Looking For Help Starting A Japanese PSN Account

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hey everyone. I have a few questions about starting a Japanese PSN account.

I imagine that it can't be that difficult to do in terms of getting started. Pick Japan as my region and just set up the account. No big deal. Let me know if I'm off the mark on this count.

What I'm really looking for is information on accessing the Japanese PSN store. As someone living in North America, my questions are:

1.) Do I need to fear being blocked from the Japanese market for any reason, living in North America?

2.) Do I need to fear my PS3 being banned for doing this kind fo activity?

3.) Provided I get access to the Japnese PSN store without issue, how do I pay for stuff? Can I just use an existing CC? Do I need a Japanese CC? Can I buy Japanese PSN cards off eBay/Amazon/wherever?

4.) Can I still have the displayed language be English, understanding that there may not be English language options/text for some content on PSN?

Looking forward to any advisement anyone can offer. Thanks.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
1.) I've never been blocked and see no fear in it.

2.) I've had a JP account since I had my original 60GB PS3, no bans.

3.) Most have to pay via JP PSN cards as CCs outside of JP don't work. You can get JP PSN cards off many import sites.

4.) Yes on English displayed language. However, you know and already stated how things work with that regarding text/options.

At one point I had a UK, HK, and JP account as I was grabbing demos to try things out during the early to mid age of the console.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the ps3 gives no fucks about foreign accounts. I use a hk account since it has mostly the same content as a jp account but when I set it up the hk store was in English while the jp store was on Japanese. Apparently this isn't the case anymore.

I buy prepaid cards from Play Asia, they will email the codes. It's pretty great.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hey everyone. I have a few questions about starting a Japanese PSN account.

I imagine that it can't be that difficult to do in terms of getting started. Pick Japan as my region and just set up the account. No big deal. Let me know if I'm off the mark on this count.

What I'm really looking for is information on accessing the Japanese PSN store. As someone living in North America, my questions are:

1.) Do I need to fear being blocked from the Japanese market for any reason, living in North America?

2.) Do I need to fear my PS3 being banned for doing this kind fo activity?

3.) Provided I get access to the Japnese PSN store without issue, how do I pay for stuff? Can I just use an existing CC? Do I need a Japanese CC? Can I buy Japanese PSN cards off eBay/Amazon/wherever?

4.) Can I still have the displayed language be English, understanding that there may not be English language options/text for some content on PSN?

Looking forward to any advisement anyone can offer. Thanks.

No
No
Buy from feebay or elsewhere
Yes but not on PSN

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
everyone has answered all your questions, so you should be good to go. There are also video guides out there that walk you through it. I know when i created a Japanese PSN account many of the things you had to fill out were in Japanese. The guides let you know whats what when filling them out.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Everything is covered. Only thing I'll add ia to shop around on getting the JP PSN points. Some sites like Play-Asia do run sales time to time to clear out old code stock every now and again. You always want to go with digitally delivered codes.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
When I filled out my detalis I named myself (real name) something like Boxcow Noodles or some shit. Sony doesn't care.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I've read about people doing this before, what are the perks? I am guessing psn titles not available here alongside dlc?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Yup, and its generally cheaper than paying import costs. Like this week Under Night In Birth comes out, and I really want it. BUT with me knowing its coming to America early next year I don't want to pay full price for the import physical copy. I can pay roughly $10 less and still get the whole game. Now this is also made better if you have someone that you share with and you two split the costs.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I am up and running, guys. Thanks for all of your good advice.

Grabbed a shitload of PSN points from Play-Asia. I love their digital system of delivery. Doesn't take too long for confirmation and it works like a charm.

I've already DLed all the stuff for Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record 0081. I really wish they'd release this and Side Stories in the states.

There's not much of a reason for this, but if anyone wants to friend my JP account, it's MrReyRock. If you, by some strange twist of fate, also own Battlefield Record 0081 and want to co-op some missions, I'm down.

I really like the game a lot. Unsurprisingly, they've found a way to make a Gundam game grindy. This is so much better than Crossfire, a truly terrible game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've read about people doing this before, what are the perks? I am guessing psn titles not available here alongside dlc?

Yeah, I used mine to buy a lot of PS1 shooters that never came out in the states and are really expensive to import.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I used mine to buy a lot of PS1 shooters that never came out in the states and are really expensive to import.

If I did this, would I be able to play them alongside my US games on my PSP?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Only if your PSP is registered on your PS3 with that japanese account.

Alternative:
Spoiler:
just download the ROMS

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

No, unfortunately. You can't have multiple PSN accounts on a PSP or Vita. Just hack the PSP.

I have used remote play on the PSP and Vita to play them. The lag makes it pretty unbearable, but hey, it's fun for a few minutes. Plus, easy to tate a handheld!