muchi pork / pink sweets for Xbox 360

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm a big fan of cave shooters and have been slowly getting all the titles on the 360. Ive never played it, and since this title is way pricey for an Xbox game I was wondering if it was worth it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm a big fan of cave shooters and have been slowly getting all the titles on the 360. Ive never played it, and since this title is way pricey for an Xbox game I was wondering if it was worth it.

Strangely enough I bought the GH version for 40 bucks not 6 months ago. Crazy how even that release skyrocketed. I'm not a fan of either one, but others seem to really like it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I like muchi muchi pork. Worth it IMO. I also have the GH (Cave The Best) version.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The cheapest I've seen it on ebay is 70. No clue why it went up in price so quickly. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it on Amazon when i had the chance

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hey it used to be $200+ for a little while, so $70 is not soooo insane. I got mine for $35 about a year ago give or take. The games are great! Pink Sweets is really unique and takes a special kind of person. Pork is like Ketsui except it's fun.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
As far as Cave or Yagawa games go, I'd put them both low-tier. Neither are particularly accessible, though MMP1.01 and Pink Sweet Arrange mode are somewhat approachable. Pork is fun if you can deal with the chaotic nature and questionable art style, where Pink Sweets arcade becomes nearly impossible after the first few stages.

Unless you really like Raizing/YGW games, I'd say go for the other Cave games on the 360 before splurging on the double pack. However, if you are more of a casual player who just is looking for bright colors and explosions, these might be right up your alley.

One other note: if you use a tate display you might get annoyed at how difficult it is to setup all the individual game modes to be optimized on your TV (but it is doable!) You have to adjust screen settings for each mode, which is hilariously idiotic.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Acquired this not too long ago, and although I've not put that many hours into either, I quite like muchi muchi pork, but pink sweets not so much.

As Chempop says, messing about with tate mode is a total bitch. Why they just didn't have standard tate/yoko option in set up god alone knows. :annoyed:

I suppose it's still cheaper to pick this pack up than the original Cave PCB's!

Chempop

I suppose it's still cheaper to pick this pack up than the original Cave PCB's!

That's very true, they each run between $400-500 usually iirc, but since the Pink Sweets port doesn't have the infinite lives trick you will never 1CC it (so you might as well play arrange mode which is more fun anyway).

One plus with the port is that each arcade mode has the standard 1.0, but also a easier 1.01 which significantly reduces the difficulty by adding some gameplay tweaks here and there.

If this art doesn't scare you off, then go for it NSFW:
Spoiler:
6b1crwh.jpg2004780-big_burn.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I sold my copy of the original port to malignantpoodle, who probably in turn sold it for drugs. I've been meaning to pick it up again, I enjoyed pork alot, but don't let the art style fool you, it's a hard fookin game.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
As far as Cave or Yagawa games go, I'd put them both low-tier. Neither are particularly accessible, though MMP1.01 and Pink Sweet Arrange mode are somewhat approachable. Pork is fun if you can deal with the chaotic nature and questionable art style, where Pink Sweets arcade becomes nearly impossible after the first few stages.

Unless you really like Raizing/YGW games, I'd say go for the other Cave games on the 360 before splurging on the double pack. However, if you are more of a casual player who just is looking for bright colors and explosions, these might be right up your alley.

One other note: if you use a tate display you might get annoyed at how difficult it is to setup all the individual game modes to be optimized on your TV (but it is doable!) You have to adjust screen settings for each mode, which is hilariously idiotic.

I have an Asus VG248QE hooked up via VGA. It works great with the other cave games I have. I was assuming these games would work just as well?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

All the Cave 360 ports I have are like this. So annoying. But hey, it works, and the games play great, and I got the greatest hits versions for (comparatively) cheap.

Chempop

I have an Asus VG248QE hooked up via VGA. It works great with the other cave games I have. I was assuming these games would work just as well?

"Just as well" depends on what you mean. The MMP/PS double pack has no HD upgraded graphics like many other Cave ports, so they aren't the best looking on a VGA screen without scanline generator. I use the mini-SLG by craftymech and it definitely helps, but I'm also using a VGA CRT, not an LCD. The other low res only Cave ports are DDP-DOJ-blex, Ketsui, and Guwange.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Trying to track down this game for a while, as well as another shooter (Batrider), due to their unique style. Is the Cave the Best version also region free too?

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
"Just as well" depends on what you mean. The MMP/PS double pack has no HD upgraded graphics like many other Cave ports, so they aren't the best looking on a VGA screen without scanline generator. I use the mini-SLG by craftymech and it definitely helps, but I'm also using a VGA CRT, not an LCD. The other low res only Cave ports are DDP-DOJ-blex, Ketsui, and Guwange.

Ok. I have an old CRT monitor that I can dust off and try out

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Trying to track down this game for a while, as well as another shooter (Batrider), due to their unique style. Is the Cave the Best version also region free too?

Hey Wolf, Batrider was released on PCB only correct? Or is there some console port availible?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you use a VGA cable with the 360 and set 640x480 and run tate, the cave ports look pretty good on a CRT. I have a 360 in my net city right now set up like that. Guwange (total pain in the ass to get full screen Tate) looks good, so does espgaluda II, muchi muchi pork, and mushihemasama futari. The best looking game on vga is actually raiden fighters aces. It's got a nice built-in scanline emulation that makes it pretty much look like 15khz even on a 31khz monitor.

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If you use a VGA cable with the 360 and set 640x480 and run tate, the cave ports look pretty good on a CRT. I have a 360 in my net city right now set up like that. Guwange (total pain in the ass to get full screen Tate) looks good, so does espgaluda II, muchi muchi pork, and mushihemasama futari. The best looking game on vga is actually raiden fighters aces. It's got a nice built-in scanline emulation that makes it pretty much look like 15khz even on a 31khz monitor.

Nice! Yeah I go VGA on the 360 so I can rotate my monitor easy for verts. I'll have to swing by my folks house and grab the oh l old CRT and give it a try

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug

If you can find a platinum hits copy, it will run you between $35-$50 USD. It's not HD, but still worth playing. Play-asia.com may still have copies. Also, try the folks on shmups as they may be able to help you out with a copy as well.

Batrider never made it to any console. Only way to play it is through MAME or outright buying the PCB. The game is amazing... not sure about $500 amazing for most people, but it is great.

Last edited:

tastysoil

New Challenger
I really like MMP, it's one of my favorite Cave shooters…super weird game!
I never could get into PS though…

MMP is one of my favorite Cave games, and Pink Sweets has arranged modes that I prefer to the arcade version. Great stuff!

Asure

Captain Dick,
Ok. I have an old CRT monitor that I can dust off and try out
The 360 runs interlaced on RGB, i have one connected to a 15K.. Pork & Sweets do not look as good as say, Futari & Galuda 2... but it beats shelling out for the pbc's.. ;)

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'm not really getting into Pink Sweets and Muchi like I thought I would. They're good games, quality shooters. But just not grabbing me the way classic Cave games do. I'm starting to think I'm just not a fan of Yagawa's style

Chempop

I'm starting to think I'm just not a fan of Yagawa's style

They don’t hold a candle to Bakraid, Batrider, Garegga, or Ibara. I think he was just trolling cave fans with Pink Sweets.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
They don’t hold a candle to Bakraid, Batrider, Garegga, or Ibara. I think he was just trolling cave fans with Pink Sweets.

I've never truly played any of those, just brief glimpses in MAME. What would you say is his best?