Scart switchbox hack - RCA --> RGB for Sony PVM / BVM (pics)

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just thought I’d share with you a quick and simple scart switchbox hack, which allows you to connect a Sony PVM / BVM monitor via the RCA terminals on the switchbox in a secure fashion without the need for expensive and often dodgy ‘handmade’ Scart BNC breakout leads.

The switchbox in question – a Hama AV100S clone (very much recommended – I have also the Hama one and other than being a lot cheaper it pretty much looks the same and works exactly the same as the original):

pic1.jpg

As you can see the bank of RCA outs on the right hand side provides Audio R, Audio L and Comp Video/Sync out. The other bank is pretty much redundant since it the same as the above only on the ’In’ side – e.g. Audio R, L, Comp Video Sync In.
Inside the switch box:

pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG

So what I basically done was to utilize the one bank of ‘In’ RCA terminals and make them output RGB:

pic4.JPG

Its pretty simple - using a multimeter check the connections, cut the existing traces and tap into the RGB signals.

End result:

pic5.JPG

Tried and tested it on a Sony BVM and this works fine – the RCA connection on the switch box side is very secure (unlike the way some scart plugs, especially those without all the pins populated sit in the sockets and cause interference etc.) so all one needs is a RCA -> BNC adapter for each of the four cables (v. cheap - I got 4 for equiv. c.a. $2 and in all honesty got ripped off, since should have paid about $1 for the set) and you're done.

The switchbox makes for very easy hacking – you can rewire it to get any other stuff you may need via the RCA sockets or maybe rewire the Scart for a Japaneese pinout if that’s what you need etc. and the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Hope this comes in useful.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Clever hack!

Thanks - I got the idea since I wasn't happy with my Scart --> BNC cable and while looking at alternatives found the below adapter:

rgbs.jpg

I was thinking of purchasing it but then realised that in effect the needed RCA terminals are already in the switch box so instead of stacking one adapter on top of another a simple rewiring job sorts the matter out.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
You probably noticed this from the posted pictures of the PCB but just to give you a heads up that the switcher is a common ground device. This comes in handy, since essentially it means that when making your own cables you can skip daisy chaining the grounds together inside the Scart connector, which required as per a lot of the available console wiring diagrams.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, by way of an update - the mod is working really well for me (no interference / colour shifts which I had with my Scart--> BNC break out cable). In the meantime I added another mod - basically tapped into the audio L & R channels and run this out the back of the switch box via a 3.5mm female minijack 'piggytail' cable thus meaning I now have the L and R RCA outs to utilise.
For one of these, I was planning to basically duplicate the composite video / sync out since the existing one is utilised for sync when running the monitor in RGB.
For the other I would like to convert stereo-to-mono so as to run it to the BVM monitor and if need be use its mono speaker but my gut feeling is that its more complicated than just bridging the L and R channel. Do I need to buy / build a mixer? Or perhaps I need to put some resistors on the L and R lines before they merge? Since I want both stereo out and then further on downstream a mono out combining both channels simply shorting the L and R would not seem to be the answer.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
You're too much of a newb, you'll get more permissions with more posts/time. Here are the images: http://imgur.com/a/s5fvv

This is a cool hack. I will probably do it tonight myself.

Thanks! I had no idea. I was able to view the images once I think, but maybe my permissions were wonky.

I'm going to order a switch and hopefully get it hooked up with a PVM, I'll be sure to report back once I have everything up and running.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Thanks! I had no idea. I was able to view the images once I think, but maybe my permissions were wonky.

I'm going to order a switch and hopefully get it hooked up with a PVM, I'll be sure to report back once I have everything up and running.

Perhaps you were not logged in to the forum.
The actual mod is pretty much as simple as things can get and it is one which I would 100% recommend - no need to inccur additional expenses ordering custom cables, very secure connection and possibility to use RCA cables, which are cheap and plentiful giving you a simple option to easily change e.g. the length of your cabling.
Obviously, any RCA cables will do but its nice to do this with colour coded cables. Also worth running an RCA cable from Sync out to Composite in on the PVM / BVM - for those sources using cvideo for sync this means you can switch between RGB and Composite on the fly and you can also connect composite sources directly to the scart switchbox via a scart to composite adapter saving the hassle of fiddling with the connections on the back of a PVM / BVM.

Last edited:

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
This is a very creative Hack . I really need to practice my soldering skills more !

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I did this hack last night. About as simple as hacks get. Thanks MtothaJ

mohawk33

n00b
This is very interesting! i currentliy purchased an PVM-20M4E and now i am looking for good and cheap connection solution! This looks awesome and way cheaper than this BNC/Scart cables with sync stripper...

But i got a few questions. Does anybody know if my PVM Modell needs a sync stripper or will it work without it? I want to connect 3 scart switches (with RGB; Neo Geo MVS, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1, PS2. Xbox1, Mega Drive daisychained together to my PVM. Is this possibe or do they all use different syncs?

Is the Hama switch still usable in its normal way after this hack? so can i still hook up consoles to the AV1, AV2 and AV3 scart in?

Why do i need 4 RCA /BNC Adapters?
I thought that you only connect R, G & B to the BNC connectors of the PVM? or am I forgetting something? Sorry i am totally new to the PVM/Sync and BNC world ;-)

This will be my first hack! looking forward to it! looks like a solder - noob like me could handle this ;-)

Thanks a lot guys!

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
This is very interesting! i currentliy purchased an PVM-20M4E and now i am looking for good and cheap connection solution! This looks awesome and way cheaper than this BNC/Scart cables with sync stripper...

But i got a few questions. Does anybody know if my PVM Modell needs a sync stripper or will it work without it? I want to connect 3 scart switches (with RGB; Neo Geo MVS, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1, PS2. Xbox1, Mega Drive daisychained together to my PVM. Is this possibe or do they all use different syncs?

Is the Hama switch still usable in its normal way after this hack? so can i still hook up consoles to the AV1, AV2 and AV3 scart in?

Why do i need 4 RCA /BNC Adapters?
I thought that you only connect R, G & B to the BNC connectors of the PVM? or am I forgetting something? Sorry i am totally new to the PVM/Sync and BNC world ;-)

This will be my first hack! looking forward to it! looks like a solder - noob like me could handle this ;-)

Thanks a lot guys!

Just to confirm that:
- its a very easy hack to do even for people who are just starting out modding
- no sync stripper required for the PVM-20M4E
- as for the RCA / BNC adapters these are required since the connectors on the PVM side are BNC connectors and not RCA. To get RGB on the PVM / bvm you need to connect 4 signals: R, G, B and Sync. So you will basically be connecting R, G, B, Sync via RCA cables from the switchbox and on the PVM side placing RCA / BNC adapters on each RCA cable to connect to the monitor
- the scart switch box is perfectly usable after the mod - should you wish you can still output the image via a scart cable through the scart out socket and the scart inputs etc. remain unchanged. All you are changing is what signals get routed to the RCA sockets on the switch
- as for daisy chaining the is no reason why this should not work but obviously one needs to be aware that the more connections are made the more possibility of interference / signal degradation etc. At one point I tried daisy chaning the Hama and Vivanco together and this worked out fine, so you shouldn't have problems in this regard.

Let us know how you get on and in case of any questions ask away.

mohawk33

n00b
Allright! Thank you so much! I will keep you informed how it worked out.

Unfortunately i will receive the PVM in about a week.. so i have to wait a bit to enjoy this RGB heaven ;-)

mohawk33

n00b
Just wanted to say that everything works just fine! I now have the PVM 2040 for testing and the mod works wonderfull!!!

It was very easy! :-)

Thanks MtothaJ!!!