Hey Guys, MVS to AES converters..... which is the best?

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Which of these works best? I have a ton of MVS games and the AES counterparts are just too expensive. Any recommendations?

Phantom-1
http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/ha...tems/phantom-1-convertor-phtm1-sys-detail.htm

Super MVS Converter 2
http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/ha...ertor-ii-mvs-aes-blue-led-snmc-acc-detail.htm

Daedalus MVS to AES Neo-Geo Converter
http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

Neoflash's Magic Key converter
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=7535.0

Which of these do you guys own? If this type of thread has been posted before I heavily apologize.

Thanks

tomboy2k3

NEST Puppet
Super MVS Converter 2 - everything works fine

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I had a very bad experience so far with the Magic Key from neoflash. The one i got was defective (bad sound). I wasn't the only one who got a defective magic key. Since he is in china sending it back to him was very expensive (80$ minimum for a tracking number). I took a chance by sending it without a tracking number by air for 25$. Guess what, it been 2 months and he hasn't received it yet! That was on top of the 2 week that i got stupid suggestion like clean your cart even tho i had the same problem with 3 games on 2 different AES (a 5V and a 9V) . So now i have a Omega CMVS and a 300$ lesson don't buy expensive shit from China that may arrive broken .

Last edited:

StaticX

15 Year Member
I had a very bad experience so far with the Magic Key from neoflash. The one i got was defective (bad sound). I wasn't the only one who got a defective magic key. Since he is in china sending it back to him was very expensive (80$ minimum for a tracking number). I took a chance by sending it without a tracking number by air for 25$. Guess what, it been 2 months and he hasn't received it yet! That was on top of the 2 week that i got stupid suggestion like clean your cart even tho i had the same problem with 3 games on 2 different AES (a 5V and a 9V) . So now i have a Omega CMVS and a 300$ lesson don't buy expensive shit from China that may arrive broken .

FUCK! I'm so sorry to hear that bro! :'(
I have a cab, its with my parents so i got an AES to at least have something to play at home...... BIG FUCKING PRICE DIFFERENCE lol
Didn't know the dude was from China, Super MVS is like 1-2 hr drive away from me. I was reading the that the Super MVS has scaling issues. Can anyone confirm that?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Almost all converters have the possibility of scaling issues, but it can vary from system to system. I've had a couple of Phantom 1s used with a couple of different systems and never had the issue, but plenty of others have.

The Daedalus is the only perfect converter, but for the price you could just buy an Omega. I've also had good luck with the Fusion, but most people that ordered one never got it.

StaticX

15 Year Member
Almost all converters have the possibility of scaling issues, but it can vary from system to system. I've had a couple of Phantom 1s used with a couple of different systems and never had the issue, but plenty of others have.

The Daedalus is the only perfect converter, but for the price you could just buy an Omega. I've also had good luck with the Fusion, but most people that ordered one never got it.

Thanks dude. Never had any idea the system itself could be an issue. Would a modded AES matter as much?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Mods don't really matter, the issues seem to be random. For example, with the Fusion I have now it will not play Metal Slug X. Other people with the same converter can play X just fine.

I think the converters are nice to have, but as a backup to a good cmvs due to their finnicky nature. Plus, they cost too much, for the price of the Super Mvs Xian Xi could probably make a budget cmvs for you.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Mods don't really matter, the issues seem to be random. For example, with the Fusion I have now it will not play Metal Slug X. Other people with the same converter can play X just fine.

I think the converters are nice to have, but as a backup to a good cmvs due to their finnicky nature. Plus, they cost too much, for the price of the Super Mvs Xian Xi could probably make a budget cmvs for you.

This.

I have a Super MVS 2, and for the most part it works very well. However there are all sorts of edge cases that seem to be specific to the AES/converter combo you have. On mine, Metal Slug X doesn't boot. For others it does. On mine there are massive scaling issues with Windjammers, but others can get it to work fairly well.

