Alternative to EA Genesis cases for STV and Atomiswave carts

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I was looking for an alternative to the EA Genesis case to store Atomiswave and STV carts. Mostly cause I didn’t want to go all over town looking in pawn shops for cheap and crappy EA Genesis title to get a case from. I was at a local electronic store (for the Montreal users, it was Addison), and found a black VHS tape box that does the job. They’re extra cheap (49 cents each, and probably even cheaper in the US) and hold an STV cart (face down, with a bubble wrap to protect the label) perfectly, as well as Atomiswave carts (with a half cut of one of the VHS holder ring). Both fit without any rattling around.

Obviously, art wise, you’re kind of limited as it’s a 1/3 sleeve. But price wise, I’d say that it’s really hard to beat. I know online there’s full overlay ones (but not in the store I went to), so those might be a better option if you ordering them online anyway. For the ones interested, I made a PS template for both Atomiswave and STV for the 1/3 sleeve art (hit me up and I’ll email them your way).

Here’s what it looks like with art and with a cart in it.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
That looks decent. Is there a manufacture's name molded on the inside or outside? You know, like DVD/Blu-Ray cases will have "Amaray" or whoever made the case molded on the inside spine or whatever.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
That looks decent. Is there a manufacture's name molded on the inside or outside? You know, like DVD/Blu-Ray cases will have "Amaray" or whoever made the case molded on the inside spine or whatever.

I’ve just inspected every inch of the case, and can’t find any branding whatsoever.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It looks like those old VHS cases you used to buy. I never understood why they had no sleeve for artwork.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
It looks like those old VHS cases you used to buy.

Well, yah, they look like that cuz that's exactly what they are. I remember owning a few of these back in the day. Have no clue why, as I would just use the standard cardboard slip for most of vhs tapes. Guess it came from loaner tapes. I've managed to make 9 labels so far, 5 STV and 4 Atomiswave for the games I own.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I think usually these were used either in a professional studio that just needed info on the tape and maybe some home movies, I'd like to get about 15 of these for my STV carts. Do you have a template for the artwork possibly?

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I think usually these were used either in a professional studio that just needed info on the tape and maybe some home movies, I'd like to get about 15 of these for my STV carts. Do you have a template for the artwork possibly?

Shoot me your email by PM and I'll send it your way. If there's genuine interest, I'll try to find a place to host the templates as well as the current insert I made so far.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I used to use EA cases for Atomiswave and they were pretty decent, particularly the cart being an exact fit. I switched over to miniboxes and just cut foam for them. Having miniboxes for PGM, NAOMI and MVS, it all ties together quite nicely.

For ST-V I use UGC's (Universal Game Cases) - you have to notch out all the innards, but it's easy once you get it down (I use a Fein Multi-Master and it takes about 30 seconds per case). I prefer those still to this VHS style case due to the artwork - that 1/3 artwork would drive me crazy, plus I have no skill when it comes to sizing. Using the UGC's, you can print from coverproject and it is already sized perfectly for those. Additional options are always good though for sure - thanks for sharing what you've found.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I used to use EA cases for Atomiswave and they were pretty decent, particularly the cart being an exact fit. I switched over to miniboxes and just cut foam for them. Having miniboxes for PGM, NAOMI and MVS, it all ties together quite nicely.

For ST-V I use UGC's (Universal Game Cases) - you have to notch out all the innards, but it's easy once you get it down (I use a Fein Multi-Master and it takes about 30 seconds per case). I prefer those still to this VHS style case due to the artwork - that 1/3 artwork would drive me crazy, plus I have no skill when it comes to sizing. Using the UGC's, you can print from coverproject and it is already sized perfectly for those. Additional options are always good though for sure - thanks for sharing what you've found.

I quite agree with you that it's not the most beautiful option. The main purpose was availability and cheapness.

By miniboxes, you mean neominiboxes I assume? Those are indeed nice. But I've now completed my Neo collection, and this means I already have over 160 shockboxes. There's no way in hell I would switch now. Already cost me an arm and leg. So anyway, there's no way for me to get the STV and Atomiswave matching the Neo collection....and although I love shockboxes, I feel it's silly to use big boxes like that for small carts like Atomiswave.

Plus, black makes it fit well among the black shockboxes, which are also located in a black billy shelve.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Yeah, neominiboxes, all are custom to the cart (PGM / NAOMI / MVS) though Atomiswave has custom (attractive) spines, he uses the MVS box for those and then you cut an insert to hold the cart. They are quite attractive. With 160 shocks...yeah, wouldn't make sense to switch. I had about 30 when I went the other route - glad I did, but I wouldn't have in your situation.