Bypass Omega CMVS Memory Card

necroking

n00b
just curious if it is possible to bypass / disable the internal memory card in the Omega CMVS before booting a game?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There are 3 jumpers underneath the BiosMasta that enable the onboard memory card. Under R1 and R2 there are 2 SMD jumpers attached to one leg of the resistor. Remove that jumper and add a DPST switch and it will allow you to disable the memory card detect.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I'm just curious why you'd want to disable it? Does it cause issues in some game, or is there some kind of Multi-Cart compatibility problem?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The only incompatibility is the menu system on some multicart bootlegs. There are no incompatibilities with original MVS cartridges.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the 161 in 1 is incompatible with memory cards, and the memory in the Omega is basically an internal memory card.

It's nice that the NBM has those jumpers so you can add a switch. Whoever made that must be a smart guy!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The 120 in 1 cart still works with returning to menu if the VMC interferes with running a multicart.

necroking

n00b
yes the returning to game select menu in the 161 is the reason i asked. thanks for your help

David4713

n00b
is there a fix for this issue?

yes the returning to game select menu in the 161 is the reason i asked. thanks for your help

I have an omega neo geo with the 161 multi cart. Holding start does not take me back to the menu screen. I would need to power off the system and turn it back on again to be able to pick a new game. Is there a fix through the bios? I have bios 3.2. Please let me know , thank

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There are 3 jumpers underneath the BiosMasta that enable the onboard memory card. Under R1 and R2 there are 2 SMD jumpers attached to one leg of the resistor. Remove that jumper and add a DPST switch and it will allow you to disable the memory card detect.

Any pictures or videos on how to do this? I don't want to damage my system

See above. You need to remove the jumpers that are under those resistors, but that requires you to remove the NeoBiosMasta from the CPU. You will also need to drill a hole in your Omega to add a switch to enable and disable the memory card. There are no pics of this procedure because no one (that I know of) has felt it was worth the trouble. I can take a pic and do a write up if you need one. But anything you do to your Omega may void your warranty.

David4713

n00b
Thanks for the reply, yeah I don't think I want to take the risk, I spent $530 on this and it's very nice , looks and feels. Like a quality system.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, yeah I don't think I want to take the risk, I spent $530 on this and it's very nice , looks and feels. Like a quality system.

I recommend getting the 120 multi-cart over the 161. It has a better set of games and the return to menu still works. The only drawback is that the difficulty is cranked up to level 8 on every title but you can manually adjust it by flipping down some hard dip switches.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
I recommend getting the 120 multi-cart over the 161. It has a better set of games and the return to menu still works. The only drawback is that the difficulty is cranked up to level 8 on every title but you can manually adjust it by flipping down some hard dip switches.

Forgive the kinda stupid question but is this a permanent change for all the games or do you have to do it for every game on the multicart? Does it save the setting? Like if I wanted all the games on the multicart to run at level 4, do I just set it once and forget it?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi, I bought mine that I use in my Omega in September from here :http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=50135&subcatid=0&pdtid=393285&private=

It took a couple of weeks to arrive to the UK from HK, the seller answered my questions and even sent a photo of the shipping box when it was dispatched. You just need to use dip switch 4+5 on the MC-1C board to change the difficulty on the games, so you need to open the Omega. It was easy enough and once done its saved (it took about 20 mins to do it for all the games). I used a hair dryer to loosen the glue on the rubber feet so I could access the screws. Once done, heat the feet up again and they stick down no problem.

David4713

n00b
I'm curious on Wat difficulties the ggame should be. By opening up the omega, does this permanently change the difficulty for the games? Or can I just use the bios of the omega on the games I'm playing? . I'm new to all this. You did not have any issue opening the omega? Is there some type of diagrams regarding changing the dip switch? Onece changed, Wat can I expect to happen with the 120-1 Cart and my 161-1 ?

David4713

n00b
I guess let me clarify, open up the omega, push down 4 and 5 on dip switch, change difficulties on games, the turn dip switch 4-5 off again? Will this work on the 161 cart as ell? Is there any hidden screws on the omega? Behind sticker? Thanks in advance

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I guess let me clarify, open up the omega, push down 4 and 5 on dip switch, change difficulties on games, the turn dip switch 4-5 off again? Will this work on the 161 cart as ell? Is there any hidden screws on the omega? Behind sticker? Thanks in advance

If it has a Unibios, can't you access it by pressing B+C+D at the Unibios splash?

David4713

n00b
Yea I think so, I'm not sure what the ddifference is if u change the difficulty through bios or hard dip switch. I new to the neo geo mvs. If anyone can clarify

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

That's correct. If you leave dips 4/5 down, it will go straight to the difficult adjustment menu all the time. The best thing to do is take the time to change the difficulty for every game then call it a day. The 161 doesn't have this feature. There is 1 visible screw and 3 underneath rubber feet. There are 4 total.

If it has a Unibios, can't you access it by pressing B+C+D at the Unibios splash?

No, the 120 in 1 doesn't read the softdip settings in regards to difficult. You can set it to level-4 in the softdips but it will still boot to level-8.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yea I think so, I'm not sure what the ddifference is if u change the difficulty through bios or hard dip switch. I new to the neo geo mvs. If anyone can clarify

I was in the same boat myself not so long ago. As Shadow confirmed setting dip 4+5 will change the difficulty for the 120-in-1 games. Get a nice soft cloth to put the Omega on, flip it upside down and use a hairdryer to heat up the rubber feet, after 3 mins the glue will become really lose and you and just pop them off in order to gain access to the screws. I'd put the feet in a plastic box so dust and fluff don't stick to the gluey side of them.

When you open the Omega take care with the power LED so gently lift the top cover and the power LED can be unplugged from the housing it is in. The dips are on the left side of the motherboard, I disabled free-play myself so my credits count when inserted (a personal preference so I can set myself challenges and keep track easier how many continues I'm using, unibios still lets you have infinite coins. Insert the cart and turn on the system, at the game select screen hit dip 4+5 and the screen will change to the difficulty and life count screen. Here you need to scroll through each game (a laggy slow process) and set the difficulty and number of lives. I think I set mine to 4 and 3. Once you have done all the games flick dip 4+5 back up and it will return you to the normal game select screen. This is now permanently saved until you repeat this process so next time all your games will be stuck at the new setting.

Reheat the rubber feet again before applying to the Omega and they will stick back on like new. This whole process took about 40 mins and is well worth doing. I love having a multi-cart but have already bought half a dozen legit games that are on the 120-in-1 as the real deals are nice to have :)

I love my Omega, kudos again to Shadowkn55 for building a fantastic CMVS!

Last edited:

David4713

n00b
This explanation will help a lot. Soon as my 120-1 cart comes in I will try this. I wish there was a better way to fix the issue with the 160-1 cart by holding start to go back to the game select screen . I have restart my omega every time I want to play with a different game. I heard that's not an issue with the 120-1 cart. Thanks for the info.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can always mod your Omega with a switch that grounds both dip 4 and 5 with a flip of the switch so you don't have to keep opening and closing the shell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also, does the 161 only go back to the menu with a hard reset or with the soft reboot?