Thoughts on the two patients being flown from Africa with Ebola?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Remember we have already had an ebola outbreak here in the US we just got lucky that they eventually discovered the particular strain wouldn't cross to people. Scared a lot of folks but to me what's worse is that 20 years ago Reston didn't cross to people but the virus can mutate very quickly so who knows how it could be when the Zaire strain is in America as well.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello.

Here's some great information on the disease:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/

I don't think it's great idea to bring them back, but I think we can learn a lot about the disease in doing so. It's hard to figure out the risk/benefit ratio. I'd really like to know what the demographics are on those that are dying. It seems like most diseases like these kill the old and the young. If the mortality rate is 90% it must be very nonselective.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Could be nothing, could be something... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051

Flight from the heavily hit region and the systems match. Then again, those symptoms are those of a bad flu and about 50 other ailments.

At around 11pm on Sunday, the Department of Health said that tests for the deadly Ebola virus on the woman who died at Gatwick had proved negative.

It probably just mean that there is some new deadly disease other than ebola coming from the same region.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
obviously they're here for experimentation. just in case, they should probably put s.t.a.r.s on standby

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The only reason they brought them back was for the chance to study them, They were given an experimental serum before even getting to the US. The article I read on CNN said they were transported in a specially outfitted quarantine chopper. They are supposedly getting better in the hospital's quarantine zone but who the hell knows what could happen.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I really do feel for those that are infected, but watching the Strain right now doesn't help my opinion on bringing them here.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Makes me think of Ash overriding Ripley at the airlock.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Great, seems that the experimental serum worked: Dr.Kent Brantly was discharged from the hospital.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well that was quick. From what I've read, Ebola patients are supposed to be quarantined an additional 21 days (an additional life cycle of the virus) after they show no symptoms to make sure they are virus free...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Shit's gonna hit the fan if that patient is still contagious (even though he himself has no symptoms).

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Well that was quick. From what I've read, Ebola patients are supposed to be quarantined an additional 21 days (an additional life cycle of the virus) after they show no symptoms to make sure they are virus free...
thought I saw something like that too! seeing as this thread started before they were here(pretty sure) 8-02-2014,♥09:52 AM,somethings a bit off?

http://nypost.com/2014/08/21/hospital-to-discharge-american-ebola-patient/

can't bang his wife for seven weeks because they know it can transmit like that still, but they let him out of quarantine? .. the 21 days is how long it can take to show symptoms?

''The warning didn’t kill the mood.'' -article in the link.
oh great! I'm so glad:oh_no:

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,

Exactly! They should have kept his ass on lock down for a month. It's all about down playing how serious this shit really is.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
They needed all that hospital space though for some new insurance claims. They'll frebreze the room and get it ready for some heart patients.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
We had discussed this on the news last night and I was thinking that he came out WAY too quickly. Something's fishy about all of this...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We had discussed this on the news last night and I was thinking that he came out WAY too quickly. Something's fishy about all of this...

You think they planted the virus, and then got extracted when plan A failed?