Microcontroller/MicroComputer/Robot/Electronics Thread (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone in to stuff like this?

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi project right now. Basically a clone of the "PiPad" but I've had a lot of fun learning Linux and learning some Python. I've never done any computer programming before.

I feel like I'm late to the party (Note: LttP stands for Link to the Past) but I really dig embedded computing and the idea of working with computers that interact in some way with the physical world. I really like the idea of rejecting passive computing and taking control of the electronics we use in our every day life.

I got myself an Arduino the other day and plan to build a basic robot. Really just a remote controlled tank using some tamiya products, but it sounds like fun.

Anyone have a 3D printer or Laser Cutter?

I'm reading this book right now. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Chris Anderson books highly recommended.

I don't own laser cutter nor 3d printer, but I spend a lot of time at Techshop and use the laser cutters here (as we speak).

I'm using Arduino for CNC based applications.

Did you have a plan you were building your robot from or going to wing it? Keep us updated.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm actually very interested in robotics and have been following the Atlas and Big Dog projects. They are amazing pieces of machinery and will be killing all of us very soon Terminator style. I've been wanting to mess around with building a simple Linux machine to learn the OS but don't know where to start.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Anyone in to stuff like this?

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi project right now. Basically a clone of the "PiPad" but I've had a lot of fun learning Linux and learning some Python. I've never done any computer programming before.

I feel like I'm late to the party (Note: LttP stands for Link to the Past) but I really dig embedded computing and the idea of working with computers that interact in some way with the physical world. I really like the idea of rejecting passive computing and taking control of the electronics we use in our every day life.

I got myself an Arduino the other day and plan to build a basic robot. Really just a remote controlled tank using some tamiya products, but it sounds like fun.

Anyone have a 3D printer or Laser Cutter?

I'm reading this book right now. Highly recommended.

You might find Ben Heck and David Jones entertaining but primarily Ben Heck as he actually builds projects.

I was about to get into Raspberry Pi but decided to update my skill set and get into FPGA and CPLD

Arduino is cool but you will not encounter it outside the hobbyist circle, it's not something you showcase on your resume.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Arduino is the main brains in my Tricopter drone.
Most of the programming has already been done by someone else though.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
You might find Ben Heck and David Jones entertaining but primarily Ben Heck as he actually builds projects.

I was about to get into Raspberry Pi but decided to update my skill set and get into FPGA and CPLD

Arduino is cool but you will not encounter it outside the hobbyist circle, it's not something you showcase on your resume.

This, while the arduino is cool. Its very limited in what you can do.

I have abunch of microcontrollers, and a RaspberryPi. The RPi gets used as a media server for the bedroom.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
This, while the arduino is cool. Its very limited in what you can do.

I have abunch of microcontrollers, and a RaspberryPi. The RPi gets used as a media server for the bedroom.

How well is it working for you? I'm looking to get the B+ for the same purpose but want to find a good usb wireless adapter I can plug into it. The expanded memory along with more ports on there has me wanting to grab it, just would need to get a small project box type housing for it.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I started with arduinos last fall, now I'm just using atmel chips directly. I also got 3 RPis. Just done few very simple projects, I made wireless temperature sensors (you can actually connect multiple 1-wire sensors to one of my unit) and I also reverse engineered two different air heat pumps ir protocols and tested how to control them using arduino.

When I have time, I will create centralized system that measures inside and outside temperature from multiple points and controls heat pumps to deliver more constant temperature all over the house and option to lower the temperature when nobody is at home.

I have also made wireless controller for my CMVS using atmega328.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

Is that statement in a vacuum or do you encounter Pi and Beaglebone on resumes?

. . . I know you know your stuff. . .

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Is that statement in a vacuum or do you encounter Pi and Beaglebone on resumes?

. . . I know you know your stuff. . .

I am going to tell you a true story. When I was job hunting I would land engineering technician interviews that were purely hardware based in the job requirements. I did not apply for jobs that required programming skills.

I would get to these interviews and the first thing out every HR manager mouth was do I know Java, C, Python, and one time Pascal.

I work in Aerospace and you would not even get a interview if you made the foolish mistake of noting Arduino on your resume going by how the industry views the platform. The only company I have ever encountered to acknowledge Arduino as a serious platform is Mattel so I guess you would be able to add PI and Beaglebone going by that.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
How well is it working for you? I'm looking to get the B+ for the same purpose but want to find a good usb wireless adapter I can plug into it. The expanded memory along with more ports on there has me wanting to grab it, just would need to get a small project box type housing for it.

There are a few cases for the B+ available. Check out the edimax wifi dongle. It's like 12 bucks. It works well with my model B. Any hobbyist electronic site like Adafruit or Sparkfun will sell wifi adapters that work with the Pi.

Did you have a plan you were building your robot from or going to wing it? Keep us updated.

Just copying some stuff I've seen online. Just trying to learn more about the hardware and software.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I've done some development with the parallax propeller and PIC microcontrollers, but nothing too amazing. I'd recommend the propeller chip to anyone. It's really cool because of the multiple cores.

propeller

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've done some development with the parallax propeller and PIC microcontrollers, but nothing too amazing. I'd recommend the propeller chip to anyone. It's really cool because of the multiple cores.

propeller

I just learned that Parallax is like 15 miles down the road from where I used to live. Way cool. At my new place it'd only take about an hour to drive there - I wonder if they're open to public. I see they offer classes. I'm an educator but don't necessarily deal with electronics...

Saw this today: Propeller 1 Board now Open Source

Awesome.

I wish there was a local robot/microcontroller club in my area but I'm too far out in the boonies of CA (and I don't want a drive 45-60min to Sacramento.)

Can anyone recommend a good book or (free) online course to learn Python? My local community college has an online class that only costs $100.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My Raspberry Pi Tablet is nearing completion. I have two more wires to solder and then it's on to final component installation and wire routing.

This is just a part mockup with power proving it's good to go :) I should do some more work on the case but I got impatient.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I more or less finished my Raspberry Pi tablet. I'll have to take some pictures.

More electronics related but I just built this circuit:

http://makezine.com/projects/easy-led-color-organ/

lot of fun. seems real sensitive on the input volume, but by adjusting it it's pretty cool. Didn't use the exact same type of LEDs recommended, but ones with similar specs (I went with blue, yellow, red - place I order from didn't have any superbright green) - these things are stupid bright when viewed head on.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
a few books that would serve as an excellent primer

Art of computer programming - Donald knuth
Operating system concepts - A. Silberschatz
C programming Language - B. Kernighan
Practical Reverse Engineering - B. Dang
Shellcoders Handbook - J. Koziol
Unix and Linux System administration handbook - E. Nemeth
x86 assembly and C language fundamentals - J. Cavanagh

this material will give you a top down understanding of CPU architecture and memory allocation, which can be applied to ARM semantics / instructions

follow up w:

Learning Python - M. Lutz
Raspberry Pi assembly language Raspbian beginners - B. Smith

I don't like Java and generally avoid it