Working on Samurai Spirits RPG translation

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
are you using a hex editor, disassembler, ng development tools?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Stupid question of the day:

If you took the CD version and worked some Raz/NTM magic on it, what language info data is already there?
Moon speak is the only language on there since it is all text

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Moon speak is the only language on there since it is all text

If the Japanese is held as text in the game (and not sprites of text), would it be possible to run that data out to an arduino/pi, have that sent to Google translate, and return the text back in English text?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If the Japanese is held as text in the game (and not sprites of text), would it be possible to run that data out to an arduino/pi, have that sent to Google translate, and return the text back in English text?

You could, but the translation would be exceedingly shitty.

The way you do it is figure out the compression if there is any present, you create a tool to extract all the text and scripting from the game, get someone to translate all that, hack in an English alphabet, edit all text into English, then re-insert into the game, adjusting pointers as necessary and possibly have to hack the game to increase the size of the windows to fit the more space wasting English language.

Every one of those steps is very difficult and takes a ridiculous amount of time and skill to pull off. I didn't even explain the more awful parts.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You could, but the translation would be exceedingly shitty.

The way you do it is figure out the compression if there is any present, you create a tool to extract all the text and scripting from the game, get someone to translate all that, hack in an English alphabet, edit all text into English, then re-insert into the game, adjusting pointers as necessary and possibly have to hack the game to increase the size of the windows to fit the more space wasting English language.

Every one of those steps is very difficult and takes a ridiculous amount of time and skill to pull off. I didn't even explain the more awful parts.

I trust your word. Great reply.

darknezz19

n00b
Heck yeah, always wanted to play this game when I was a little kid. Good luck with the translation.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
When SSRPG was coming out, I didn't know what "RPG" meant. I thought it was actually "RPK", and so I thought that meant "Run, Punch, Kick". I was really into beatemups at the time, so I was really looking forward to this game.

Jonathan32

n00b
Wondering how this ever came along? Did he ever finish the Spanish translation? How about the English version he was also working on?

Yun

New Challenger
I hope he finished the Spanish version. Glad I can read both

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Two month bump for great justice.

No word(s in English that were previously in Japanese), eh?

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Damn. If he finished the spanish translation, that'd be a hell of a lot easier to either translate, or play and figure out what they were saying via online translator (if you can't read spanish)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Damn. If he finished the spanish translation, that'd be a hell of a lot easier to either translate, or play and figure out what they were saying via online translator (if you can't read spanish)
you do know about the french translation, right?

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Frankly, given the vigor of the Neo Geo community and retro gaming's rise in general, I'm shocked this hasn't been translated into English yet.

This is near the top of my list of "To Play" Neo games. I just can't get passed the language barrier.

My Spanish kind of sucks, but I might give it a try in Spanish. At least I'd understand *some* of it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It's not. I finally got around to buying a new PC :buttrock:
wRZRkX179V8WI.gif