NGPC Prices on the rise and rare games thin on the ground!

I just got my games today, and boy are they in excellent condition. They could easily pass as new if I didn't know any better. I don't have the double label like David has on his Samurai Shodown, I'm glad it didn't.

I'm really regretting not getting more games at those bargain prices to get closer to completing my set, ah well, maybe next time if he ends up finding more stock somewhere.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I picked up one of those packs of 8 loose games on EBay, with the current prices it doesn't make sense to rebuild my old collection CIB. Puzzle Link 1 & 2, Metal Slug 2, Puzzle Bobble Mini (already have this in clamshell), Dark Arms, SNK v Capcom Card Fighters, Pocket Tennis and Dark Arm for $35 shipped.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
that's a very decent selection, mad man. Price is good, too.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'm pretty sure those are official packs too. There were like three different combo packs that came out. I think they were made to help make everything more affordable for people to get into the system.

madman

I remember seeing some similar packs in Best Buy after the NGPC had died. It was basically a new system and maybe a dozen loose carts shrinkwrapped on top of a piece of cardboard. Makes you wonder what happened to all the boxes and manuals for those loose carts.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I remember seeing some similar packs in Best Buy after the NGPC had died. It was basically a new system and maybe a dozen loose carts shrinkwrapped on top of a piece of cardboard. Makes you wonder what happened to all the boxes and manuals for those loose carts.

They never had the boxes or the manuals. They were basically made without them to make things cheaper. I also think they were just Japanese carts but with new labels. I'm not certain on that last part. I'd have to open them up to see.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
The games are real, but the packages aren't "official." They were sold by some other company long after SNK shut down in America.

I think it's a combination of games that were recalled (and the packaging was either tossed by SNK or the distributor they sold them to), and extra carts that might not have had boxes made. (which would explain the Japanese carts). None of the carts were relabeled, though the rumor was that SNK intended to recall US games to repackage for sale in Asia.

madman

The games are real, but the packages aren't "official." They were sold by some other company long after SNK shut down in America.

I think it's a combination of games that were recalled (and the packaging was either tossed by SNK or the distributor they sold them to), and extra carts that might not have had boxes made. (which would explain the Japanese carts). None of the carts were relabeled, though the rumor was that SNK intended to recall US games to repackage for sale in Asia.

That's what I recall in terms of timing. Even before I was as into SNK/Neo Geo as I've become in recent years I seem to remember that SNK was dead in the US when I saw those packs. IIRC, some of the games had Japanese labels which I remember thinking was odd at the time. Kind of like when JP Virtual Boy games were being sold in places like Electronics Boutique.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Didn't really know where else to post, so here it goes:

I bought the UK releases of SamSho1 and KOF R-1 from this ebay seller when it was posted and a UK Biomotor Unitron with snap lock a couple of weeks ago (made an offer on all of them, got pretty sweet deals)... but alas, I only wanted the carts (don't have any boxes/manuals other than these and no use for all that stuff).
I don't really want to hang on to the snap locks etc., what do you suggest I do with them? Think there would be people out there looking for just the paper/cases?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i bought mine with 6 games for around £15 back in 05.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
I'm sure someone would want the art and cases. The clam shell cases were leaps ahead of those sad cardboard boxes we got in the U.S.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Is it too late to pick one up or could I still find one dirt cheap?

Last edited:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Is it too late to pick one up or could I still find one dirt cheap?

A NGPC system? The system itself is still pretty reasonable and plenty of games are cheap if you avoid clamshell cases (rough rule of thumb anyway).