Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Super-Deformed Interchangeable Monster Figures

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Here are six interchangeable super-deformed mini action figures, based on monsters from Konami's 2008 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Nintendo DS video game (original Japanese title: 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印, which romanizes as Akumajou Dorakyura Ubawareta Kokuin, and that translates to "Demon Castle Dracula: The Stolen Seal"). They're all made from the same basic "blank" body, which was then customized into each unique creature.

Below are a bunch of quick concept sketches, from my notebook, that I drew up, prior to, and during, the modeling process. Design-wise, I was shooting for a fairly simplistic body type, similar to a papercraft or collectible vinyl figurine, that could be made, over-and-over again, relatively quickly. I looked at a variety of commercial products (Funko, Minimates, Gregory Horror Show, etc.), as well as the work of other artists, for inspiration.

CAS_OoE_sketches1_zps3bfd5b42.jpg~original

CAS_OoE_sketches2_zpsfc7d2b49.jpg~original

This is what the six creatures look like, in sprite form, from the game (left-to-right, Axe Knight, Chosen Une, Draculina, Ghoul, Grave Digger, and Ladycat):

CAS_OoE_SD_sprites_zpsc862e913.gif~original

Here are some shots of the construction process. Alas, I forgot to take a photo of the unpainted Grave Digger.

uk_OoE_fab1_zps3f501944.jpg~original

uk_OoE_fab2_zpsb8d9cb92.jpg~original

And, finally, here's the finished product. I made six toys total because that's a common number for a wave of action figures to have, plus it provides enough part variety to make the mix-and-match feature worthwhile.

uk_OoE_SD4_zpsd143174f.jpg~original

uk_OoE_SD1_zpscc318e76.jpg~original

uk_OoE_SD2_zpsb6b4b0ff.jpg~original

uk_OoE_SD3_zps71f7618e.jpg~original

Materials:
Lined white paper, newsprint, cardboard, white glue, acrylic paint, ink, colored pencil, fishing line (Ladycat's whiskers only), and carpet fibers (Draculina's hair only).

Dimensions:
While they all started out with the same measurements, the individual figures' widths and heights vary, largely due to projecting structures like the Ghoul's horn and Draculina's bat wings, so, rather than listing them all individually, I'll just give you the numbers for the "base" figure, before any alterations are made: 3.2 cm (1.3") wide x 3.7 cm (1.5") tall.

Articulation:
Each figure has three rotating pin-and-post joints, at the neck and shoulders, and Ladycat's tail also rotates where it joins her body.

Time:
Five days total: July 20, 21, 22, 24, and 28 (2014). Things started off with the construction of the Axe Knight on the 20th and 21st, Chosen Une came second, also on the 21st, Ladycat was modeled on the 21st and 22nd, followed by Draculina on the 22nd and 24th, and Grave Digger was also done on the 24th. After that whirlwind of activity, I took a break for a few days before finally returning to complete the project with the sixth, and final, figure, Ghoul, on the 28th.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love the slightly chibi look of them. Great job! Any ideas on additional monster sprites or bosses?

@M

20 Year Member
I don't think I'm going to do any more from Order of Ecclesia, but, it's possible that I may do something from a different entry in the series, or another game altogether.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Love how you provide insight into the creation process. As usual, always amazed at how much detail and character you are able to fit into such small sizes.

My faves are the Axe Knight and cat (it reminds me of a family member of mine >_> ).

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
If I was only 1/8th this creative I'd be happy. Amazing work! My wife really loves them as well.

@M

20 Year Member
Glad you, and your wife, like them, but I wouldn't say that they're all that terribly creative--I just adapted pre-existing character designs to a relatively simplistic base figure template.

And I'm sure you'd find yourself a lot more creative than you give yourself credit for if you gave yourself the chance.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
that's awesome. suppose you could whip up a Persephone? you could make her up quite Adorably i'd bet;

PoR_Illustrated_Maid_zps327e88b8.jpg

persephone_ii_by_black___butterfly-d53b1xx_zps02b5f25a.jpg

@M

20 Year Member
Someday perhaps. When considering Castlevania creatures, she is one that I have contemplated making in the past--if I ever do a series focused on female Castlevania monsters, she'd definitely be in the running.

Cool cosplay photo of her too--I see a lot of those over at the Castlevania Dungeon forum, but I've never seen that particular one.