SNK Playmore recruiting for new KoF

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They'd be out of their minds not to, being that 2D is SNK's bread and butter, and SF4/SvT/GGXrd are all successes in that transitional regard.

IF they were to go 3D, I'd like to see them make a new Fatal Fury that way, being that was the series with multiple planes and tried to go "3D" before anyone. That's obviously shooting for the moon there though as I doubt we'll ever see another true Fatal Fury game in our lifetime, regardless of what form it would take shape in.

http://hadoken.net/?p=4874

from 2012

4. There are a lot of loved franchises such as ART OF FIGHTING, THE LAST BLADE, or FATAL FURY that had been a lot of time without new entries. Any chances to see new sequels? Any that you’d want the most to bring back?

KY: In fact, we have fans of many series made by SNK currently working for the company. Personally, I think a sequel in the “FATAL FURY” Series would be very attractive.
I am also sure that we have plenty of fans eagerly expecting sequels of SNK games other than “FATAL FURY”. I heard that there are even fans waiting for a sequel to “NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM”.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yyyyup. And here we are 2 years later with nada.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
With the great hype gathered around the crowd-funding business model for classic gaming, I'm astonished no one has yet proposed a kickstarter venture for such a wealthy niche as the NeoGeo fandom, trying to get SNK-P involved in the production of official sequels of major game franchises on the NG platform.

Last edited:

chronorobo

n00b
With the great hype gathered around the crowd-funding business model for classic gaming, I'm astonished no one has yet proposed a kickstarter venture for such a wealthy niche as the NeoGeo fandom, trting to gen SNK-P involved in the production of official sequels of major game franchises on the NG platform.

I would think the hard thing about this would be getting the okay from SNK.

Fygee

20 Year Member
It would only potentially work if SNKP made the Kickstarter themselves. There's other hurdles involved like amount of widespread interest, staffing, and hurting their pride as a "big" company to basically beg for money to develop games, especially should they fail their funding goal.

As it stands right now, they're undoubtedly making much more money off of their mobile games (Metal Slug Defense hit 10 million downloads) than any Kickstarter would generate.

chronorobo

n00b
It would only potentially work if SNKP made the Kickstarter themselves. There's other hurdles involved like amount of widespread interest, staffing, and hurting their pride as a "big" company to basically beg for money to develop games, especially should they fail their funding goal.

Yeah there is no way SNK would do a kick starter to make a game. I think it would have to be a third party developer.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Well, at least Masaaki Kukino's back at SNK Playmore. He did a nice job with The King of Fighters XIII.

My worry is that the next game will run through the basics yet again, like KoF XII did. It'll have the same mainstay characters and movesets and the only new character will be Alice Chrysler...but it'll all be 3-D graphics! And it'll look slightly worse than that Fatal Fury Premium pachinko game!

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Hm, I was hoping we would have heard SOMETHING by now, but the year is almost over.
Hopefully there will be some news soon, although I guess E3 would be earliest. January to May is usually not the time for long-anticipated reveals, is it?

Fygee

20 Year Member
They'll announce it whenever they feel like it, or are ready to. Its impossible to predict as they don't really have any set pattern or indicators for announcing new titles.

One thing to keep in mind though, next year is Neo-Geo's 25th anniversary. The MVS was released on 1/31/90, so perhaps we'll get lucky and hear something then.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
That would certainly be lovely; but at least when it came to the anniversaries of their various games series, they didn't really give a shit, did they? Unless we count a celebratory pachinko release.

Well....we'll see. :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
but at least when it came to the anniversaries of their various games series, they didn't really give a shit, did they?
true. And my guess is those series are better known than MVS/Neo itself...

klee123

Zero's Secretary
If it's a new KOF I hope they get rid of the XII and XIII sprites.

Compared to the old style sprites, a lot of the characters look terrible IMO.

Clark and Ralf for instance look like roided gorillas compared to their old sprites.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I wonder if they keep baiting new recruits with the possibility of working on a new "KING OF FIGHTERS" then just have them do 3-D model and design for pachislot games instead?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
From what I heard the pachislot game are completely done by 3rd party people. That's why they're churned out so fast, and why the characters look nothing like the fighting game characters. This group hired "supposedly" is straight up working for Playmore making a fighting game.

Arcade Magician

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Let me be crazy now: SNK needs a new console. A 2 thousand machine, each game will be a ssd hdd ... Magician Lord 2, Baseball Stars 3, Nam-1976.... Oh god, this generation sucks, we need that OMFG from the 90's again... gonna take those meds now, bye

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
From what I heard the pachislot game are completely done by 3rd party people. That's why they're churned out so fast, and why the characters look nothing like the fighting game characters. This group hired "supposedly" is straight up working for Playmore making a fighting game.
Where did you hear that? NeoEsZ's theory sounds way more plausible to me...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
At this point I can't remember. It was stated on some site as a matter of factly. Could be true or B.S. at this point when they announced needing people to develop a brand new engine to run the game on I became way more pessimistic about it. Though to me it made more sense then Playmore suddenly forgetting how to draw their characters.

benimaru7

New Challenger
I hope we see some news soon on what they are working on. A new arcade fighter would be great!