Modern MVS Shockbox Insert Design

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
My goal is to create a new shockbox insert that is based upon modern design features and retains the original art assets (or as much as possible). I'm going to create inserts for my collection, but I hope to eventually have content for every release.

I'm still in the process of refining my template file, so I'll post the different versions below.

I am always interested in scanned images, so please contact me if you are able to support this project.

VERSION 1: Metal Slug 4
MVS-Template-3.jpg

VERSION 2: Metal Slug 4
Metal-Slug-4-v3.jpg

VERSION 2: Neo DriftOut
Neo-Drift-Out-v8.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions? Scans?

Last edited:

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
It's alright, but it dosn't really differentiate itself enough from what's already available to bother with I think. Push the design more, aim for something that people don't already have.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yeah i really like this. it has a modern look to it, i like the icons, i like the colors used, i really like the arcade mini marquee going on on the back. obviously the front is great, the title poster grounded with the logos. just great. i don't know why but i really like the MEGS on the spine personally. it just is super interesting in the brain to connect the game data with a number and easily compare with other games.

it does look reminiscent of the original but i really like it. in the end it is pleasing to the eye and i would be happy to have it on my video game shelf.

impressive and you deserve more comments on your work.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
yeah i really like this. it has a modern look to it, i like the icons, i like the colors used, i really like the arcade mini marquee going on on the back. obviously the front is great, the title poster grounded with the logos. just great. i don't know why but i really like the MEGS on the spine personally. it just is super interesting in the brain to connect the game data with a number and easily compare with other games.

it does look reminiscent of the original but i really like it. in the end it is pleasing to the eye and i would be happy to have it on my video game shelf.

impressive and you deserve more comments on your work.

I appreciate the encouragement, thank you. I'm working on Neo Drift Out right now and will post when ready. I'm not 100% satisfied with the design template, but it's getting there.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Here is NEO DRIFT OUT - NEW TECHNOLOGY.

I'd love to get my hands on some scanned art assets, but what I was able to find will have to do... for now. Yes, the cover is supposed to look that way - old mixed into something new :-D

Neo-Drift-Out-v3.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Here is NEO DRIFT OUT - NEW TECHNOLOGY.

I'd love to get my hands on some scanned art assets, but what I was able to find will have to do... for now. Yes, the cover is supposed to look that way - old mixed into something new :-D

View attachment 17284

thoughts:
-get a vector image instead of the raster of the car
-spine doesn't seemed balanced i.e. you much negative space around the title. Could enlarge "neo drift out" or use a similar style font as from the logo?
-move the logo so it's not on top of the wing. either enlarge it and move to the bottom right (in the smoke)? would create a nice contrast.

Last edited:

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Taking a slightly new direction with this Neo Drift Out update. I finally found the cover art that I wanted to use to look similar to the official Neo Geo CD release... but I had to compose 3 separate images to get the background size that I needed.
Neo-Drift-Out-v6.jpg

Things to do:
- Fill top part of game info section (where the car image is located)
- Capture some game images
- Recreate the location license plates
- Recreate the ESRB icon (using the appropriate era version)
- Include TM icons where appropriate
- Re-balance the copyright section's empty space
- Create a new way to display the NGH number on the back - add to template so it will be consistent for every game

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Taking a slightly new direction with this Neo Drift Out update. I finally found the cover art that I wanted to use to look similar to the official Neo Geo CD release... but I had to compose 3 separate images to get the background size that I needed.
View attachment 17420

Things to do:
- Fill top part of game info section (where the car image is located)
- Capture some game images
- Recreate the location license plates
- Recreate the ESRB icon (using the appropriate era version)
- Include TM icons where appropriate
- Re-balance the copyright section's empty space
- Create a new way to display the NGH number on the back - add to template so it will be consistent for every game

How about colored buttons with white font?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Avoid blowing up images on nearest neighbor. Use Bicubic method for better results. Small fonts mean small hard to read print, work on your spines, work on your layout, you're trying to be innovative but all in the wrong direction. There is a format already established, south town could provide you with the templates and while you're there perhaps even look at some of the top notch repros and full frontals. Not everyone is a keeper but some of the renditions are pretty superb. Mine are...

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Avoid blowing up images on nearest neighbor. Use Bicubic method for better results. Small fonts mean small hard to read print, work on your spines, work on your layout, you're trying to be innovative but all in the wrong direction. There is a format already established, south town could provide you with the templates and while you're there perhaps even look at some of the top notch repros and full frontals. Not everyone is a keeper but some of the renditions are pretty superb. Mine are...

I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I'm not fond of the inserts found at Southtown that typically use the "lets make the MVS inserts look like the AES ones" nor am I interested in "single picture" style inserts. What I'm trying to accomplish is a modern MVS design with modern insert characteristics using as true-to-source as possible art assets.

I'm not a Photoshop expert, actually I'm completing all my work in Photoshop Elements, but I really enjoy the artistic process - very peaceful (and time-consuming)!

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I'm not fond of the "lets make the MVS inserts look like the AES ones" nor am I interested in "single picture" style inserts. What I'm trying to accomplish is a modern MVS design with modern insert characteristics using as true-to-source as possible art assets.

I'm not a Photoshop expert, actually I'm completing all my work in Photoshop Elements, but I really enjoy the artistic process - very peaceful (and time-consuming)!

I got you. I see now what you are trying to accomplish and I think you're unto something, it could turn out pretty cool but personally I'd think about placing things differently. I like the placement of the stripes and the color scheme order, it does feel modern. That's what's so much fun about the MVS, at this day an age you can do pretty much anything you want with it, I think that's what really grabbed me at first with the switch from AES to MVS. We were making side stickers for the MVS carts, inserts, labels, oh jesus you name it we were doing it. It can be a lot of fun, good times.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm still not satisfied, and had to resort to copy & pasting text from Wikipedia to describe the game... ugh. Visually, it's getting closer to where I want it to be.

Neo-Drift-Out-v7.jpg

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
At first I liked the simple spine art/text as well, but then I saw the collection thread where the guy had every MVS game in shock boxes. The spine art looked awesome, and I thought that plain text would look boring.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I've updated the original post with a near-final version of Neo Drift Out. I'm not sold on the controls design, but everything else is good.

praedicator

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Several years back I made a whole bunch of MVS shockbox inserts for people. I'll dig through the archive to see if any of the art assets still exist.

Great job resurrecting the project with a modern design!