You should really consider a CMVS with Unibios from Xian or an Omega if you play a lot of MVS games. Once I went CMVS I never went back to my AES.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've had good luck with the magic key but I feel it puts a ton of force on the cartridge connectors. I had shit luck with the Super Mvs 2, horrible scaling issues. Avoid converters all together if you can and just buy a cmvs.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Non 5v systems are missing a connection that is present on 5v systems that makes MSX work. You can mod the fusion with a switch to make it work.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Non 5v systems are missing a connection that is present on 5v systems that makes MSX work. You can mod the fusion with a switch to make it work.

Wouldn't it be better to reconnect the signal on the system side so it works with more converters?

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Cannot say which is best, but I have a Daedalus and it's worked flawlessly on everything I've tried on it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have the Magic key and so far it has played all the carts I've thrown at it, even the 161-in-1, all the Metal Slugs, all the KoF, aero fighters 2 & 3, Garou, NAM, shock troopers...

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
There is a mod for Phantom-1 that will get around the scaling issues and MSX compatibility. Problem with Fusion converter is that a significant number of backers who received theirs found the converter to be dead on arrival and had to send them back to furrtek, so apparently it's got some other issues that need fixing as well.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I use the Magic Key, and I swear it's the best thing I bought for my AES. So far, everything I've thrown at it works perfectly, including Multicarts. The only thing that didn't work properly was Sonic Wings on my 100-in-1, there was sound funkiness there. Handles scaling like a champ, and having unibios built in is nice if your AES is still stock.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Daedalus is the best you can get but the price very much reflects that plus some people don't care for the physical design. Personally it doesn't bother me and if I could afford one it is what I would have.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I have the Magic key and so far it has played all the carts I've thrown at it, even the 161-in-1, all the Metal Slugs, all the KoF, aero fighters 2 & 3, Garou, NAM, shock troopers...

Regards.

I use the Magic Key, and I swear it's the best thing I bought for my AES. So far, everything I've thrown at it works perfectly, including Multicarts. The only thing that didn't work properly was Sonic Wings on my 100-in-1, there was sound funkiness there. Handles scaling like a champ, and having unibios built in is nice if your AES is still stock.

These are pretty much my summation. It's worked with everything I put in it. I've bypassed the on board bios, since my AES is modded.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Do the Build-In Menu's of these converters ( like the Magic-Key with its own upgradeable Bios ) interfere with the Functions of the Uni-Bios ? Or do they disable the onboard Bios anyway?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Daedalus is the best you can get but the price very much reflects that plus some people don't care for the physical design. Personally it doesn't bother me and if I could afford one it is what I would have.

plus there is the notoriety of the builder. i would find it difficult to even consider owning one due to his actions.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wouldn't it be better to reconnect the signal on the system side so it works with more converters?

I'm sure you could, I never looked that far into it. Just going off what David told me a long time ago.

Do the Build-In Menu's of these converters ( like the Magic-Key with its own upgradeable Bios ) interfere with the Functions of the Uni-Bios ? Or do they disable the onboard Bios anyway?

You have to press a button on the converter to bypass your internal unibios, you have to do this each time you change a game. Someone did a mod with a switch to completely bypass it.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I have a magic key and a Fusion converter, so far for the cost I would say the fusion is great but no case. the Magic key on the other had I love it no issues with it at all(besides it doesnt like viewpoint where it gives me sound glitches if I dont insert it properly).
So I would go with the magic key personally because of the built in unibios option.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
You have to press a button on the converter to bypass your internal unibios, you have to do this each time you change a game. Someone did a mod with a switch to completely bypass it.

I see. Thanks ! I'm trying to calculate for a friend if it would be more cost effective to get a cmvs or an aes with converter. Like me, he also doesn't like the stacking of carts, and issues with the converter that could arise from some games.So I think it's clear what to recommend.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
If you're talking only cost, there's no question it's cheaper to get a cmvs. And this comes from an AES/Converter user!