Working on Samurai Spirits RPG translation

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Small update guys, seems the one doing the spanish translation (who lost all the work... but had a copy with most of the stuff on his psp) has nearly remade around 90% of the work he has done before the incident and will soon start with Chapter 2.
Let's hope he can finish it soon...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So is there not a current English translation process happening? I figure Apocalypse just gave up, so all thats left is this one.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
The translation of this game is a curse. I dont get why this has been the biggest struggle ever.

you know i've always thought about that myself, this game getting translated seems to be cursed for real :loco: anyways he has indeed recovered most of his work and has started chapter 2 already. freaking sweet news

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
What version does this guy play ? Its a full walkthrou ? Uploaded on Youtube 2014 ?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
That's deuce. The original guy that was translating. He gave up for whatever reason. Probably because he is a douche.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

i've read a few people asked him if they could continue his work, but he never wanted to release the material, didn't he want money for it or something like that?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i've read a few people asked him if they could continue his work, but he never wanted to release the material, didn't he want money for it or something like that?

It's a long complicated story.
He started translating games commercially, so these projects are not longer an interest or priority.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Some ppl are strange. In case he has the game translated 100% why he does not start a Kickstarter ?
In that case everyone that pledges get the patch and a patcher tool. He can set the final amount he whats for his translation so everyone is happy.

If he does not get the final amount he gives the backers money back and does not release the patch to the backers.

Dont really know where the problem is.
I actually think a lot ppl are interested in a patch since years. On the other hand i played throught booth storys with Galford. Its sad that i dont understand any of the japanese bit its possible to play it even without knowing what NPCs say.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Dont really know where the problem is.
Do some searching on the older threads, from what I remember Deuce had about completed it, someone insulted him (or something along those lines), he snapped and in a rage told everyone to piss off and that he'd keep the translation for himself, leaving the forum as well. A bit later he lost the data and all his work was gone (or that's what he claimed). Idiotic to the max.

He was then involved in the commercial translation of another game (one of the Ys or sth?) and there was some disagreements about how the money was to be distributed among the people doing the work, if he had stolen some of the content from another team or something, somewhat casting him out of the (fan)translation scene.

Again, this is just what I remember, it's most likely not the whole story and/or faulty. What you can be sure of is that Deuce is the wrong person to put your hopes on if you're looking for a SSRPG translation.

Last edited:
Wow i didn't really know the details or at least didn't remember them well, i had read about it a long time ago....so sad...so sad indeed

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I beat this game over 20 years ago on Sega Saturn and was looking into playing it again. Out of all the crap that was ever translated, this game wasn't. At least not released anyway.

The curse lives on.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Still no news from the guy doing the spanish translation... hope this doesn't end in another "on hold forever" :(

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Isn't this one of those games, which is perfectly playable even without any knowledge of Japanese? The story is probably nothing a 400 word wikipedia summary couldn't fix, or is it?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Isn't this one of those games, which is perfectly playable even without any knowledge of Japanese? The story is probably nothing a 400 word wikipedia summary couldn't fix, or is it?

It's not one of those RPG's that mostly has english menus. It's rather Jp heavy, but you could struggle your way through it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's not one of those RPG's that mostly has english menus. It's rather Jp heavy, but you could struggle your way through it.

Thanks for the info NeoSneth, jpn. menus are not a game breaker indeed, but I guess it won't be as easy as playing an action-adventure on the PCE. It's a pity they didn't designed a Wonder Boy kind of game like Popful Mail or MVIV coupled with the sobriety and darkness of Efera & Jiliora, thus making a translation obsolete from the get go. I'll give it try nonetheless and see how far I get.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Every few years I think to myself... oh... man... SamSho RPG! That's right! Someone's probably translated by now!.... Nope. Oh, well. I'll check back in on this in 2020 or so. ;)

I'd love to see a full english translation in my life time. It amazes me given the dedication of the SNK fanbase, the more mainstream acceptance of the Samurai Showdown series and the fascination of the game being so niche on release (both an SNK RPG and a Neo Geo CD exclusive) that there aren't more people clamoring to work on this.

Huge thanks and respect to those that have worked on it so far. I hope to play through an entire translation one day.