Castlevania on Neo Geo,why not?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Have to make it NEO-CD then.

And we all know what that means. :thevt:

I want add-on's and expansions. Make a pimped out Genesis look like the GBA Micro. Screw CD actually, Laserdisc is what was being used in arcades and that's what the Neo is so hook it up with that. If dumb shit like Castlevania on the system is being brought up them I'm going full retard pipe dream.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I want add-on's and expansions. Make a pimped out Genesis look like the GBA Micro. Screw CD actually, Laserdisc is what was being used in arcades and that's what the Neo is so hook it up with that. If dumb shit like Castlevania on the system is being brought up them I'm going full retard pipe dream.

Laseractive AES/CD pac that sticks out the front of the player like a tumor? Now that sounds '90s.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Wavetable my ass. Neos have FM synthesis chips and the NGCD uses (or CAN use) 44kHz/16bit stereo WAV/CDDA tracks. Do you own one? Ever heard the difference in quality between FM/low-fi sample-based tracks and their CD counterparts (AoF3 comes to mind)?

Yeah, I get it, the cool duderz hate on the NGCD.

FUCK THAT.

One more of these posts and I'm going to turn green, tear my shirt and go on a n00b-bashing spree. :mad:

I mean, really, the amount of inane bullshit that gets posted in News & Rumours and General Discussion these days is simply amazing. Seems that more than half of the people just post here to rack up their postcount.

This won't be left unanswered, I'm going to do something about it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, ban anyone that talks shit about the CDZ.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why not just have someone build a NGCD clone system with a 100x speed drive? XD

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Most Time I prefer the Chipsound to CD-Quality Music.I'm odd I guess. :)

It would be even more awesome if there would be an easy way to just "upgrade" the Original Hardware to get that Speed.

On Topic: I would love to see a Castlevania Type Game on the Neo :)

Last edited:

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug

Because we don't like shards of plastic shooting out of our CD drives at supersonic speeds? :lolz: There's a reason PC drives never went about 52x after all.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
This thread reminded me that I should finish playing Super Castlevania IV.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

Thats funny you say that because I was reading this thread and thinking about playing it tonight.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Wavetable my ass. Neos have FM synthesis chips and the NGCD uses (or CAN use) 44kHz/16bit stereo WAV/CDDA tracks. Do you own one? Ever heard the difference in quality between FM/low-fi sample-based tracks and their CD counterparts (AoF3 comes to mind)?

Yeah, I get it, the cool duderz hate on the NGCD.

FUCK THAT.

One more of these posts and I'm going to turn green, tear my shirt and go on a n00b-bashing spree. :mad:

I mean, really, the amount of inane bullshit that gets posted in News & Rumours and General Discussion these days is simply amazing. Seems that more than half of the people just post here to rack up their postcount.

This won't be left unanswered, I'm going to do something about it.

Wow, I did not mean to touch a nerve here. The NGCD absolutely can support a very high quality soundtrack, but the majority of games produced for it feature "remixed" music from the original, and all of it sounds like it was produced with some freeware patches and about ten minutes in Cubase. This is not a criticism of the hardware, but of the production that went into the tracks. This isn't even so much a NGCD problem, PlayStation ports of Neo games have the same situation. Listen to KoF 99's Women's Team track in the original versus the CD remix.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
What's with this current trend of wanting the Neo Geo to be something it wasn't? It's an arcade system, and has very specific styles of gameplay that are compatible with an arcade experience. I mean, I guess the CD system had an RPG and would work for it, but god, why not just buy a Saturn if you're interested in this kind of thing?

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
What's with this current trend of wanting the Neo Geo to be something it wasn't? It's an arcade system, and has very specific styles of gameplay that are compatible with an arcade experience. I mean, I guess the CD system had an RPG and would work for it, but god, why not just buy a Saturn if you're interested in this kind of thing?

1390826439108.png

Why not, why not, why not.

Why not try something new? Just because I always worked at the same job doesn't mean that I can't switch up and learn something else. Just because the Neo back in the day was an 'arcade' machine doesn't mean that is all it could or should do!

