toshimashite, 1 willing to cooperate fully with respect to investigation. Toshimashite our fan and Comics is a decision We fully acknowledge that the criminal complaint of this has been made, and should refrain from selling legal judgment until become apparent, was published in the past of "high score Girl" recovery of the book, and I did stop the delivery of e-books. Also, the series of monthly Big Gangan magazine "high score Girl", given the various circumstances, as soon as the time it will be considered as the hiatuses temporary "high score Girl" series resumed is determined, it is big and Monthly Big Gangan magazine because I am allowed to report at pounding official HP, in everyone of readers that are looking forward to thank you for waiting until resumption, 21, monthly apologize deeply, that it became a situation such as described above
Big pounding editorial department chief editor
Takashi Nakano

Last edited:

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
So... Japan doesn't recognize fair use? It's a drawing of an arcade cabinet for chrissakes. Not like SE stole code for games and made it their own, it's a snippet in a damn comic.

FWIW, now that I know there's a manga out there mentioning Terry Bogard, I want to buy it. I want to buy it because there is art of Terry Bogard doing a burning knuckle in it, no other reason. I'm not sure why SE should profit from that...

Also, fair use is rarely cut & dry, ESPECIALLY in this case since they are selling the book for money & it's not a parody... If it was just that one panel, then it is debatable, and the place to debate these things is in court...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If that were sold in comic market by a circle, nobody would have batted an eye.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Your logic is again flawed. First of all if you include inflation any old FF generated more money than FF11

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is

A 12+ year successful subscription MMO is going to trump a console release and even re-releases until the MMOs service is discontinued.

Inflation game won't save you.

Besides monthly fees, the company made money off 4 Expansions and 6 Add-on scenarios besides the original software sales and continued Collection Sales.

But fuck I guess the Company claiming XI is the most profitable in franchise history is completely fabricated and they should hire you, all wise one.

Once again, know your place. I'm done with you.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Can't say I feel too bad for SquareEnix, they have been doing mind-boggling stupid things for the last decade+.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Imho this is pretty fucking lame. Its like a damn tribute manga. Its like suing someone for having a arcade game in the background of a movie without asking your permission. This should all be settled out of court for no money.

SE should of just asked permission and SNK should not be fags about it.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Imho this is pretty fucking lame. Its like a damn tribute manga. Its like suing someone for having a arcade game in the background of a movie without asking your permission. This should all be settled out of court for no money.

Agreed

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

SE should of just asked permission and SNK should not be fags about it.

Kind of like how it would be super lame if Pepsi were to sue Paramount Pictures for an unauthorized can of soda or two in a movie, yeah?

Wait, no...that's exactly what does and *should* happen.

If Square was giving these things away, i could see the argument, but far as I know they weren't...they were being sold. Which makes this a pretty cut & dry case of unauthorized product placement in a for-profit enterprise.

About the only thing I find unreasonable about the whole thing was the rather heavy-handed tactic of having the police raid Square's corporate offices. That just smacks of SNK trying to play the big man again, and looks rather bad.

Also, I agree with you that this should (and most likely will) be settled out of court. Stuff like this usually is, from what I've seen. The initial court nonsense is just a preamble to the real deal going on behind closed doors.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
About the only thing I find unreasonable about the whole thing was the rather heavy-handed tactic of having the police raid Square's corporate offices. That just smacks of SNK trying to play the big man again, and looks rather bad.

Also, I agree with you that this should (and most likely will) be settled out of court. Stuff like this usually is, from what I've seen. The initial court nonsense is just a preamble to the real deal going on behind closed doors.

But but...
its not only about money, suing SE will give them some publicity about them and their IPs which cant be bad.

Remember all our logic is flawed, especially mine. One company suing another over Copyright Infringement is always positive for the plaintiff regardless of the outcome.
:thevt:

All vaillian has shown me is signs of a typical butthurt Squaresoft fanboy and tossing some Western theory bs in as well. Even if you aren't you sure act like one or just a poor man's troll.

Regarding "The Big Western Dev/Pubs". There are plenty that hate, trash talk, and even boycott them. The issue is you have the fanboys and the CoD/Madden/BF type "gamers" that will buy it all.

Just like in JP where many fanboys and the same "gamer types" buy anything FF, DQ, Mario, Hello Kitty, Monster Hunter, etc.

Point is simple, stop overplaying this and coming up with bs assumptions for excuses.

Saying things like:

- the "free publicity" can't be bad.
- it will fund a new game by SNK.
- SE will be greatly impacted.
- Western gamers have no respect for Japanese Developers.
- Western Dev/Pubs get away with everything and ppl don't criticize them and buy it.

Isn't "flawed logic", its just plain stupid.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So basically this means that manga will now sell for 6000 usd on eBay right? That's all I'm seeing here.