KOF DC ports

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Are these any good? Anything major missing/added over the Neo versions?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
98 (dream match 99) and 99 had 3d backgrounds. 99 had extra strikers including vanessa and some survival modes that weren't on neo i believe.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
IIRC The 98 port was fantastic but the 3d backgrounds looked really out of place. CvS did the 3d background thing much better.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I loved the backgrounds+ the ASTs.

'98 had an animated intro by Sunrise, too. These were some of the best ports ever.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
IIRC The 98 port was fantastic but the 3d backgrounds looked really out of place. CvS did the 3d background thing much better.

Don't forget the music. It starts over between rounds, kind of annoying.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
one thing that kinda sucks about all SNK DC ports is that none of them support VGA :(

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
one thing that kinda sucks about all SNK DC ports is that none of them support VGA :(

KOF 2000, 2001, 2002, and Garou all work on VGA.
KOF '98 and Last Blade 2 support 240p via RGB SCART. KOF '99 is a bastard that only runs in 480i.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
They still look decent via svideo on the PVM

absolutely!! but before I had a pvm, I was rocking my old computer monitor for the DC, and ran into the troubles of games that weren't VGA supported.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
KOF 2000, 2001, 2002, and Garou all work on VGA.
KOF '98 and Last Blade 2 support 240p via RGB SCART. KOF '99 is a bastard that only runs in 480i.

99 dream match, LB2, and kofEvolution were the ones I had trouble with, I hadn't tried the later 2000-03, so I'm glad they got supported.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Mugi, you have a Hanzo, have you tried the low res/high res switch trick to force vga mode? I just got one myself but haven't tried KOF yet.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
also worth noting, kof 2001 on DC has a puzzle mode tetris type game that wasnt included in any other port afaik.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Mugi, you have a Hanzo, have you tried the low res/high res switch trick to force vga mode? I just got one myself but haven't tried KOF yet.

I've read about the Hanzo, but haven't pursued since my PVM has s-video and I don't play on a LCD. I assume they make flat screen look nice?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i would be interested to hear how this works. didnt know about a hanzo until this, just had used a dc-x disc to force vga and a standard vga box but would much prefer this device because the dc-x disc tends to wear out DC lasers so ive stopped using it.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I've actually never gotten the "switch" trick to work on the hanzo. By all means it should but it never worked for me.

I've read about the Hanzo, but haven't pursued since my PVM has s-video and I don't play on a LCD. I assume they make flat screen look nice?

the scanlines do look pretty nice on it, it's obviously much more noticeable on 2D games than 3D, but even my wife who plays Typing of the Dead alot, prefers the scanlines. The scanlines end up dimming the screen a little bit, but it's not too bad. Overall, I'm very happy with the thing, it's reasonably priced and does a good job, although I can't vouch for the resolution switch thing, everything else works great on it.

apologies for turning this DC KOF thread into another VGA discussion :(

here's a couple shots to kinda show the difference the scanlines make, it's from phone camera so bear with me

without
2gbjVcJ.jpg

with
xRQUMEA.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've actually never gotten the "switch" trick to work on the hanzo. By all means it should but it never worked for me.

the scanlines do look pretty nice on it, it's obviously much more noticeable on 2D games than 3D, but even my wife who plays Typing of the Dead alot, prefers the scanlines. The scanlines end up dimming the screen a little bit, but it's not too bad. Overall, I'm very happy with the thing, it's reasonably priced and does a good job, although I can't vouch for the resolution switch thing, everything else works great on it.

apologies for turning this DC KOF thread into another VGA discussion :(

here's a couple shots to kinda show the difference the scanlines make, it's from phone camera so bear with me

without
2gbjVcJ.jpg

with
xRQUMEA.jpg

NP Mugicha, still relevant and I even asked about it. I saw XX had some, was thinking about it, but I just don't play games on the flat screen

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
2000 had extra backgrounds from earlier KOF games. I remember seeing a stage from '96.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
2001:had some puzzle minigame
2002 had two or three extra characters which weren't on neo geo (Shingo, King and someone else I think) No AST on that game.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
The Hanzo is a great device. The scanlines give the flatscreen the original look. I think they are in pretty high demand these days. They are very well made.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
those ports are playable, but the moves don´t come out so fluent like in the original imo

KSZ

n00b
Did somebody unlocked all of extra strikers in KOF Evolution DC? And how many levels they have? I am trying to do that right now, but cost for strikers are expensive. I beated game five of six times on max difficulty, and i was able to buy only four justice strikers (level 1) and another one (level 2).

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Did somebody unlocked all of extra strikers in KOF Evolution DC? And how many levels they have? I am trying to do that right now, but cost for strikers are expensive. I beated game five of six times on max difficulty, and i was able to buy only four justice strikers (level 1) and another one (level 2).

Oh man myself and like 5 of my friends had to grind the HELL out of that game to unlock everything. IIRC the best (legit) way to do it was with the NGPC (we didn't actually have one, its just what I read) and getting points that way but its either way its not worth it.

It takes a long time. If you have a Code Breaker, I would just use that and unlock everything.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Another option would be to burn the game data on a cd, transfer it to your VMU & then boot up your game