Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If AI was the ranking for a game's worth then ROTD would be more expensive than SSVS.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
ROTD is absolutely vicious. i dont think i ever even beat the second level on 1p mode.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
You should, I'll even throw down $100 that says you can't beat Giby or Noc in a first to ten in Garou in an offline match when you are ready.

I'll definitely lose right now as I haven't touch that game in yeeaaaaaarrs. But I welcome some casuals if I make it to evo for next year.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MOTW is the first game I bought on MVS and I still own that copy.

Zoel

New Challenger
I still think Garou MOTW is the greatest fighting game of all time. The game is one of most balanced fighters, and the during release it has some of the best 2d graphics I have ever witness, almost good as Street Fighter 3, but not quite there. The gameplay was also very accessible without getting too technical despite having alot of tricks like move canceling, to just defend. As for me personally I loved the character, Rock looks badass without being too emo, and I much prefer the older Terry without the Hat.

Though maybe I am giving a bias answer, because Geese gave me nightmares from the original FF?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I still think Garou MOTW is the greatest fighting game of all time. The game is one of most balanced fighters, and the during release it has some of the best 2d graphics I have ever witness, almost good as Street Fighter 3, but not quite there. The gameplay was also very accessible without getting too technical despite having a lot of tricks like move canceling, to just defend. As for me personally I loved the character, Rock looks badass without being too emo, and I much prefer the older Terry without the Hat.

Though maybe I am giving a bias answer, because Geese gave me nightmares from the original FF?
With the Just Defend you can do it without taking a risk, as you are already blocking, so you won't take an unblocked hit. Whereas with the parry in SF3, you have to leave yourself open, so you're taking a bigger risk.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It still not as easy at it sounds but DJDelly showed off big time with a super completely JD'ed at the meet up, now that's a true Garou player.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
With the Just Defend you can do it without taking a risk, as you are already blocking, so you won't take an unblocked hit. Whereas with the parry in SF3, you have to leave yourself open, so you're taking a bigger risk.

JD'ing is way easier, less strict, and a million times more safer than a 3s parry for sure. For the most part in a multi hit combo/super/special move if you get the first JD you can basically mash out the remainder of the hits provided you get any hi/low variations correctly in you mashing.

EG's super was with Hotaru which is all high hits after jd'ing the first hit you can basically mash out the rest of the super fairly easy. JD'ing Butt's Ryuuko Ranbu is where the fun is along with JD'ing people doing feints cancel combos in their sleep...

Super jumps and short hops do not allow for air JD'ing btw.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
JD'ing is way easier, less strict, and a million times more safer than a 3s parry for sure. For the most part in a multi hit combo/super/special move if you get the first JD you can basically mash out the remainder of the hits provided you get any hi/low variations correctly in you mashing.

EG's super was with Hotaru which is all high hits after jd'ing the first hit you can basically mash out the rest of the super fairly easy. JD'ing Butt's Ryuuko Ranbu is where the fun is along with JD'ing people doing feints cancel combos in their sleep...

Super jumps and short hops do not allow for air JD'ing btw.

One thing I love about JD'ing is that it gives you a smidgen of health back. It's fun when it's a close match and each player is down to the last couple lines of health. We always play with infinite timer because of it.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
One thing I love about JD'ing is that it gives you a smidgen of health back. It's fun when it's a close match and each player is down to the last couple lines of health. We always play with infinite timer because of it.

For garou I do like 90 second rounds for the same reason. And I'll jd like a mother fucker to get back into T.O.P.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
JD'ing is way easier, less strict, and a million times more safer than a 3s parry for sure.

While JDing is safer because if you time it too early you get a block, it's actually more strict than the SF3 parry. JD comes out if you press back within 7 frames of the attack landing. Parry comes out if you tap forward (or down for low parries) within 10 frames of the attack landing. The biggest difference is that you have to return to neutral with a parry or else you get a "dirty" input, which is stricter at 7 frames. With JD you can just keep holding back. The mash principle works with both, if the JDd (or Parried) attacker continues with an attack that would combo all you have to do is return to neutral and then to back (or forward) before it lands and it will work.

Red parry has to be within like 4 frames though, that mess is almost impossible.

Also JD gives you health, Parry gives you meter.

My thoughts on Garou are this, the more you play it the more the phenomenal balance and polish of the game really become obvious. It wasn't my favorite Neo fighter in the beginning, although it was pretty high up, but it's definitely the one me and my friends keep coming back to over and over again.

When the gimmicks of other fighters wear out, Garou is just a great solid game, and a heck of a lot of fun.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
While JDing is safer because if you time it too early you get a block, it's actually more strict than the SF3 parry. JD comes out if you press back within 7 frames of the attack landing. Parry comes out if you tap forward (or down for low parries) within 10 frames of the attack landing. The biggest difference is that you have to return to neutral with a parry or else you get a "dirty" input, which is stricter at 7 frames. With JD you can just keep holding back. The mash principle works with both, if the JDd (or Parried) attacker continues with an attack that would combo all you have to do is return to neutral and then to back (or forward) before it lands and it will work.

I know i've put more time into Garou than 3S, but parrying multi hit combos to me is way harder than JDing one.

My thoughts on Garou are this, the more you play it the more the phenomenal balance and polish of the game really become obvious. It wasn't my favorite Neo fighter in the beginning, although it was pretty high up, but it's definitely the one me and my friends keep coming back to over and over again.

When the gimmicks of other fighters wear out, Garou is just a great solid game, and a heck of a lot of fun.

Spot on in my opinion.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
While this is, of course, purely subjective and a matter of personal opinion, I feel like MotW gets a lot of love because it appeals to a wider audience than just the usual SNK crowd. It came out around the same time as 3rd Strike and resembles a Capcom game more than it does a traditional SNK game mechanically. It dumped a lot of the complexity of previous Garou games (awkward pretzel motions, plane shifting) and the easy-chaining of the Real Bout games and replaced it with slightly more forgiving controls and a more muted, softer color palette (I always felt like the older FF games had strict timing).

A shame SNK closed up shop shortly after its release as a couple of further refinements of that formula (with a larger roster and some tweaks to a couple of the systems) could've produced an all-time great game in the genre. Same with Last Blade 1/2. Those games really figured out weapon-based combat and SNK never really got a chance to properly iterate on it. A shame in general that SNK has become a hollow shell of itself. I feel like between the resurrection of the fighting game genre and the birth of the "indie" scene, the old SNK could've really fit in well in the modern gaming landscape. C'est la vie.

All that said, I can totally understand why some folks who love the charm and the feel of the older games wouldn't be in to it. To each his own. Garou is my favorite FF game and among my top 5 SNK fighting games (along with KoF '98/SS2/LB2/KoF XI).

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
In 2005 it was $80, it actually hasn't gone up very much in 9 years. It's a great value game, great game at a reasonable price.

It's mainly shooters (on MVS) that go up in value over time. Even the popular fighters don't go up much, unless they're rare.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
images