The Kung-Fu Flick Thread: Your Recent Pickups and Favorites.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yet another desperate attempt by myself to get the Kung Fu Flick fans in here. Will never be as popular as the anime threads, which is craziness!

I think myself and Terry330 are the only true Kung Fu Flick fans. Prove me wrong! Post some movies from your collections, or suggest your favorites and why they kick ass.

Here is my small collection. Recently picked up Legendary Weapons of China, and Magnificent Butcher.

Please ignore my foot. And the crap low quality pics.

Ranked 1-5 (5 being amazing)

Shaolin Master Killer - 4 (this is a great movie, highly recommend)

Prodigal Son - 5 (What a kung Fu movie should be. If you watch Kung Fu Movies, this is mandatory)

Shaolin vs. Lama - 5 (this is my personal favorite of all time. Many will probably disagree, but it is surprisingly high budget for a kung fu movie, and has some really cool training and fight scenes)

Ol' Dirty Kung Fu - ? (this is a recent pickup from a store at the mall. Not expecting much, but for $3.00 I had to try it)

Born Invincible - 4 (not the greatest film, but better than most kung fu movies. This is a must watch, is kind of funny with the sound effects, but will probably not be a favorite)

Lord of the Wu-tang - 2 ( I need to watch this again, I remember really not caring for it much)

Eagle vs Silver Fox - 2 (again, need to watch again but remember not being very good)

Ninja Checkmate - 3 (a decent movie but no where near the best. Worth watching)

Magnificent Butcher - 4 (great film, for a bigger guy Sammo Hung can do some really impressive stuff. The story is a bit lacking, but this is a keeper)

Legendary Weapons of China - ? (Just started watching this yesterday morning and fell asleep, not because it was boring, but because I was running on 3 hours sleep. This feels solid so far, and maybe one of my new favorites)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude I love me some Kung Fu.

Some of my favorites.

Mystery Of Chess Boxing
Snake in Monkeys Shadow
Blind Fist of Bruce
Drunken master (70's)
Fearless Hyena
Dragon Fist.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
A couple months ago I picked up 5 Deadly Venoms on Blu-ray and Master of the Flying Guillotine on dvd.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Huge Kung Fu fan, especially Shaw Bros. films. Here is my top 10 in no particular order.

Way of the Dragon
Police Story
Dragons Forever
Shaolin Challenge Ninja
Knockabout
The Victim
Fist of Legends
Martial Club
Crippled Avengers
Last Hurrah of Chivalry

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Drunken Master II and Iron Monkey are the only two in my movie collection.

I recently watched The Raid 2: Redemption, which was pretty excellent.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
A couple months ago I picked up 5 Deadly Venoms on Blu-ray and Master of the Flying Guillotine on dvd.

MOTFG is legendary. You could see where the inspiration for Dhalsim came from.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Huge Kung Fu fan, especially Shaw Bros. films. Here is my top 10 in no particular order.

Way of the Dragon
Police Story
Dragons Forever
Shaolin Challenge Ninja
Knockabout
The Victim
Fist of Legends
Martial Club
Crippled Avengers
Last Hurrah of Chivalry

Yes, Shaw bros is the best. Looks like I will be looking for MOFG today on eBay. Please keep em coming. Kung fu is so cheap I want to build up my collection.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yes, Shaw bros is the best. Looks like I will be looking for MOFG today on eBay. Please keep em coming. Kung fu is so cheap I want to build up my collection.

Cheap now but back then on VHS they were super expensive. Cost like $80 for Tai Seng Video. Most of my collection were VHS but my parents gave all my stuff away when i left home. Here is my current collection of asian/martial arts films underneath the Enter Dragon Poster.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Nice ETD print!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Drunken Master II and Iron Monkey are the only two in my movie collection.

I recently watched The Raid 2: Redemption, which was pretty excellent.

no redemption in raid 2.

i really liked it, but it was not without its flaws. the first one really kicks the sequels ass.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yeah the original Once Upon Time in China was sweet, 2 & 3 were fun...Vincent Zhao was ok w/ the 4 & 5 but the movies got too ridiculous...

The Raid was overall a better movie then Redemption. The pacing was just perfect...Redemption had tons more better action but editing & story dragged a bit. Very uneven but both still awesome films.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I am going to recommend Shanghai/Millionaires Express to the OP. Excellent Sammo Hung flick.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
missed a win on a huge kung fu lot today with MOTFG in it... Could have got it for less than $2.00 with the 11 dvd lot.

OK, I have a question someone here may know. I remember watching Kung Fu in High School with friends. One guy had a huge collection. And there was a trailer compilation before a few of them, and one of the movies has these guys running up trees. Not much to go on. But does anyone have an idea what that movie may be?

I remember when I first moved to Columbus my old roommate and best friend brought Onk Bak home, the first one and a few came over and watched it. Not exactly Kung Fu, but I was pretty blown away by it. Never saw the other ones. But I still think the first one is pretty sweet.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'll add a few more

Pedicab Driver
Heroes of the East
Return to the 36th Chamber
Return of the One Armed Swordsman
Buddhist Fist
My Young Auntie
Come Drink with Me
Fist of the White Lotus
Burning Paradise
The Boxers Omen
Duel to the Death
Righting Wrongs (not oldschool but it's Yuen Biao and Cynthia Rothrock at their best)

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Here are some more awesome kung fu flicks!

Avenging Eagle
5 Deadly Venoms
Boxer From Shantung
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
10 Tigers of Kwantung
Iron Monkey (original)
Spooky Encounters Third Kind
Warriors Two
Odd Couple
Kid With the Golden Arm
Thundering Mantis
Shaolin Temple series
Enter the Fat Dragon
Dirty Ho
Snake in the Eagle Shadow
Fearless Hyena
Mad Monkey Kung Fu

So many more but these are all consider top kung fu films IMO.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I was staying over RareHero's a few months back and his girlfriend wanted us all to watch "The Crippled Masters" and I was surprised at how good it was!

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
A few of my favorites are:

Challenge of the Masters
Martial Club
Executioners from Shaolin
Magnificent Butcher
Monkey Kung Fu (Monkey Fist Floating Snake)

Overall I'm partial to anything showcasing hung ga kuen

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
As far as newer films I watched Jet Li's Fearless over the weekend. i had not seen it in a couple years and it was actually pretty good.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I've always been a fan of kung fu movies but never fully done my research. I remember growing up looking at VHS tapes of kung fu films, Wu Tang Clan had their own "series" of classics. Also I remember seeing a trailer for Tarantino's line of VHS kung fu releases. But I never pulled the trigger. Over the years I've enjoyed some Bruce Lee or Sonny Chiba films, but only recently have I been looking into some of the more ridiculous titles. I've been checking out http://www.reddit.com/r/KungFuonYouTube

Here's two that I've watched recently and enjoyed:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
The Journey Continues...

Recently watched Drunken Master and 7 Grandmasters. I enjoyed them both, reminded me of the Pai Mei sequence of Kill Bill vol. 2. So if you're into that sort of master/apprentice training montages that all pay off in the end with an epic fight utilizing all the skills learned throughout the film, I recommend these both.
(looks like Drunken Master was just blocked in the US. copy this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lllh_kFzVl4 and use proxfree.com - choosing 'Sweden' from the drop down menu worked for me ;) )

I think next I'm going to jump into the Shaw Brothers Studio productions. Anyone have any recommendations for SB films they have seen and enjoyed?

Also, I know this is the Kung Fu "Flick" thread, but I'd be remissed not to mention my favourite television program of all time, Kung Fu. Any other fans of the 1970's David Carradine show?