SNK Playmore recruiting for new KoF

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Rhythm of Fighters '15........

No but seriously, I hope this happens.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty good with MSPAINT.EXE. I'll be in touch soon.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
KoF Maximum Impact 3 Get Hype :lolz:

In all seriousness though KoF XIII is pretty well done, and these days companies know to make their classic fighter gameplay 2D even if the graphics are 3D. Hopefully we see something the quality of the new Guilty Gear.

I do wish they would make a new FF though. I feel like FF is more suited to go 3D anyway, what with lane shifting and so forth. That or just keep MOTWs system, I like that one better than KoFs.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Allready submitted my CV, now let's see what they pay.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
KoF Maximum Impact 3 Get Hype :lolz:

In all seriousness though KoF XIII is pretty well done, and these days companies know to make their classic fighter gameplay 2D even if the graphics are 3D. Hopefully we see something the quality of the new Guilty Gear.

I do wish they would make a new FF though. I feel like FF is more suited to go 3D anyway, what with lane shifting and so forth. That or just keep MOTWs system, I like that one better than KoFs.

I'm really guessing outside of the BlazBlue series, 2D fighters don't have the same sized market as 3D fighters do. Even if it's 3D on a 2D plane (SF4), I'd bet anything traditional 2D doesn't make $$ like 3D does, which is sad as I'd much prefer a pure 2D KOF XIV

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
roockie112 • 2 minutes ago

Best news I have receive today I love KOF but the ps3 KOF were pretty Crappy, the ps2 king of fighters were good especialy King of fighters 2006

:oh_no:

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Glad they are moving on this while their success from XIII still has some momentum. The series has the potential to be taken seriously again if they follow up with something strong.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm really guessing outside of the BlazBlue series, 2D fighters don't have the same sized market as 3D fighters do. Even if it's 3D on a 2D plane (SF4), I'd bet anything traditional 2D doesn't make $$ like 3D does, which is sad as I'd much prefer a pure 2D KOF XIV

I'd say you'e right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it also had something to do with the way they were making the sprites for XII and XIII. They built 3D models of all the characters, then rigged them, then animated them, and THEN freakin rotoscoped them. And now that the arc systems works guys have figured out how to get arguably better results while removing a large expensive portion of the process. It's not surprising why SNK would want to follow suit. Heck, they were already building their characters in 3D anyway.

Actually it would be pretty interesting if the new KoF used the same exact 3D models the KoF XII and XIII sprites were made from. I think I'd prefer that actually, makes it feel more connected.

Also purely 3D models does make a dream match more of a possibility, since it will lower the costs per character.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

For what it's worth, I always hear about and see far more of Street Fighter 4, MvC3, KOF XIII, and SF vs Tekken than I do Virtua Fighter or Tekken. I'd actually think that 2D/2D-ish fighting games are outselling 3D ones as of late.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
SNK said it was in 3d right? Do they mean 3d but playing on a 2d plane or being able to move around the area like tekken?

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
I'm always down for a new KoF but come on can we get a Metal Slug or MOTW 2, i bet they would be just as successful most likely do better.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
For what it's worth, I always hear about and see far more of Street Fighter 4, MvC3, KOF XIII, and SF vs Tekken than I do Virtua Fighter or Tekken. I'd actually think that 2D/2D-ish fighting games are outselling 3D ones as of late.

I think he meant fighters with 3D graphics. Specifically Street Fighter IV, MvC3, KI and so forth. KoFXIII does get a fair amount of attention, but not nearly as much as SFIV or MvC3, and when you compare those games to Skullgirls, Blazblue, Under Night in Birth, and Persona 4 Arena the difference is hilariously large. Even Guilty Gear has gotten a ton more mainstream attention after announcing that it's newest game would be in 3D.

I'd be willing to bet the big bucks KoF is staying a "2D fighter" and that they are simply switching over to 3D graphics.

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
I'd be willing to bet the big bucks KoF is staying a "2D fighter" and that they are simply switching over to 3D graphics.

Fair amount of speculation so far around this. I personally hope you're right.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Better check that free water with a Geiger counter.

I suppose by now everyone who imports games from japan should have a geiger counter at home! Better be safe than sorry bud! :D

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

They'd be out of their minds not to, being that 2D is SNK's bread and butter, and SF4/SvT/GGXrd are all successes in that transitional regard.

IF they were to go 3D, I'd like to see them make a new Fatal Fury that way, being that was the series with multiple planes and tried to go "3D" before anyone. That's obviously shooting for the moon there though as I doubt we'll ever see another true Fatal Fury game in our lifetime, regardless of what form it would take shape in.