Hell yeah, Resident Evil 1 HD Remaster

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Here's one of the images Polygon has up for it though:

RE-011_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

That looks pretty awful to me. It sort of looks like they used a crap upscaler and filter on Gamecube screenshots.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Here's one of the images Polygon has up for it though:

RE-011_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

That looks pretty awful to me. It sort of looks like they used a crap upscaler and filter on Gamecube screenshots.

jpeg artifacts. The screenshot itself isn't very good so I'll withhold judgement.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Another re-master of the first one, yet we can't get a re-master of 2? Weak Capcom, seriously weak.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Knowing Capcom this'll be $40 at launch then $20 eight months later.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Who cares? Fuck those softcore noobs. I want my RE as clunky as shit.

That's a big deal for me.

I lost interest in the series with RE4 never getting past where the giant statue chases you and timed button pressing bs. The whole time playing up until that point, it didn't feel like a RE game and that's not just talking about the controls.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
I am interested to see how this turns out. Only reason I bought a gamecube back in the day.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's a big deal for me.

I lost interest in the series with RE4 never getting past where the giant statue chases you and timed button pressing bs. The whole time playing up until that point, it didn't feel like a RE game and that's not just talking about the controls.

^ One of the weirdos I talk about when mentioning people who didn't like RE4.

I'll still buy this remake. It's been, what? 10 years since it was released on GC? I think that's the last time I played it, too. I don't expect a third person version of the game, and I don't even think something like that could work for RE1, even though that style suits a game like RE better, imo. Most LTTP RE fans will be curious about this game, but walk away not liking it or getting it, I feel.

I don't remember, but did the REmake have scarce ink ribbon drops as well? What other stuff was changed between that and the original? I remember that being my biggest issue with the original game, even when it came out. Some people argue that it adds to the survival horror environment, but in reality it's just a pain in the ass.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
^ One of the weirdos I talk about when mentioning people who didn't like RE4.

Yes I am:mr_t:

How often were you saving? I always had more ink ribbons then I needed. Serious question.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The remake of RE1 was great! Like everyone else I wish they would give RE2 the same treatment.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
The remake of RE1 was great! Like everyone else I wish they would give RE2 the same treatment.

I think the big thing about the REmake was that it was a SMART remake. It actively took things that people specifically remembered in the first game and flipped them around. God damned dog hallway STILL got me on my last playthrough, a year ago.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yes I am:mr_t:

How often were you saving? I always had more ink ribbons then I needed. Serious question.

You're asking me to recall something from almost 20 years ago. All I remember is being stuck in the game with no ammo and hours before another ink ribbon drop enough times for that to be an extreme annoyance. It's not a game I went through and completely mastered like some people have. I think I beat it once and was done and moved on.

I think it's crazy that you made it 3/4 through RE4 and somehow couldn't pass the QTE with the statue, but never experienced a shortage of ink ribbons in RE1 that was a common experience for many RE1 players.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I guess I tackled it differently. I went at it with the attitude of an unforgiving NES game. Waiting until I mastered an area, sometimes using multiple save files keeping one as the master one, to always have an ample supply.

As for 4, I'll admit it's sad but yes I spent hours trying to get by the being chased part and fucking up the timed button presses. Up until then I was just going to beat it for the sake of beating it, not enjoying the changes anyways. That part was just the final sign telling me to move on and enjoy the previous ones

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looks good, probably a filter/smoothing on the backgrounds and higher poly characters. Too bad its download only. We will probably see a RE0 HD, but all the others would probably take actual effort. I would have preferred a Wii U version, simply for the touchscreen item management.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This sounds great. I'd buy it. But why are the best RE games from Capcom remakes of the old ones? Damn do I wish RE 7 would be more like RE 1/2/CV and MUCH LESS like 5/6

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Holy Moses, the update looks OUTSTANDING. I just hope they get rid of the crimson heads, too scary for Beff. :(

autobahn3000

Banned
I dunno... here's another one with a character in it.

RE_001_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg.jpg

Check out the original if that doesn't pop up as full size: http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/9/8/0/3/5/RE_001_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg.jpg

The walls have funky artifacty smoothing on them, but he doesn't as much. I think the whole thing definitely has new grain added over the top though.

Do a side by side comparison of the original Playstation or Saturn release; then you will be amazed and won't give a shit.

All joking aside, I have been waiting for this because I have always refused to by a Wii or Gamecube (inferior product with the same high price tag).

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Download only? Welp, they lost me as a customer. Totally missed that one.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Do a side by side comparison of the original Playstation or Saturn release; then you will be amazed and won't give a shit.

All joking aside, I have been waiting for this because I have always refused to by a Wii or Gamecube (inferior product with the same high price tag).

Oh well, sure, it's absolutely better than the PS1 / Saturn release. But since I've already got the Gamecube one, I'm not sure this one will add much for me.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Wish they had used the original assets and just used a higher resolution for the backgrounds. When they first announced this before I saw any screenshots, I thought for sure I was gonna see one of the best looking games ever look even better in HD at higher resolution but apparently not. Just an upscaled port.

Upscaled port or not, I am so buying the LE and digital version of this game. This is one of those games that I like to replay pretty often but don't because I don't like having to hook up a GCN or Wii just to play it and then I have to deal with the 2 discs. Having it on PS3 and having a digital copy will make this game very convenient to play.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Damn, I was kinda hoping for some kind of physical release as well. This digital only bs is becoming more of an annoyance than its worth. But as far as the game goes, this was my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE in the series. I had memorized it to the point of no hit, not save completions. Part of that was due to the item cloning trick, which allowed you to duplicate anything in your inventory. So basically I created a ton of the various rounds for the grenade launcher and had at anything that came my way. I hope they leave that in, just for shits and giggles.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Man killing every enemy takes away from the anxiety. Having unlimited ammo, hell even unlimited kerosene would ruin a large part of what makes the game great.

That's why I never even play it on normal anymore. Having every bullet count, every decision made being important, having conserve and ration out healing items, kerosene and ammunition, judging whether or not this enemy is worth the ammo or should you just avoid it. Having certain dangerous areas you know you need to stay the fuck a way from because you KNOW there is a crimson head that way..."but maybe its not up yet. If I hurry maybe I can avoid it. Better bring some back up items in case things get harry." Especially in the instance when you realize you don't have a choice. You are going to HAVE to got that way in order to move on with the game.

Man I could not play that game with cheats.

Last edited: