Hey Guys, MVS to AES converters..... which is the best?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

vinnieboy1

New Challenger
I have the magic key. It works perfect with all my games. I have about 40 games and There is no scaling issues at all. I would get the magic key

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Do the Build-In Menu's of these converters ( like the Magic-Key with its own upgradeable Bios ) interfere with the Functions of the Uni-Bios ? Or do they disable the onboard Bios anyway?

if you download the latest version from neoflash team the magic key bios is disabled if your neo geo has a unibios installed.
But the magic keys cheat menu doesnt work with every game on multicards, some games you can select the cheat-menu/region-start-select screen but most dont so you have to hold the left button to start the games on multi cards.

NightRnR

n00b
Necro-Bump!
I heard that the converter from JapanGameOnline is a rebranded converter. Anyone know which one it is (not Phantom or Daedalus, I'm sure)?: EDIT, clone of Fusion

*Phantom-1
*Super MVS Converter 2
*Daedalus MVS to AES Neo-Geo Converter
*Neoflash's Magic Key converter
*Fusion Converter

Or am I missing one?

I just got a Magic Key and am really liking it so far. I do wish there was a good, updated, and convenient comparison of all available though, just to see the perks and disadvantages of the options.

I think I get the gist of it though.
Phantom 1: early converter that has a few compatibility issues and a less stable design (doesn't hold the cart well)
Super MVS Converter 2: Has scaling issues, but works well otherwise
Neoflash's Magic Key converter: Some report issues with their system, but good when it works
Daedalus MVS to AES Neo-Geo Converter: best out there, but most expensive, compatible with NGDT games
Fusion converter: no Shell, but glitch-free (all but NGDT and some boots)
JapanGameOnline: clone of Fusion

I'm sure someone else can do better and fix my generalizations.

But then there are issues depending on power supply and whether 5v or 9v systems. And I hear of problems with practically all of them (except maybe Daedalus) at some time when I search for topics. Glad mine seems to work fine. Anyways, this is the closest topic to comparing all converters in one spot that I could find.

Last edited:

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff. Save that hard earned cash and use it towards a Daedalus. Cheers.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Don't buy a stupid fucking converter, buy a NeoSD and be done with it once and for all.

zouzzz

Geese's Thug
The best converter is a CMVS.

Aa small comparison between Neo MVS Adapter For Neo Geo AES New / CMVS / Magic Key 2016 :
tableau.png

Link : http://bidouillouzzz.blogspot.com/2017/10/review-du-neo-mvs-adapter-for-neo-geo.html

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They weren't DOA. Most just never shipped.

I'm curious, is there anyone on here that ordered one back in the day that didn't get it? Supposedly when he started selling them again he got called out about the first run and he claims that everything was eventually shipped out. I was one of the few that actually got mine in the US.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'm curious, is there anyone on here that ordered one back in the day that didn't get it? Supposedly when he started selling them again he got called out about the first run and he claims that everything was eventually shipped out. I was one of the few that actually got mine in the US.

I could be wrong. Looks like he's taking back-orders.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, you were right, I was in on that indiegogo or whatever was used originally. At the time it seemed like I was the only US backer that got his converter.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't understand why people still want to buy converters. Let me not even bring up the most common sense purchase which guys already mentioned, THE NEOSD. These OG gamers just don't want to hear that shit so why even bother. So I'm going to break it down for the guys that just love to buy Original Games.

You buy a Aes, you might find one on the cheap for $150 possibly, most likely in bad shape. One of these Converters cost around $200+. A Quality CMVS costs around $350-450. If you plan on buying whatever Game is cheapest on both formats (Aes/Mvs), you're still going to shell out hundreds if not thousands for the original games.

What I'm trying to get at is if You're willing to spend a shit load of money on OG Neo Carts and Hardware, Why not just do it the right way? Buy a CMVS for MVS Carts and Aes Console for Aes Carts. Might as well look for a Arcade Cabinet too while you're at it if you have the space of course.

If you want to be a Cheap Ass but still play on Original hardware than just buy the cheapest MVS Board you could find, the Crappiest Supergun around, and a 161-1 cart. If you want to be a OG than get your wallet ready because I for-see you spending thousands in your future. I've owned some of these converter and would not recommend them.

Last edited:

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Just to make it clear: I fucked up with the initial Fusion Indiegogo run.
Didn't plan things correctly, couldn't handle not having enough money and a bunch of angry people at the same time.
Orders were taken care of in the following months though. That was years ago.

In the meantime I set up an ugly page with a waiting list for those who still want to buy new ones: http://furrtek.free.fr/fusion/
No payment in advance so no mess-up possible. Also only had 1 DOA out of the 75 I built until now.

The one from the Spanish guys (Japangamesonline) is an exact functional clone. The CPLD's (chip which does most of the work) bitstream is a 1:1 copy.
Funny that they bothered dumping the bistream and that they've redrawn the board layout when they could have just used the publicly available files lol.
The only difference with the Fusion is that it has a plastic case and it's sold twice the price.
I also doubt they're testing each one before shipping...

Here's my suggestions if you absolutely need a converter:
If you're on the cheap, not in a hurry, and want a guarantee that all original games will work perfectly (except sometimes MS X, as stated on the page): get mine.
If you want the same thing with a pretty plastic shell for twice the price, with no guarantee at all, or if you're in a hurry: get the Japangamesonline one.
If you're rich and/or don't have an Unibios on your AES already, get one of the latest Magic key.

All converters still being manufactured today have the logic right. Assuming your system is powered correctly, if they're not working, 3 things:
-Manufacturing defect.
-NG: DT MVS games. They need the backup ram so I've been told they won't work on AES.
-Shitty bootlegs/multicarts pushing the limits too far.

Otherwise yeah, there are 1-slot MVS boards for $40 on eBay.

NightRnR

n00b
Okay, questions are more or less answered, thanks zouzzz and furrtek, not sure where I read the DOA claim but I will amend my post on that. So it's basically a clone of yours furrtek?; that's a shame, similar situation as the GDEMU clone, I assume?

Otherwise, I figured I'd get these kind of responses (get NeoSD, Daedalus, or Consolized MVS), but if you can't ask Neo-Geo questions on a Neo-Geo forum and get Neo-Geo answers, where can you?

Mini-rant cause I feel like it:
I'll do what I want with my system though, thank you very much. It's mostly novelty for me. I don't want every single game or anything, just a few obtainable and fun carts to play on my normal AES home system.
No one has to understand why.
I have emulation and Console ports for the other games anyways. A NeoSD would just cheapen it for me for this particular system (in both cost and experience). Again, no one has to understand why. I do understand the inherent value of the NeoSD from a gaming standpoint (as I'm an Everdrive, PSIO, Rhea/Phoebe, SSS3, USB3DO, etc owner and general system softmodding fool). I just didn't want to go that route this time.

But what's wrong with documenting converter carts in one place for no other reason than because they exist (the main point of my other post)? Put a disclaimer of the illogical motivations if needs be, but I've heard it all before.

BTW, I know advice is all well intentioned. But a bit lost on me I'm afraid, this time. I already have my converter cart and Metal Slug 1-3 on the system. I'll get a few other games, but I'm happy with my decision.
I only posted because I was curious about the others and wanted to fill in the gaps about their functions.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Well, I meant that I've been notified about only 1 converter which was DOA. Assuming that buyers would immediately tell me if they received something that didn't work.
If that happened to someone and I'm not aware of it, please let me know !

I'm not well informed about the GDEMU but I believe the original design files weren't public ? If that's the case, I'd understand the designers being pissed off about clones.
The fusion converter was open hardware from the start, anyone who wants to make some theirselves can.
The thing about the clone is that they took the send-device-to-China-to-copy-it route when they could just have used the already made files.

Already had a laugh when zouzzz took apart the one he bought. Dumping one a month ago and seeing that the bitstream is the exact same brought even more laughter.

But I'm not pissed at all about that, it's just funny that they had to spend money to have it reverse-engineered when they could have just downloaded the files for free :p

Edit: also this lol
lolmailjgg.png

Last edited:

NightRnR

n00b
Ah, yes having public files does change things. GDEMU is a one man gig and the clone has the potential to really undercut his business.

Lost in translation I thinks (abut the Fusion clone). Ignorance is the only reason I can think of for doing more work on a copied product.

Probably would've bought one of yours though, just didn't know it was still an option to order at the time.
But I guess it's nice to have a taste of a unibios-lite on my stock AES system with the Magic Key converter. Was given a nice deal on it too, so not complaining.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
The files are from Kyuu & me but they were deliberately published. The thing is very bare-bones indeed, and doesn't look as good as all the others with shells. I'll STFU about it now.

Last edited:

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Here's my suggestions if you absolutely need a converter:
If you're on the cheap, not in a hurry, and want a guarantee that all original games will work perfectly (except sometimes MS X, as stated on the page): get mine.

All converters still being manufactured today have the logic right. Assuming your system is powered correctly, if they're not working, 3 things:
-Manufacturing defect.
-NG: DT MVS games. They need the backup ram so I've been told they won't work on AES.
-Shitty bootlegs/multicarts pushing the limits too far.

Wrong. The Daedalus works with anything you throw at it. -----> http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

I don't argue that the NeoSD is a wonderful tool. But I chose a Daedalus because of its reputation of being the best converter plus I already had a growing collection of MVS titles. I remember a few months ago contemplating purchasing a CMVS before I bought my converter. I was told convincingly that the best CMVS in existence is the AES. Buying the Daedalus made more sense to me (since I already owned an AES) and is also a much cheaper option than buying a CMVS which typically run around $6-700 USD.

Now, I am a layperson when it comes to the NeoSD. I am unclear on how you can fit the entire Neo Geo library on one cartridge and claim it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Every physical game has its own proprietary pcb set which begs the question: How does it solve that issue? My guess is through emulation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that akin to using an emulator on a PC or one of the multicarts?

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Can't see where I'm wrong in that quote. Didn't even mention the Daedalus.

Edit: Oh, about NG: DT games. Ok, I didn't know that. Wonder if he added the necessary RAM or if the games are patched on the fly.

Last edited:

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Every physical game has its own proprietary pcb set which begs the question: How does it solve that issue? My guess is through emulation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that akin to using an emulator on a PC or one of the multicarts?

No, it uses FPGA. FPGA chips can essentially be programmed to 100% mimic one or more different ICs, or even entire circuits, given the FPGA is beefy enough to handle it. Unlike emulation, which is an approximation of the console in software, the FPGA when programmed well, will operate just the same as the real deal. It's far more accurate than software based emulation on PCs and whatnot.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Can't see where I'm wrong in that quote. Didn't even mention the Daedalus.

Edit: Oh, about NG: DT games. Ok, I didn't know that. Wonder if he added the necessary RAM or if the games are patched on the fly.

No problem. FYI: when you say All converters still being manufactured today that would include the Daedalus. But it's just technicality mumbo jumbo.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
No, it uses FPGA. FPGA chips can essentially be programmed to 100% mimic one or more different ICs, or even entire circuits, given the FPGA is beefy enough to handle it. Unlike emulation, which is an approximation of the console in software, the FPGA when programmed well, will operate just the same as the real deal. It's far more accurate than software based emulation on PCs and whatnot.

Okay thanks for the info. One more question: isn't that the same as using eproms?