For crying out loud, the system is a bona fide sprite pushing MONSTER...there's no telling what kinds of games it could really and truly pull off, but people like you would never have us find out since you're too busy shooing trick or treaters off your lawn! Go be grumpy about new ideas somewhere else.

Last edited:

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Why not, why not, why not.

Why not try something new? Just because I always worked at the same job doesn't mean that I can't switch up and learn something else. Just because the Neo back in the day was an 'arcade' machine doesn't mean that is all it could or should do!

For crying out loud, the system is a bona fide sprite pushing MONSTER...there's no telling what kinds of games it could really and truly pull off, but people like you would never have us find out since you're too busy shooing trick or treaters off your lawn! Go be grumpy about new ideas somewhere else.

*shrug* Hey, I'm just saying that there's probably very little chance you'll get this kind of thing on Neo Geo, but the Saturn is an incredible garden of delights when it comes to the sort of thing folks are normally looking for beyond the standard Neo fare. Like, for example, Taromaru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJwF-QgFUk

The Saturn is also a sprite monster, and this game is basically a funky 2 player Castlevania. When I first got into Neo Geo, I was all like "OH MY GOD THIS THING COULD DO SUCH GOOD RPGS." But you know what? That's just a wall there's no reason to bang one's head against.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

haha me too. I haven't been past stage 3 (got busy) and now I just feel like I should start over

powerflower

Banned
The Yamaha 2610 alone would kill the muffled SNES soundchip to begin with. Super Castlevania 4 is the best intallement in the series in my opinion. No Rondo is very good but a little bit overrated.

Graphically we should know how this would work up after Magician Lord:)

Just listen to this, awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5zsCRsvxw @ 0:53 we can hear the birth of Dubstep (Hipsters go home, haha)

A really original game from SNK just like ASO II with its even more kick ass soundtrack:)

Thank you SNK and Alpha.

Long games such as castlevania wouldn't fit very well on arcade platforms.

You mean like Wonder Boy in Monsterland which took nearly an hour to complete? Part 1 as well. There is even some shmups that took a long time to 1cc like Zero Wings from Toaplan (70 Minutes+). Same with Magician Lord...

Most Time I prefer the Chipsound to CD-Quality Music.I'm odd I guess. :)

No you're not;) It's like real time graphics against prerendered FMV sequences.

The Neo has the best chip sound of all time. Saturn sound couldn't emulate the clarity of SNK games due to limited sound Ram although it had a far more advanced Yamaha whereas the Neo streamed all data happily from Rom. What an awesome architecture the Neo is.

Ok after Dreamcast and PS2 chip sound was no problem but a little bit boring beacuse there where no limitations.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

No, you're absolutely right.

Some people just don't get it therefore they don't give a shit. Videos games are videos games, and taste is subjective. Nothings sacred blah blah blah.

But, if you don't have a contextual perspective to care about a said subject's function and it's previously established identity, you won't care if it get's exploited to function as something it wasn't originally.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm not trying to throw gasoline on this thread but I could easily say that the first Castlevania would work well on the Neo. I love IV but the pacing is a little slower than what I would expect from an arcade title.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm not trying to throw gasoline on this thread but I could easily say that the first Castlevania would work well on the Neo. I love IV but the pacing is a little slower than what I would expect from an arcade title.

From a pacing and play style perspective, that's a fair statement.

I just want to stress the fact that a noob made a really good point (OH MY GOD), and got told off with pretty weak rationale.

Last edited:

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

I think III would probably work pretty well too, and the pathing system would do well with a few gameplay tweaks. Magician Lord works well, after all.

But I mean, I'm not really arguing with the fact that any game would be great on Neo hardware. If it's 2D and properly treated, anything could be incredible on it. I just feel like there are a lot of threads lately asking for "NEW GREAT NEO GAMES" as if it's some kind of brand new console. I suppose to a lot of people starting up collections right now, it is.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Castlevania on the Neo Geo would be too hectic. With a huge meg count, there would be endless bats and waves of monsters(with massive sprites). I guess they could make it like Ganryu with a lower meg count that would feel more like a SNES game.

Moria/the man

New Challenger
I'm down with a Castlevania on the NEO. Def not a port though. I think they could do something epic.