Favorite console revision, redesign, reissue or alternate version?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
The following has been properly spaced

1. Game Boy micro (only problem is no GB/GBC games, but I have plenty of systems that can play those)

2. Nintendo DSi (like the backlit SP, the DS Lite has a low response time screen. And the original DS model is frontlit, so the DSi wins by default)

3. Xbox 360 S (because it actually fucking works!)

4. PSP-2000 (faster load times, more ergonomic, better screen, more durable than its predecessor)

5. Atari Lynx II (much smaller and more portable, more durable and reliable, a little better on batteries)

1. toploading NES. Fuck RF only output

2. Genesis model 3

3. Backlit SP (see above)

4. PSP Go (Yes, I'd like to pay way more for a
PSP that doesn't play all the PSP games, please!)

5. Model 2 SNES. No S-Video=fuck off.

1. The micro was too small for a real man, sure it has hardware advantages but thats all lost on a childs toy feel/grip. GBA SP fo sho!

2. I agree, and the DSi was the first of the XL line (continued today in 3DS XL). Playing GTA: Chinatown on XL wtf!

3. Totally agree, the launch 360 was the worst! I got a 'jasper" later, which was better but finally RRoD'd the same.

4. Yes! Don't forget, PSP-2000 was the first to include 64mb of RAM, emulators/homebrew can take advantage of this.

5. Meh? I can't say because I never liked the Lynx period! ;)

1. You must be joking! A cart port that actually... IDK... Works?! Who cares if its RF only (out of the box) it still rulez.

2. So many things about the Genesis 3 sucked, it was region free which I guess made it suck a little less, but still trash.

3. Meh (see above)

4. No way, GO was the worst in the PSP line, once you've installed custom firmware. I say 2000>GO>3000>1000.

5. Missing S-Video?! It produces the cleanest image in the SNES's (only the "1chip" comes close) line. S-video is for wanabe CRT godz anyways, real pros stick with RGBs.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
.As for the OP, I think the Sega CD 2 is a lot better than the original.

The CD2 is more space efficient, but the original looks damn good by itself and with the original Genesis.

I'm not too picky with the loss of features on revisions:

1) Genesis 3: looks good and is compact. The design of the "3" is pretty bad ass too.

2) SNES mini: same as above.

3) NES mini: more reliable and easy to use than the original. I always played my NES using RF (even the toaster), so I don't mind.

4) 360 Slim: just performance wise, I love this system. MS got the durability right with this thing. Still my most played system. Looks so much sleeker than the original as well.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have large hands and I've never had a problem with the micro. The layout makes it comfortable enough for me.

Strangely enough my least favorite handheld to hold is the Vita, because of the incredibly cramped layout despite the enormous size of the unit. I still love the doomed little bastard of a platform, but I had to buy a grip for it. Not like I take it anywhere with me anyway, so I don't lose anything.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
my vote goes for the micro too, the famicom revision specifically. got a little cramped after long periods, but never played for long periods anyways. at least it had a headphone jack, the SP cant say that lol

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
my vote goes for the micro too, the famicom revision specifically. got a little cramped after long periods, but never played for long periods anyways. at least it had a headphone jack, the SP cant say that lol

Yeah, proprietary headphone jacks blow. At least adapters for the SP to plug in standard headphones are common and cheap. It took me ages to track down a headphone adapter for my Wonderswan Color that didn't cost 80 fucking dollars.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
2. So many things about the Genesis 3 sucked, it was region free which I guess made it suck a little less, but still trash.

There is no "region free" genesis. The region lock is within the cartridges from mid 1992 and beyond. You mean, "The genesis 3 had a wide enough cart slot for me to fit in and play non region-locked Mega Drive games.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Like others have said previously, the WonderMega is a pretty sexy console. I also really like the Panasonic Q. It reminds me of something you would see in some 80's Sci fi flick

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I love the design of the smaller PSOne. So convenient with the stature and the ability to have a small screen on it for portable awesomeness.

Semi-portable, but I concur! I love my PSOne w/ the LCD screen:

gwQcQWw.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The ps3 slim and the xbox 360 slim.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The CD2 is more space efficient, but the original looks damn good by itself and with the original Genesis.

I'm not too picky with the loss of features on revisions:

1) Genesis 3: looks good and is compact. The design of the "3" is pretty bad ass too.

2) SNES mini: same as above.

3) NES mini: more reliable and easy to use than the original. I always played my NES using RF (even the toaster), so I don't mind.

4) 360 Slim: just performance wise, I love this system. MS got the durability right with this thing. Still my most played system. Looks so much sleeker than the original as well.

The SCD2 is not as pretty as the model 1 but it is much more versatile.

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I find the Wondermega too hot, pure nineties goodness:

images

images

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Its all about the neo cd front loader.

Yup, front loader is king!

By the way, Jassin... do your homework. The SNES mini lacks RGB too, so it's not just shit for the "wannabe CRT godz". It's just shit.

And I disagree with the SCD Model 2 being space efficient... it makes the whole setup twice as wide as it should be. Stacking with the Model 1 FTW.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
PC Engine Duo all the way

Good choice though I enjoy the US one as well even if it is more minimal on the colors than it's import counterpart. I also love the look the PCE Duo-R as well.

Other revision/alternate systems I like include the PC Engine LT, the Sega CDX, The PSOne w/LCD Screen, The PS3 Slim (the non-sliding lid one), and the round buttoned Saturn. :)

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Damn, this thread just reminds me how I love the design of so many of my consoles... I guess as no one has bought it up, am I alone in thinking the Jaguar looks cool?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Damn, this thread just reminds me how I love the design of so many of my consoles... I guess as no one has bought it up, am I alone in thinking the Jaguar looks cool?

I liked how the Jaguar looked also... I just never owned one for some reason

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
With the Jaguar CD it really looks like a toilet...which is fitting because the system is pure shit.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Now, I like the Sega Master System. The looks are so-so. However, I prefer to use this bad boy:

Sega-Mega-Drive-Master-System-Converter-Power-Base-1-010.JPG

Especially with the Model 1 (which is badarse, btw). Not a redesign, but fuck you guys. In the ass. With a cactus. Twice.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Pretty much the PS2 Slim for me. It felt like such a big improvement over the original PS2, especially when it comes to reliability & size. Only downside is that the HDD doesn't work with the Slim.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
You fucking beer-bellied sharecroppers. SegaSports blak DreamCast.

Also, Duo+this:
su5apemy.jpg
because The Great Spacecoaster.