The 1990s were twenty years ago

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No, not really...

So many want to think the 80's were some good-time decade...and most didn't live through it.

For the most part, the 80s sucked. People were broke, we were still in the Cold War...many people blamed the government.

The media of the 80s depicted this glamorous time full of excess but for most Americans, it was a near depression. Bread/milk/cheese/peanut butter lines and food stamps are what most lived on. Unemployment was sky high, interest rates were at loan shark levels...it sucked.

So it's like today.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
:DSorry but the 80's beat the 90's

I feel like every thing were doing is just a rehashed, pumped up version of the 80's... think about it. The 80's was the beginning of the tech we use everyday and the start of heavy drug use, hollywood, music, sports got bigger (steroid and hgh use), and George HW did proclaim a new world order in the 80's lol. Nothing has been the same since then, but then again its more or less been the same since then. I was born in 89 but Im from miami and my dad was a cowboy so all i hear about is the era between 78 and 89.

Alle

n00b
No, not really...

So many want to think the 80's were some good-time decade...and most didn't live through it.

I was born in 1973, so I remember the 80's like the years of my childhood as well as those born later will remember the 90's with a nostalgic state of mind.

For the most part, the 80s sucked. People were broke, we were still in the Cold War...many people blamed the government.

The media of the 80s depicted this glamorous time full of excess but for most Americans, it was a near depression. Bread/milk/cheese/peanut butter lines and food stamps are what most lived on. Unemployment was sky high, interest rates were at loan shark levels...it sucked.

Like Italy today :lolz:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You're good with this math thing! The future is yours

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I mostly play 80s and 90s games and generally only listen to 80s and 90s music.

Those 2 decades will live forever in my mind.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

Same. And I primarily only watch 80s and 90s movies. Practically all of my entertainment choices are nostalgia-based.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

Is that what the 80s was for you? Were you 40 or something when the 80s rolled around?

I lived through the 80s and had a very different experience as a kid. Ninja Turtles came out, I had a blast with the NES, there was an arcade at every corner, and Dragonball burst onto the scene. I think welfare cheese was the last thing on my mind, or Reganomics.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
80's >>>>> 90's

Not trying to be a dick to anyone, but it's just a fact.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Is that what the 80s was for you? Were you 40 or something when the 80s rolled around?

I lived through the 80s and had a very different experience as a kid. Ninja Turtles came out, I had a blast with the NES, there was an arcade at every corner, and Dragonball burst onto the scene. I think welfare cheese was the last thing on my mind, or Reganomics.

Yes...yes it was that way for me. B-R-O-K-E.

Having the power turned off every spring, waiting in lines to get free dental work, food stamps. When you're broke and live food stamp to food stamp...you don't really get to be a kid. My family was nomadic, we lived in 3 states and moved at least 12 times by the time I was 8 in 1985.

To add to that...TMNT, the NES, the return of the arcade...those things were LATE 80's...meaning '88/89. 1983, 1984, 1985...things weren't going so well at that point for much of America.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I wasn't expecting this to turn into some 'which decade was better?' thing.

Hell, I wasn't even saying the 90s were good or bad. I was just saying they happened 20 years which feels weird to me because I still remember a lot of shit from them pretty damn clearly.

That meme is almost 5 yrs old now.

Meme?

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
LOL, join the neo-geo mid life crisis club, how time just fucking fly huh guys. It's coming up to almost 20 years since I graduated high school in the late 90. How often do you pass a high school and think to yourself that none of these kids including the seniors weren't even born when you graduated, puts things in perspective does it. Hell back when I was in high school only the richest doctors and drugs dealers had cell phones and the internet was just barely going mainstream, these kids now days are far more privileged to say the least having easier access to technology that we did not have or could not afford.

I was watching wrestling with my cousin son and I did not recognize any of the modern wrestlers so I went on a rant about back in my day it was called the WWF and wrestlers like the LOD and DiBiase had more personality. My cousin son looked at me and said who the heck are those people and it was at that ime I finally realized I had finally turned into my elders who I once called old farts. I was playing super smash brothers with another young relative and I kept calling Princess Peach Princess Toadstool because that was her name when I was growing up.

Yeah remember when we were all young and hip but now here we all are now talking about how much greater the decade that we grew up in was so much superior to the here and now. You might find it hard to believe but once upon a time your parents were young and hip, it's a circle of life guys. We have essentially become our parents now with most of us being between 35 to our early 40 with kids of our own, face it people it had to happen we can't stay young forever.

I bet when you were younger and hurt yourself you just shrugged it off but now when the same mishaps go down getting back up almost requires a defibrillator. So we should all just look at our parents and behold our geriatric futures. I personally am the oldest living male in my biological family and I haven't even hit forty so I probably will not have to go through that geriatric future going by the medical history of everyone in my gene pool with a Y chromosome and the fact I already had some serious medical shit go down. I'm routinely the target of old fart jokes from my brother and cousins but it's cool though because I still get carded when I go out since I don't apparently look my age.

Ha, I remember getting my first real computer in the mid nineties. It was a pentium 90 mhz and I think it had 8 mb ram and a gig hd space and I remember thinking 1 gig, man I'll never fill that up. I had a zip drive too and logged on to aol via 14.4 dialup. I bought my first 2X cdrw drive for $300 with my first tax return after I started working. I know this is subjective but music was better and had way more substance in the 90's. It does seem like a blur since then. I graduated HS about 15 years ago now and was glad to leave. Personally getting older doesn't bother me; to me it's just an inevitability such as death and taxes. My wife is having a hard time with it though as she's approaching 30 and it freaks her out. I miss certain aspects of that time of my life as I miss certain aspects of my mid 20's as well but I am happy and comfortable with my life as it is now. Going to parties and doing crazy shit was fun and I miss it sometimes but there's no way I could keep up with that lifestyle now. Now every now and then I have a cocktail or two I don't get ramped up like I used to; I get tired and ready for bed =P

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Time is just a number we created to measure what we can't control. Fuck that! I'm young forever!

