Which PS3 fighters?

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well people, will wonders never cease!

To my surprise, my son has just got into Streetfighter X Tekken on his ps3. I'm pretty gobsmacked because he usually just plays the usual COD, Battlefield etc so when I told him that I had this, he asked for it and seems to be enjoying it.

Anyway, my question if anyone can help is, are there any other fighters that may be of interest? We already have SF IV (it's mine) and I'm getting Ultra SF IV on Friday for my birthday!

Also, any good fight sticks for a beginner like him?

I've read the thread on PS3 sticks but I'm non the wiser. I was thinking something like the Mad Catz arcade fightstick pro? Or should I just leave him with the ps3 controller?

Suggestions please

Thanks, Halfabag

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Fight stick is a big investment for someone who may not stick with the genre. My advice would probably be letting him stick with the PS3 controller until it's clear he's going to stick with it. That said, if you want one for the two of you to share, the Mad Catz fightstick pro is a great stick with great parts... it does have slightly more input lag than other Mad Catz sticks but if you wait until the weekend of a major tournament, you can get them for $79 with free shipping with a coupon code. Probably the best you're going to do for the money. There are cheaper sticks out there and you can probably still find WWE Brawl sticks and some of the Injustice/MK sticks out there on clearance if you look hard enough.

If you want to go more expensive, there's the Qanba line from eightarc which are excellent and Mad Catz will be putting out a dual PS4/PS3 stick in the near future with similar Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.

100proof

10 Year Member
Holy shit, I said stick like 10 times in the first 3 sentences. Proofreading is your friend.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
agreed, for a kid, hold off on the stick.
as far as other fighters on the system:

Persona 4 Arena (ultimax is coming out later this year)
blazblue (other people like it, i do not)
KOF XIII
Mortal Kombat 9
Injustice

oh, and there's Guilty gear Xrd coming out later this year, super happy about that.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks guys, he's 17 BTW......mmmm :scratch: he's growing up quickly and getting big and broad. I wonder if he's getting tips so he can be the alpha male in the house!:lolz:

I'm from the UK and the MC fight stick pro is £69.99. Is that a good deal?

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The Hori Fighting Stick V3 is a great little starter stick. Proper 6-button layout too - none of this 8-button BS.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Unless he has played with arcade sticks before he would probably prefer the controller anyway.

If he digs classic games there is always Third Strike online edition, MVC/MSH, and HDR.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'd imagine Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a good cheap game to get especially since he's now familiar with the characters.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The Hori Fighting Stick V3 is a great little starter stick. Proper 6-button layout too - none of this 8-button BS.

+1 on this. I dig mine and it was super easy to mod

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
buy street fighter 3rd strike, chaos code and street fighter 2 hd on psn. you can share

I'd definitely go with the Hori suggestion above as a starter stick. Also, one of the best ways to get comfortable on stick is playing old platformers and the like.

For other fighting games, there are a lot of good airdashers on the system. I play all my Capcom games on the 360, and all the airdashers on PS3. The new BlazBlue is good (Chronophantasma), Guilty Gear XX AC +R is a lot of fun, KOF13, Under Night in-Birth: Exe Late (if you don't mind importing)

Have a good time both of you!

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
"Injustice", featuring DC Comics heroes as the combatants is really fast and really fun. It's not very violent, though, if you're in to those sort of fighters. "KOF XIII" is great. I'd also recommend "Dead or Alive 5"; it's the best of the series; looks great as well.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Guilty gear Xrd is coming out! And you can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions. As stated an Arcade stick is a big thing but You can get any of the Madcatz TE sticks to start off. They all have real sanwa stuff in them stock. and they are not too expensive.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Some other fighters not yet mentioned:
AquaPazza
Arcana Love Max 3 (coming out next week)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Skullgirls
Soul Calibur IV/V
Tekken 6
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Virtual Fight 5

As far as sticks go, they are not for everyone. If you want a cheap tester stick, try the Hori V3 as someone already mentioned above. They're like $50 on amazon.

Last edited:

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I dont think I ever had so much trouble understanding standard english. Then again, much of that was not standard.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Seconding Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's a very fun and easy to play fighter. Spent countless hours play matches on that game.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Is Arcana Love Max/Heart 3 hard to get into? This is on sale on psn as a cross buy i think and i was looking to get into another fighting game. I've been playing alot of Street Figher 3 Alpha Max on vita since it went on sale. I had forgotten all the extra modes it had that add to it. I wish more fighting games would do that.

100proof

10 Year Member
Assuming you can get past the "aesthetic" (read: anime loli parade), Arcana's a solid fighter. It feels a lot like other anime fighting games (ArcSys, French Bread, etc.) but it has some unique mechanical elements (arcanas, clashing, etc.), a big variety in how the cast operates and is fun for both casuals and serious fighting game heads. Definitely recommended if moe doesn't make you want to punch yourself in the dick.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Old thread but, seeing as he's a young lad (and, for all I know, may have already hung up his digital sparring pads?), I'd recommend the following (inc. titles you've already mentioned)

Ultra SFIV
SF x TKN
Ultimate MvC3
Mortal Kombat Complete
Injustice Ultimate
TTT2
DOA5 Ultimate

Not sure if he's ready for "2D fighters are better than 3D fighters" yet, as most who start off on SF4 aren't all that great at looking back the way.

I personally wouldn't waste the money on a "starter" stick, just to upgrade to a better stick months later. The Mad Catz TE sticks are great. Wait for a major tournament when they go on sale. Mine was list $200 but I got it for $100.

As for fighting games, remember that there is an insanely steep learning curve to each game. Online will be brutal for a while. Here are my recommendations:
3rd Strike
SSF2T HD Remix
Ultra SFIV
Darkstalkers
Injustice
UMvC3
MvC2

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Been playing a bunch of fighting games lately. Namely Jojo's, Skullgirls, Darkstalkers, VF5FS, SC2 HD and DOA5 Ultimate.

Man it's been a while.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
is Jojo all stars good? Is it a good fighting game, or is it only good if you are a fan of the series?

Also, is it text heavy? I know someone trying to sell their japanese version pretty cheaply, wondering if I should just spend the extra cash or not...

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Battle Fantasia is fun, cheap too. Pretty basic compared to other fighters, but definitely worth a fiver.