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,

I don't care for 80's music but I'm with you there about the games. I don't have anything against violence or realism in games but I tend to prefer games that are obviously "cartoony" or fake. Even something simple like mario; those games were just more fun and simplistic. I've tried to get into COD and games like that as I like fps games but just couldn't get into it. I played Duke3d, doom, heretic, quake, rise of the triad, etc and enjoyed them. Even played against friends on duke3d over the phone lines. The only recent kind of game I could get into was GTA San andreas but even then I don't play the missions, I just drive around and cause havoc and use cheat codes....simple immature fun.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yes...yes it was that way for me. B-R-O-K-E.

Having the power turned off every spring, waiting in lines to get free dental work, food stamps. When you're broke and live food stamp to food stamp...you don't really get to be a kid. My family was nomadic, we lived in 3 states and moved at least 12 times by the time I was 8 in 1985.

To add to that...TMNT, the NES, the return of the arcade...those things were LATE 80's...meaning '88/89. 1983, 1984, 1985...things weren't going so well at that point for much of America.

Are you blaming your childhood on the 80s? That's kind of like somebody hating the 90s because their pops couldn't hold a job. I think when people are talking about a specific decade, they're speaking more to pop culture (music, movies, games, etc). You can't pigeonhole the 80s to just the middle of the decade, either. 1980 - 1989 is the 80s. The 80s had the video game crash/rebirth, awesome music, and cool movies. I can't remember any kid who was thinking about the cold war in the 80s. We were all about Super Mario cereal, Iron Maiden, and Knight Rider.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Man I hated zip disks, my computer graphics classwork was erased like 4 times in two years. I had backups, but damn did it cement the idea that you needed them.

Oh man, I know your pain. I had a comp sci class and we had to create a simple program using some programming language that I'd never heard of (something jr I think). Due the second week of class and my zip disk had erased itself.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Are you blaming your childhood on the 80s? That's kind of like somebody hating the 90s because their pops couldn't hold a job. I think when people are talking about a specific decade, they're speaking more to pop culture (music, movies, games, etc). You can't pigeonhole the 80s to just the middle of the decade, either. 1980 - 1989 is the 80s. The 80s had the video game crash/rebirth, awesome music, and cool movies. I can't remember any kid who was thinking about the cold war in the 80s. We were all about Super Mario cereal, Iron Maiden, and Knight Rider.

Are you for fucking real?

Seriously?

You're rating the 1980s on what was available in the media?

...so you lived in a bubble and rated a decade by the availability of cartoons, TV shows, video games and music...

Sorry you're so shallow but some of us had the ability to see past a fucking television back during that time. If you choose to look at things that way...fine, ask most adults how life was during that glorious decade and I bet they'll give a vastly different point of view.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I enjoy nostalgia, but I'm not trying to be one of those people trapped in the past.
I know a lot of people that just listen to music from their teen's-twenties.

Youtube is full of people that buy ridiculous amounts of stuff.....for Nostalgia. Their lives revolve around this.

We are weird people.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Are you for fucking real?

Seriously?

You're rating the 1980s on what was available in the media?

...so you lived in a bubble and rated a decade by the availability of cartoons, TV shows, video games and music...

Sorry you're so shallow but some of us had the ability to see past a fucking television back during that time. If you choose to look at things that way...fine, ask most adults how life was during that glorious decade and I bet they'll give a vastly different point of view.

Not sure how old you are smokehouse but I was born 1981 so I viewed it much like others here - Good times!

Financially I don't think it was an overall bad decade either until very late in the decade after the 1987 stock market crash. From what I am told by the generation before me the 80's were an extremely prosperous time, so much so that it ended up leading to the crash and the recession fall out that was more early 90's.

This illustrates it perfectly for you: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia19802000.html

You can see the massive rise in the dow after 82 all the way up to the crash, took a year or so for the fall out to really hit so the "good times" lasted until the late 80's. By comparison the graph shows the first half the 90's is very flat.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Ha, I remember getting my first real computer in the mid nineties. It was a pentium 90 mhz and I think it had 8 mb ram and a gig hd space and I remember thinking 1 gig, man I'll never fill that up. I had a zip drive too and logged on to aol via 14.4 dialup. I bought my first 2X cdrw drive for $300 with my first tax return after I started working. I know this is subjective but music was better and had way more substance in the 90's. It does seem like a blur since then. I graduated HS about 15 years ago now and was glad to leave. Personally getting older doesn't bother me; to me it's just an inevitability such as death and taxes. My wife is having a hard time with it though as she's approaching 30 and it freaks her out. I miss certain aspects of that time of my life as I miss certain aspects of my mid 20's as well but I am happy and comfortable with my life as it is now. Going to parties and doing crazy shit was fun and I miss it sometimes but there's no way I could keep up with that lifestyle now. Now every now and then I have a cocktail or two I don't get ramped up like I used to; I get tired and ready for bed =P

I did not own my first computer until 03 and I built it from salvaged components. I forget the specs but I still actually have it disassemble in a box somewhere for legacy support.

I'm pretty close to hitting 40 but don't give a fuck because I'm a guy and only women ages really matter.

:DSorry but the 80's beat the 90's

The only good thing about the 80's was made in the 2000's, that thing being GTA VC

Last edited: